Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Online Deals › Expired Deals › [Newegg] ReadyNAS NV+ (4-Bay NAS) - $199.99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Newegg] ReadyNAS NV+ (4-Bay NAS) - $199.99

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Newegg has ReadyNAS NV+ NAS's for $249.99 minus $50 coupon code.

Edit: Deal is back on, March 14th 2012

Canada: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122010 (PromoCode: CEMCNGJF65)
US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122010 (PromoCode: EMCNGJG67)


If you don't know what a NAS is (Network Attached Storage), you probably don't need it. In my case I use my NV+ to manage backups for all the PCs/devices in my home. It also manages downloads at night so that I can turn off my power guzzling PCs.

I've never seen them this cheap before. This particular model is old (caps out at 25MB/sec) and will probably be discontinued soon. Prior to this sale they were $279.99 (at the lowest) with free shipping. This is an $80 drop, so I highly suspect they're being phased out. These ones are SPARC based - very reliable, but they lack support for newer software. Most newer NAS models are x86 or ARM, both of which have better software compatibility. Quite a few people run Ventrilo or Mumble servers off theirs, and stuff like that, but that's only an option with more expensive x86 units.


...this is overclock.net, so most people will just roll their own and build a FreeNAS box. biggrin.gif But I still thought it was worth mentioning. I built an Ubuntu 9.04 NAS and also owned a ReadyNAS NV+; I'd say for daily use I prefer the prebuilt one. I don't like its limitations (2TB drives max, not much software), but it takes up way less time managing it. I like that it takes care of things and simply emails me when I need to do something.
Edited by Kramy - 3/14/12 at 5:15am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 16
I don't know anything at all about networking or NAS' so I have some questions:

1. Would it be possible to put some drives in one of these and connect to it wirelessly? For example, could my PC, my mom's, and my dad's access the files and write to the disks?

2. Can you run a RAID array in one of these? Particularly RAID 1.

3. Can I "set it and forget it"? I want to just set it up once and just leave it in a closet somewhere to do its job.

If so something like this would be good for my family.
post #3 of 16
Wish it came with a few TBs of storage biggrin.gif
Big Blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 7950 GSkill 16GB 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 Series 64gb Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ASUS 23" VH238H x2 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS-760XP2 760w Antec 902 Mad Catz R.A.T 7 SteelSeries QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 7950 GSkill 16GB 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 Series 64gb Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ASUS 23" VH238H x2 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS-760XP2 760w Antec 902 Mad Catz R.A.T 7 SteelSeries QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

I don't know anything at all about networking or NAS' so I have some questions:

1. Would it be possible to put some drives in one of these and connect to it wirelessly? For example, could my PC, my mom's, and my dad's access the files and write to the disks?

2. Can you run a RAID array in one of these? Particularly RAID 1.

3. Can I "set it and forget it"? I want to just set it up once and just leave it in a closet somewhere to do its job.

If so something like this would be good for my family.
1) Yes. You just plug it into a wireless router. Don't expect exceptional performance - Wireless N peaks out around 11MB/sec under the best of conditions. Probably 8-10MB/sec is more realistic. Or as little as 6MB/sec if you have lots of wireless devices. (They all share part of that 300mbit)

2) Yes. Or you can let it manage everything. Have a read on XRAID.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=331
It's basically a bunch of scripts that handle RAID-1 mirroring, RAID-5 expansion, etc. - but you don't see any of that. You just plug more drives in and it takes care of redundancy.

I started with a 2TB drive, and began learning about how to manage the NAS. It did take me a little while to get the Users/Groups figured out, but after that everything worked well. (I made a group "Family" and stuck all of us into it, then assigned shares read/write access for owner/group/etc.; then I locked it down by restricting access to certain IPs... and my Tomato router (with Static DHCP) takes care of ensuring only those computers ever get those IPs. Should be reasonably secure. thumb.gif I don't have to worry about friends/neighbours accessing my stuff if I give them access to my wireless.

Anyway, when I plugged a second drive in it started RAID-1 mirroring automatically, and emailed me when it was done. Then when I stuck a third drive in (Note: powered down, in both cases), it did a bad sector check on the whole thing, then emailed me to tell me to reboot my NAS. I rebooted it, and it started expanding to a RAID-5 array. All my data was immediately accessible again, and I had 4TB of space instead of 2TB. smile.gif But apparently there's a performance impact while it works - about 10 hours later it emailed me to say it was done, and my volume was redundant again.

