Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [DT] New Qualcomm CPU's Real World Performance is "Insane"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[DT] New Qualcomm CPU's Real World Performance is "Insane" - Page 6

post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

The A5 SoC wins in GLB, but gets destroyed in RightWare Basemark graphics benchmark:
Quote:
  • Apple iPhone 4S (960 x 640) 16.623 fps 30.178 fps
  • Qualcomm MDP MSM8960 (1024 x 600) 40.576 fps 59.586 fps
Source
Also Adreno 225 is faster here with Vsync off...
550
These are benchmarks and don't say anything about real world performance

Thats not destroying the 4Gs.... thats being above it by some numbers, and not by more than twice...

And talking about real world performance, the easy winner is the iPhone I mean by faaaar. Videos proove it wink.gif. Do not quote me hardware specs of each device, cause what matters for the hardware to be completely used is the software which is the OS.
Edited by Saizer - 2/23/12 at 3:34pm
My Console Killer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K EVGA P67 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 G-Skill Ripjaws+ 4GB + Trubulence II Fan 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
G. Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits Samsung 17' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Microsoft Keyboard OCZ 750W Modular Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Wireless Microsoft Mouse 
Audio
Creative SB Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
My Console Killer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K EVGA P67 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 G-Skill Ripjaws+ 4GB + Trubulence II Fan 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
G. Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits Samsung 17' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Microsoft Keyboard OCZ 750W Modular Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Wireless Microsoft Mouse 
Audio
Creative SB Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

The A5 SoC wins in GLB, but gets destroyed in RightWare Basemark graphics benchmark:
Quote:
  • Apple iPhone 4S (960 x 640) 16.623 fps 30.178 fps
  • Qualcomm MDP MSM8960 (1024 x 600) 40.576 fps 59.586 fps
Source
Also Adreno 225 is faster here with Vsync off...
550
These are benchmarks and don't say anything about real world performance
I'm not quite sure why the 4S only scores 16 and 30 FPS respectively in that test, but the Adreno 225 isn't faster than the SGX543MP2 at all -- the test you showed with it winning without v-sync, is because v-sync is on in the iPhone 4S and it can't exceed 60 FPS. If you look at the results off screen at 720p, you'll see the 4S scoring 20-25% higher than the Andreo 225.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

I'm not quite sure why the 4S only scores 16 and 30 FPS respectively in that test, but the Adreno 225 isn't faster than the SGX543MP2 at all -- the test you showed with it winning without v-sync, is because v-sync is on in the iPhone 4S and it can't exceed 60 FPS. If you look at the results off screen at 720p, you'll see the 4S scoring 20-25% higher than the Andreo 225.

If you look at the Rightware benchmarks, the Adreno is actually 100-200% faster than the SGX, so no conclusions can be drawn about either based on these synthetic benchmarks. Also, I didn't say it was faster, I said it was faster in that test. I also stated that they both had similar throughputs when you measure execution resources and GFLOPs. SGX isn't faster than Adreno either, what it comes down to is API.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saizer View Post

Thats not destroying the 4Gs.... thats being above it by some numbers, and not by more than twice...
And talking about real world performance, the easy winner is the iPhone I mean by faaaar. Videos proove it wink.gif. Do not quote me hardware specs of each device, cause what matters for the hardware to be completely used is the software which is the OS.

Did you look at the Rightware benchmark... The iPhone 4S was at a lower resolution and it still lost by a significant margin. The problem with measuring RR performance is there is no reliable way to measure it lol... And no, Videos don't prove anything unless you can run the same games in the exact same conditions. If not, then its just subjective.
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

If you look at the Rightware benchmarks, the Adreno is actually 100-200% faster than the SGX, so no conclusions can be drawn about either based on these synthetic benchmarks. Also, I didn't say it was faster, I said it was faster in that test. I also stated that they both had similar throughputs when you measure execution resources and GFLOPs. SGX isn't faster than Adreno either, what it comes down to is API.
There's something amuck with those Rightware tests though, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus scores 15 FPS in the Taiji test with a SGX540, and despite an SGX543 being faster than a SGX540, there's two of them in the 4S and it only scores 16 FPS.

Yeah but it wasn't actually faster in that test -- it's just v-sync was hiding the real results of the 4S.
Edited by steelbom - 2/23/12 at 7:49pm
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 80
Guys just wait for q2 of this year. we will get adreno 300 series gpu with quad krait which is supposed to be a nano meter jump. and it should be equivalent to console.
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1 View Post

Battery life? Custom ROMs.
Beauty of Android. thumb.gif

Tapatalk'd from a 4S.

Plenty of battery apps on iOS, for ex: http://bjango.com/iphone/istat/

There's custom "roms" for iOS.. You can even get the 2007 2G model to have iOS 5 features: http://www.whited00r.com/features/


Oh and why are people comparing an unreleased product versus the outdated A5 which still beats it in GPU perf? The A5S will be its competition. And comparing Vsync on 4S to Vsync off 8960???
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 2/23/12 at 10:49pm
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

There's something amuck with those Rightware tests though, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus scores 15 FPS in the Taiji test with a SGX540, and despite an SGX543 being faster than a SGX540, there's two of them in the 4S and it only scores 16 FPS.
Yeah but it wasn't actually faster in that test -- it's just v-sync was hiding the real results of the 4S.

Perhaps, but the same can be said about the other tests that show the SGX a head of Adreno by 25% despite having similar theoretical performance. This suggests that it comes down to API/drivers, which Apple is able to more refine from Android manufacturers, not SGX having some esoteric hardware.
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

Perhaps, but the same can be said about the other tests that show the SGX a head of Adreno by 25% despite having similar theoretical performance. This suggests that it comes down to API/drivers, which Apple is able to more refine from Android manufacturers, not SGX having some esoteric hardware.
I don't think so. There's nothing to suggest the Adreno 225 isn't performing as it should, both it and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 have the same GFLOPs at the same clock speed, but we don't know what clock speed exactly they've got it running. The higher results for the 4S could be as simple as the 225 having a lower clock speed.

However in the Taiji and Hovercraft tests for the iPhone 4S, you see the Samsung Galaxy Nexus scoring practically the same as the 4S but with a higher resolution and a GPU half as powerful. That shows pretty clearly that something is amuck.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 80
Haha you can see how bad HTC ruined the Rezound with sense. Its got a MSM8660 as well.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

I don't think so. There's nothing to suggest the Adreno 225 isn't performing as it should, both it and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 have the same GFLOPs at the same clock speed, but we don't know what clock speed exactly they've got it running. The higher results for the 4S could be as simple as the 225 having a lower clock speed.
However in the Taiji and Hovercraft tests for the iPhone 4S, you see the Samsung Galaxy Nexus scoring practically the same as the 4S but with a higher resolution and a GPU half as powerful. That shows pretty clearly that something is amuck.

Thats because its limited by memory bandwidth. Galaxy Nexus comes stock @ 304Mhz and can OC theoretically to 512Mhz. It does not give any gain because @ 720p its bandwidth limited.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [DT] New Qualcomm CPU's Real World Performance is "Insane"