Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › *HELP* BROKEN USB PORT!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*HELP* BROKEN USB PORT!!!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So I wont bother explaining it but this is the problem:

700

And that middle part is now in:

700

So what can I do about this? There are four little "teeth" like things so is there anyway for me to fix it???

I really want to get this dealt with but I will be away until Friday... So please give me all the answers you can and really help me with this!!!! I have trusted OCN and have gotten great answers but now it is really important! Please help! (Not as a bribe but Rep+ will be given to whom I think deserves it)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 19
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here so I might be wrong though. Since you broke off the teeth, I'm almost certain you damaged the USB port beyond repair. To fix it, you have to remove the entire port and resolder (?) a new one in and that involves opening the laptop.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 EVGA x58 SLI LE Sapphire 6950 2GB FleX Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Intel 320 Series SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Thermalright Ultra Extreme 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW Antec Earthwatts 650W Antec Nine Hundred 
Audio
Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 EVGA x58 SLI LE Sapphire 6950 2GB FleX Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Intel 320 Series SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Thermalright Ultra Extreme 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW Antec Earthwatts 650W Antec Nine Hundred 
Audio
Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelfan View Post

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here so I might be wrong though. Since you broke off the teeth, I'm almost certain you damaged the USB port beyond repair. To fix it, you have to remove the entire port and resolder (?) a new one in and that involves opening the laptop.

Wow thanks for the quick response but damn I didn't want to have to hear that frown.gif It doesn't look like the teeth are broken but if that is what you think then maybe.... I am not sure how I could get a better idea... More comments maybe????

I might get slammed for this but is there anyone that is involved with Alienware out there? After all this is an M14x (watch some of the hate for alienware pour in now)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 19
Not sure from the way the picture is given, but it looks like the pins MAY or may NOT be in the female end (laptop end).

If it IS, I'm pretty sure one could just superglue the plastic back, worth a try.
If so, the plastic is mainly there for a plastic holder for the four pins.
It acts as a guide/maximum flex point for the USB pins.

If the pins have been completely snapped off, you'll need a new USB female port, and will have to resolder back to the board.

Depending on your laptop model, it may have a tail (wire that goes to a connector) or may have to be hard-wired (soldered directly) to the board.
Looks like an alienware to me, not sure, though.
Also looks like an HP.
Oh screw it, all of them look the same. tongue.gif

If you just want to fix the male end, some pliers can pull that thing out, if you can't just tap it out.

EDIT:
On second thought, looks like pins on laptop end are no longer there, so you'll definitely need a new female port.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post

Not sure from the way the picture is given, but it looks like the pins MAY or may NOT be in the female end (laptop end).
If it IS, I'm pretty sure one could just superglue the plastic back, worth a try.
If so, the plastic is mainly there for a plastic holder for the four pins.
It acts as a guide/maximum flex point for the USB pins.
If the pins have been completely snapped off, you'll need a new USB female port, and will have to resolder back to the board.
Depending on your laptop model, it may have a tail (wire that goes to a connector) or may have to be hard-wired (soldered directly) to the board.
Looks like an alienware to me, not sure, though.
Also looks like an HP.
Oh screw it, all of them look the same. tongue.gif
If you just want to fix the male end, some pliers can pull that thing out, if you can't just tap it out.
EDIT:
On second thought, looks like pins on laptop end are no longer there, so you'll definitely need a new female port.

Ya the pins are one the part inside my mouse so i guess that means that I would have to resolder an new female port.... Is there any guides for this because I would have no idea what I am doing mad.gif Or perhaps should I contact Alienware to see if they can help me with this...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post

Ya the pins are one the part inside my mouse so i guess that means that I would have to resolder an new female port.... Is there any guides for this because I would have no idea what I am doing mad.gif Or perhaps should I contact Alienware to see if they can help me with this...

You'll need to disaseemble the entire thing, to get to the USB port.
Once there, you'll need to know you way around the soldering iron to get all 6 pins desoldered, and pull it out- all very hard, and damn near impossible might I add, with just an iron.
At work, we use a hot air machine, which will heat all of the area up, and allow you to pluck the thing off the board.