It's really simple to manage, once you figure out the quirks. (The WebUI is very slow, but you'll have to tinker around in it a lot while sorting out issues. Occasionally I messed up permissions on a share, so I had to go into there and reset it to get around "Access Denied" errors when trying to delete stuff. tongue.gif ) But that said, it's something that most people could figure out. If you can manage a Tomato or DD-WRT router (any router with modified firmware), then you can figure this thing out too.

3) That's what I'm doing. I think like all new devices, you need to spend a little while learning the ins and outs. But after that, you're pretty much in the clear. There's months and months between me checking its web interface - usually I only do if it emails me.

Hmm... I'm making it sound like a heavenly device - but of course, it does have its cons. The big one is it's running on early 2000's hardware - it just has no muscle for wired gigabit transfers. People on overclock.net have mentioned their FreeNAS builds getting speeds of 110MB/sec or higher. With this thing, the best you can expect is the low 20's. The WebUI is painfully slow - so much so that when I was editing shares and stuff, I had it open in 3 tabs to make it go faster. Also, the SPARC CPU is a big limitation - no Ventrilo or Mumble or other x86 programs, and it's unlikely they'll ever support them. But then again... x86 NAS's are usually $400+; the 4-bay ones can run $600+... there's tradeoffs to reach a lower price point.


There are a few modifications that you definitely have to make to fix a few quirks.

First, if you end up with Firmware 4.1.8, you'll probably want to upgrade to the beta firmware here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222

It improves performance, among other things. After installing it you have to do a "Factory Reset" by holding down the power button on the front for ~30 seconds, which clears all data on whatever drives are in it, and then upgrades its firmware.


If you're into Linux-y stuff, you may want to enable Root SSH access. That lets you get into it and use "Top" to watch CPU usage stats, or mess around with more advanced things.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203

Apt/apt-get might also be handy for installing stuff.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=4216

Oh, and you'll definitely want NoSMBDisconnect to stop Samba/CIFS from disconnecting computers. By default it disconnects devices if they don't access a share in a certain amount of time, causing a delay when going back to that share. It saves memory, but that's a problem in tiny home networks where you'd rather avoid the reconnection time. (Of course, that said... Windows 7 disconnects shares itself after a certain amount of time... unless you edit a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters - DWORD "KeepConn" (no quotes, value in seconds - I used 86400 for one day.))


If you're into downloading stuff, you'll want to check out the Newsgroup/BitTorrent addons listed on their forums:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47

That's just about everything I can think of. If you do go for it, at least you'll hit less stumbling blocks than I did. tongue.gif All this said, I have heard that the new Synology NAS's are better and more user friendly. But I don't want to spend $500+ on one of them, so I learned the ins and outs of the cheaper model. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrianGasol HatesApple View Post

Wish it came with a few TBs of storage biggrin.gif

Me too. smile.gif


One last thing - if using WD##EARS drives in it, head parking has to be turned off. You'll have to google the WDIDLE3 tool, since mods didn't want me to post it here. This applies to every NAS or linux build - by default linux polls drives every 10-15 seconds. WD##EARS drives have an 8 second head park timeout. When idle, after 8 seconds the WD Green's head will park, and then 2-7 seconds after that it unparks... rinse and repeat. You'll burn through the rated 600k head parks at a speed of ~5760 per day. (So 4 months and you'd pass it; the drive will probably fail within 1 year)

Hitachi and Seagate drives are generally more compatible with NAS's out of the box. But you can do some legwork if you want to use WD Greens with a NAS.


Wow, what a post. I think I wrote down almost everything I know about these things... lol.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post

