Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Modular/fully-modular PSU for new build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modular/fully-modular PSU for new build

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Good afternoon fine OCN members

It's been a fair few years since I did my last build but with Ivy Bridge around the corner I'm considering my second build. First time around I went for a fairly beefy PSU [800w] thinking I might go crossfire, alas I never did. Although I do run a fair amount of drives and fans in this current machine I do think I could really downsize my power needs with this next build and plan on being a bit more conservative.

Although the build is obviously a couple months off I've started thinking PSU because I'm planning to get that first and do a bit of sleeving job on the cables. As far as spec its fairly rough as I wait for the details of IB:

IB CPU [TBD]
mATX mobo [TBD]
2x4GB DDR3 [will upgrade to 4x4GB in the future if I determine the need]
Blu-ray drive
SSD [either the Vertex 2 in my current machine or a new SATA3 drive depending on budget constraints]
Single GPU: ~7870 or Kepler equivalent depending on how price/performance turns out [no intentions of X-fire /SLI, cards are getting pretty expensive as it is and I think a single GPU should provide for most of my gaming needs at 1920 x 1200]

Possibilities:
2.5" or 3.5" drive for extra storage if needs be

As you can see it's a fairly lean build and I haven't yet decided on whether I will stick with air cooling and a decent HSF or try WC with something like a Crosair H80, space and noise will be the main considerations there.

I've had a quick go on the PSU calculators and was getting just under 500W recommended for a spec like that so I'm thinking I should be looking at a 550-650W supply and I want to go modular or fully-modular if possible to match with my limited spec.

So my main question is regarding getting a good reliable brand. Now around the time of my first build I remember reading a fair bit about how the Corsairs were good reliable PSUs but I've been doing some reading and I'm hearing the newer ones are not living up to the reputation that the former ones had earned? There seems to be so many brands and product segments nowadays that I'm a little lost on where to look, so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA wink.gif

Edit: sorry forgot to mention that I'm UK-based so some of the US brands are not available here
post #2 of 13
A solid 450W unit would be plenty for that.. what is your budget and where are you buying from?
post #3 of 13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256064

I have the 1200w version of this PSu and its a dream with cable management, i havent heard anything bad about Silverstone psu and its working like a charm for me for over a year now. i would recommend getting something like this since you want a modular psu, and that is 100% modular.
post #4 of 13
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 Evga GTX560Ti 448 FTW Evga GTX560Ti 448 FTW 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Crucial M4 SSD 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Alphacool NexXxos 480 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 7 Ultimate Iiyama ProLite E2273HDS Corsair Vengeance K90 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone Strider+ 850 Silverstone Temjin TJ07 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 Evga GTX560Ti 448 FTW Evga GTX560Ti 448 FTW 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Crucial M4 SSD 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Alphacool NexXxos 480 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 7 Ultimate Iiyama ProLite E2273HDS Corsair Vengeance K90 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone Strider+ 850 Silverstone Temjin TJ07 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
@Unorginal Sin: Sorry, forgot to mention those points - I'm in the UK and budget-wise I was hoping £100 max but I realise I don't want to get a cheap, shoddy PSU. You say 450W would be sufficient?

@Phibrizo: I'm having a look for the that in the UK, found this 500W version which is modular:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-psu-silverstone-sst-st50f-p-modular-85eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v2

@allikat: Checking those now, I did look at the Corsair first off but the price is a little high and then I read a few things about some of their new lines not being as good - any ideas which ones are still reliable?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by martianaphid View Post

@Unorginal Sin: Sorry, forgot to mention those points - I'm in the UK and budget-wise I was hoping £100 max but I realise I don't want to get a cheap, shoddy PSU. You say 450W would be sufficient?
@Phibrizo: I'm having a look for the that in the UK, found this 500W version which is modular:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-psu-silverstone-sst-st50f-p-modular-85eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v2
@allikat: Checking those now, I did look at the Corsair first off but the price is a little high and then I read a few things about some of their new lines not being as good - any ideas which ones are still reliable?

The Silverstone Strider Plus 500W is an average(at best) FSP unit, don't buy that.. also, you don't buy power supplies by brand but by specific unit... pick one of these, all good options at different price points.

NZXT Hale82 650W @ £74, Seasonic SS-650AT internally, very good mainstream unit.
BeQuiet E9 580W @ £89, FSP Aurum inside(will return Platinum efficiency at 230v), inaudible, best customer support in Europe.
Cougar GX 600W @ £79, very good Gold unit, excellent value, very quiet and cool, can easily run two 6870s on a SandyB platform so I imagine it won't have issues with two 7870s on an IvyB platform either.
PCP&C Silencer MKIII 600W @ £69, Seasonic S12II Bronze inside, solid mainstream unit.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post

The Silverstone Strider Plus 500W is an average(at best) FSP unit, don't buy that.. also, you don't buy power supplies by brand but by specific unit... pick one of these, all good options at different price points.
NZXT Hale82 650W @ £74, Seasonic SS-650AT internally, very good mainstream unit.
BeQuiet E9 580W @ £89, FSP Aurum inside(will return Platinum efficiency at 230v), inaudible, best customer support in Europe.
Cougar GX 600W @ £79, very good Gold unit, excellent value, very quiet and cool, can easily run two 6870s on a SandyB platform so I imagine it won't have issues with two 7870s on an IvyB platform either.
PCP&C Silencer MKIII 600W @ £69, Seasonic S12II Bronze inside, solid mainstream unit.

I have a hale82 psu, the 24 pin, 4+4 pin, and all 4 pci cables are all none modular. Though each pci cable has two 8 pins connnectors on each line, so theres only 2 cables instead of 4. I also found that the nzxt hale 82 line are all re-branded Seasonic Bronze. And with the <3 thing nzxt has now, its a nice incentive.
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for that info. I didn't realise that so many of these PSUs are actually rebrands from other makers. Is there some kind of list that you can look up which model it actually is or is it a sort of digging mission to find out what the original maker was?

Unoriginal Sin, I notice that two of the supplies you linked state having a single main 12V rail and the other 2 state having 4 x 12V rails. I remember reading that going for a single 12V rail was better is that still the case? or is it more a case of the base unit now?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by martianaphid View Post

Thanks for that info. I didn't realise that so many of these PSUs are actually rebrands from other makers. Is there some kind of list that you can look up which model it actually is or is it a sort of digging mission to find out what the original maker was?
It's sort of a digging mission smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by martianaphid View Post

Unoriginal Sin, I notice that two of the supplies you linked state having a single main 12V rail and the other 2 state having 4 x 12V rails. I remember reading that going for a single 12V rail was better is that still the case? or is it more a case of the base unit now?
It was always about the unit and not the rail configuration.. simply put, multi-rail units are safer, single rail units seem to attract the brain dead crowd more, since some people find it extremely hard to wrap their heads around the whole milti-rail idea(this was in part due to some very poor multi-rail implementations from the likes of PCP&C, Silverstone, etc about half a decade ago.. nothing to worry about now) smile.gif
post #10 of 13
These helped me to gather the information I got when I was recently looking for a new psu after my tx750 went bottom up.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=24

Heres another list.
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Modular/fully-modular PSU for new build