Desoldering irons will work wonders, too.

If you've got no idea, I suggest coughing up the money for a tech to fix it, either a local shop or Dell themselves.
Unless, the USB is on its on board, connected to the motherboard, in which case would be a very simple fix.
post #7 of 19
If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly suggest contacting Alienware. Do you need that USB port because if you have another, you can always buy a USB splitter to remedy your problem.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 EVGA x58 SLI LE Sapphire 6950 2GB FleX Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Intel 320 Series SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Thermalright Ultra Extreme 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW Antec Earthwatts 650W Antec Nine Hundred 
Audio
Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 EVGA x58 SLI LE Sapphire 6950 2GB FleX Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Intel 320 Series SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Thermalright Ultra Extreme 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW Antec Earthwatts 650W Antec Nine Hundred 
Audio
Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Here's what the USB port on my M14x looks like if that helps any.

cputu.jpg
Project Taro
(15 items)
 
HAFX ReVamped
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k Asus Z97I-Plus EVGA GTX 980 SC Kingston Hyperx Fury 2x4GB 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 512GB Samsung Spinpoint M6T 2TB 2.5" Custom Loop  Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i Silverstone SX600-G Fractal Design Node 304 
MouseAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 7000 Audio Technica A900X Fiio E17 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4Ghz w/ 1.3v HT on Asus P6X58D-E 2x Zotac GTX 470 @ 850Mhz Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 3 120GB 2x WD Black 640 GB (RAID0) Seagate Barracuda 3TB See Sig 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2443BW-HAS 1920x1200 Razer Blackwidow Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master HAF X Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Asus Xonar DX Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Taro
(15 items)
 
HAFX ReVamped
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k Asus Z97I-Plus EVGA GTX 980 SC Kingston Hyperx Fury 2x4GB 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 512GB Samsung Spinpoint M6T 2TB 2.5" Custom Loop  Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i Silverstone SX600-G Fractal Design Node 304 
MouseAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 7000 Audio Technica A900X Fiio E17 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4Ghz w/ 1.3v HT on Asus P6X58D-E 2x Zotac GTX 470 @ 850Mhz Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 3 120GB 2x WD Black 640 GB (RAID0) Seagate Barracuda 3TB See Sig 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2443BW-HAS 1920x1200 Razer Blackwidow Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master HAF X Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Asus Xonar DX Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelfan View Post

If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly suggest contacting Alienware. Do you need that USB port because if you have another, you can always buy a USB splitter to remedy your problem.

Yep, or a larger port, you could split one port into as many as 8, but they usually come hubs of four.

Also, after looking at a few bare M14X boards (primarily, this one: http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-1800-alienware-m14x-gaming-notebook/6319699?seq=78&tag=siu-container;thumbnail-view-selector), looks like the port is soldered onto the PCB itself, making it VERY difficult to replace itself.

And if improperly done, could ruin your board.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winrahr View Post

Here's what the USB port on my M14x looks like if that helps any.
cputu.jpg

Perfect, this is what I was looking for.

So as I stated above, it's soldered directly on the PCB, making it near impossible to replace.

Sum it up as a lesson learned, and use a USB hub from now on.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post

You'll need to disaseemble the entire thing, to get to the USB port.
Once there, you'll need to know you way around the soldering iron to get all 6 pins desoldered, and pull it out- all very hard, and damn near impossible might I add, with just an iron.
At work, we use a hot air machine, which will heat all of the area up, and allow you to pluck the thing off the board.
Desoldering irons will work wonders, too.
If you've got no idea, I suggest coughing up the money for a tech to fix it, either a local shop or Dell themselves.
Unless, the USB is on its on board, connected to the motherboard, in which case would be a very simple fix.

I have no clue when it comes to a soldering iron so that wont help... And maybe I will have to go to a local shop or to dell thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelfan View Post

If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly suggest contacting Alienware. Do you need that USB port because if you have another, you can always buy a USB splitter to remedy your problem.

I most likely will contact Alienware and I don't really need the USB port as I still have two more but it is the fact that it isn't there -.- I am not OK with that. So I wont use the USB splitter but thanks for the idea...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › *HELP* BROKEN USB PORT!!!