1) Yes. You just plug it into a wireless router. Don't expect exceptional performance - Wireless N peaks out around 11MB/sec under the best of conditions. Probably 8-10MB/sec is more realistic. Or as little as 6MB/sec if you have lots of wireless devices. (They all share part of that 300mbit)
2) Yes. Or you can let it manage everything. Have a read on XRAID.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=331
It's basically a bunch of scripts that handle RAID-1 mirroring, RAID-5 expansion, etc. - but you don't see any of that. You just plug more drives in and it takes care of redundancy.
I started with a 2TB drive, and began learning about how to manage the NAS. It did take me a little while to get the Users/Groups figured out, but after that everything worked well. (I made a group "Family" and stuck all of us into it, then assigned shares read/write access for owner/group/etc.; then I locked it down by restricting access to certain IPs... and my Tomato router (with Static DHCP) takes care of ensuring only those computers ever get those IPs. Should be reasonably secure. thumb.gif I don't have to worry about friends/neighbours accessing my stuff if I give them access to my wireless.
Anyway, when I plugged a second drive in it started RAID-1 mirroring automatically, and emailed me when it was done. Then when I stuck a third drive in (Note: powered down, in both cases), it did a bad sector check on the whole thing, then emailed me to tell me to reboot my NAS. I rebooted it, and it started expanding to a RAID-5 array. All my data was immediately accessible again, and I had 4TB of space instead of 2TB. smile.gif But apparently there's a performance impact while it works - about 10 hours later it emailed me to say it was done, and my volume was redundant again.
It's really simple to manage, once you figure out the quirks. (The WebUI is very slow, but you'll have to tinker around in it a lot while sorting out issues. Occasionally I messed up permissions on a share, so I had to go into there and reset it to get around "Access Denied" errors when trying to delete stuff. tongue.gif ) But that said, it's something that most people could figure out. If you can manage a Tomato or DD-WRT router (any router with modified firmware), then you can figure this thing out too.
3) That's what I'm doing. I think like all new devices, you need to spend a little while learning the ins and outs. But after that, you're pretty much in the clear. There's months and months between me checking its web interface - usually I only do if it emails me.
Hmm... I'm making it sound like a heavenly device - but of course, it does have its cons. The big one is it's running on early 2000's hardware - it just has no muscle for wired gigabit transfers. People on overclock.net have mentioned their FreeNAS builds getting speeds of 110MB/sec or higher. With this thing, the best you can expect is the low 20's. The WebUI is painfully slow - so much so that when I was editing shares and stuff, I had it open in 3 tabs to make it go faster. Also, the SPARC CPU is a big limitation - no Ventrilo or Mumble or other x86 programs, and it's unlikely they'll ever support them. But then again... x86 NAS's are usually $400+; the 4-bay ones can run $600+... there's tradeoffs to reach a lower price point.
There are a few modifications that you definitely have to make to fix a few quirks.
First, if you end up with Firmware 4.1.8, you'll probably want to upgrade to the beta firmware here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222
It improves performance, among other things. After installing it you have to do a "Factory Reset" by holding down the power button on the front for ~30 seconds, which clears all data on whatever drives are in it, and then upgrades its firmware.
If you're into Linux-y stuff, you may want to enable Root SSH access. That lets you get into it and use "Top" to watch CPU usage stats, or mess around with more advanced things.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203
Apt/apt-get might also be handy for installing stuff.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=4216
Oh, and you'll definitely want NoSMBDisconnect to stop Samba/CIFS from disconnecting computers. By default it disconnects devices if they don't access a share in a certain amount of time, causing a delay when going back to that share. It saves memory, but that's a problem in tiny home networks where you'd rather avoid the reconnection time. (Of course, that said... Windows 7 disconnects shares itself after a certain amount of time... unless you edit a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters - DWORD "KeepConn" (no quotes, value in seconds - I used 86400 for one day.))
If you're into downloading stuff, you'll want to check out the Newsgroup/BitTorrent addons listed on their forums:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47
That's just about everything I can think of. If you do go for it, at least you'll hit less stumbling blocks than I did. tongue.gif All this said, I have heard that the new Synology NAS's are better and more user friendly. But I don't want to spend $500+ on one of them, so I learned the ins and outs of the cheaper model. smile.gif
Me too. smile.gif
One last thing - if using WD##EARS drives in it, head parking has to be turned off. You'll have to google the WDIDLE3 tool, since mods didn't want me to post it here. This applies to every NAS or linux build - by default linux polls drives every 10-15 seconds. WD##EARS drives have an 8 second head park timeout. When idle, after 8 seconds the WD Green's head will park, and then 2-7 seconds after that it unparks... rinse and repeat. You'll burn through the rated 600k head parks at a speed of ~5760 per day. (So 4 months and you'd pass it; the drive will probably fail within 1 year)
Hitachi and Seagate drives are generally more compatible with NAS's out of the box. But you can do some legwork if you want to use WD Greens with a NAS.
Wow, what a post. I think I wrote down almost everything I know about these things... lol.

Wow, that was an extremely detailed post. Thanks! Looks like this would be something that I am looking for then. I'll see if I can find some hard drives and then purchase one of these. Thanks!
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Happy to help. smile.gif All you need is one spare SATA drive, and you can start messing around with it.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
i have been running a readynas duo for a couple years now and cant imagine not owning one anymore. the readynas duo is only a 2 bay though. in addition to using it for backups i have all of my media stored on it and shared to all of the pcs, a ps3, phones, kindles, etc in the house. since it is dlna compliant it serves media to any dlna device without a hitch. i run my drives in mirror and when i had a drive fail i was glad i did. you know what they say, data that is only saved in one place doesnt really exist.

i just got a 20% off code for newegg for any netgear nas. looks like the newer version of the readynas duo is 189 before discount. throw in one (or a couple) 1.5tb drives (for 99 bucks a piece) and you have a hell of a storage/streaming solution
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
phenom ii x6 1100t gigabyte ga990fxa ud5 gigabyte 480gtx gigabyte 480gtx 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
evga 480gtx corsair vengence ddr3 1600 ocz agility 3 sdd ocz agility 3 sdd 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
maxtor hdd asus blu-ray reader/burner xspc ex360 rad (x2)  swiftec mcp655 pump w/bitspower pump kit and v2... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
laing d5 pump w/bitspower pump kit and v2 pump top heatkiller cpu block koolance nv480gtx full vga blocks ek northbridge block 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
lamptron fc5 bitspower 150 black ice reservoir vista ultimate 64 bit asus s248h-p hdmi led 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
acer x183h acer x183h corsair k60 mechanical silverstone strider 1000 silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
corsair 500r corsair m60 func 1030 archetype creative x-fi xtreme gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
phenom ii x6 1100t gigabyte ga990fxa ud5 gigabyte 480gtx gigabyte 480gtx 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
evga 480gtx corsair vengence ddr3 1600 ocz agility 3 sdd ocz agility 3 sdd 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
maxtor hdd asus blu-ray reader/burner xspc ex360 rad (x2)  swiftec mcp655 pump w/bitspower pump kit and v2... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
laing d5 pump w/bitspower pump kit and v2 pump top heatkiller cpu block koolance nv480gtx full vga blocks ek northbridge block 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
lamptron fc5 bitspower 150 black ice reservoir vista ultimate 64 bit asus s248h-p hdmi led 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
acer x183h acer x183h corsair k60 mechanical silverstone strider 1000 silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
corsair 500r corsair m60 func 1030 archetype creative x-fi xtreme gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
How good would it be streaming video from this through wireless N single band? I'm tempted to buy this and get the money somehow. I got 5x2TB HDDs
and have about 2TB of storage so it works out great for me. I can have 2TB external back up and 4x2TB in the NAS. I just hate the idea of paying taxes.

Besides money the only thing that is holding me is that at one point I plan to set up a surveillance camera set up and record video so I was planing
to build a server instead. I don't know if the NAS would even allow me to do something like this.
SC2 Phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz  Asus P8P67 Pro Saphire 7950 3GB 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Temp slow hdd None Win7 Pro 64bit Asus 24 VE248H  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alien XFX 850 Silver 80 Plus NZXT Phantom Black Razer Darthbender 
Mouse Pad
Thermaltake LED 
  hide details  
Reply
SC2 Phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz  Asus P8P67 Pro Saphire 7950 3GB 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Temp slow hdd None Win7 Pro 64bit Asus 24 VE248H  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alien XFX 850 Silver 80 Plus NZXT Phantom Black Razer Darthbender 
Mouse Pad
Thermaltake LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

How good would it be streaming video from this through wireless N single band?
You mean 2.4ghz and 5ghz, right? Not 150/300mbit? (single or dual antenna)

With wireless you rarely get more than a third of what you're supposed to. But even 1080p streams aren't that demanding - most are between 25-50mbit, so two simultaneous ones should be possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

I'm tempted to buy this and get the money somehow.
They're fun devices. I was tempted for a while - then I got it, and I'm happy I did. It was becoming a pain managing all my backups and stuff, since I had to split everything between 2TB drives. If computer A needs 1.6TB to backup everything and computer B needs 800GB, then I have to use two 2TB drives for that. With a single large volume, there's less wasted space and less drive letters to manage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

I got 5x2TB HDDs
and have about 2TB of storage so it works out great for me. I can have 2TB external back up and 4x2TB in the NAS. I just hate the idea of paying taxes.
Note - everything on the drives gets cleared when stuck into the NAS. It reformats them and sets them up in a fancy RAID array. Whatever you do, (NAS or no NAS) I've found that you always need 1 spare drive around for juggling data. That's just a law for all power users, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

Besides money the only thing that is holding me is that at one point I plan to set up a surveillance camera set up and record video so I was planing to build a server instead. I don't know if the NAS would even allow me to do something like this.
Yes. It can't do much with the cameras that output to NTSC, but most of the managed surveillance cameras that I've seen have web interfaces. They record to MJPEG or H.264 (depending on how old they are) and are quite happy to dump video onto a share.

What kind of camera were you considering? A NAS is actually the perfect device for such use - although since this is a more multi-purpose device than a surveillance DVR, it's up to your camera to clear out old footage. The NAS just provides storage space - it doesn't care if it's a video feed, hundreds of gigabytes of movies, or a backup of all your Steam games - it just stores it.*

*(Okay, not technically true - I use mine to torrent things. I also rooted it (installed the Root SSH addon) and went in and wrote scripts to download pictures off some webcams I like. My thought was to do some neat timelapse stuff once I had a year's worth.)
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post

You mean 2.4ghz and 5ghz, right? Not 150/300mbit? (single or dual antenna)
With wireless you rarely get more than a third of what you're supposed to. But even 1080p streams aren't that demanding - most are between 25-50mbit, so two simultaneous ones should be possible.
They're fun devices. I was tempted for a while - then I got it, and I'm happy I did. It was becoming a pain managing all my backups and stuff, since I had to split everything between 2TB drives. If computer A needs 1.6TB to backup everything and computer B needs 800GB, then I have to use two 2TB drives for that. With a single large volume, there's less wasted space and less drive letters to manage.
Note - everything on the drives gets cleared when stuck into the NAS. It reformats them and sets them up in a fancy RAID array. Whatever you do, (NAS or no NAS) I've found that you always need 1 spare drive around for juggling data. That's just a law for all power users, apparently.
Yes. It can't do much with the cameras that output to NTSC, but most of the managed surveillance cameras that I've seen have web interfaces. They record to MJPEG or H.264 (depending on how old they are) and are quite happy to dump video onto a share.
What kind of camera were you considering? A NAS is actually the perfect device for such use - although since this is a more multi-purpose device than a surveillance DVR, it's up to your camera to clear out old footage. The NAS just provides storage space - it doesn't care if it's a video feed, hundreds of gigabytes of movies, or a backup of all your Steam games - it just stores it.*
*(Okay, not technically true - I use mine to torrent things. I also rooted it (installed the Root SSH addon) and went in and wrote scripts to download pictures off some webcams I like. My thought was to do some neat timelapse stuff once I had a year's worth.)


the 4x2TB are practically what I need or will use to store Data. The other 2TB will be external back up. I only got 2TB of Data so far not counting the stuff in my computer. So I can put everything in my external 2TB to make the raid 5 probably? which will give me 6TB? lol eh I seem to be forgetting this stuff already. You got me thinking here since I do like the idea of just having one big storage place which will use less energy than My wife's computer which I keep taking apart so often and then struggle with the hdds having to put them in my external enclosure when I need to take data out.

I got one camera so far which I havent really set up... here it is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OWXPXE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

And thanks a lot for the help... I wish I could give you more than 1 rep.
SC2 Phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz  Asus P8P67 Pro Saphire 7950 3GB 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Temp slow hdd None Win7 Pro 64bit Asus 24 VE248H  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alien XFX 850 Silver 80 Plus NZXT Phantom Black Razer Darthbender 
Mouse Pad
Thermaltake LED 
  hide details  
Reply
SC2 Phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz  Asus P8P67 Pro Saphire 7950 3GB 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Temp slow hdd None Win7 Pro 64bit Asus 24 VE248H  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alien XFX 850 Silver 80 Plus NZXT Phantom Black Razer Darthbender 
Mouse Pad
Thermaltake LED 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Expired Deals
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Online Deals › Expired Deals › [Newegg] ReadyNAS NV+ (4-Bay NAS) - $199.99