Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › (Updated -Part II)= = Offset Mode Overclocking Starter Guide and Thread= =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(Updated -Part II)= = Offset Mode Overclocking Starter Guide and Thread= = - Page 26

post #251 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffie82 View Post

Ok thanks, maybe I'll just let go of the 1,5% gain in FPS when the difference is really significant biggrin.gif

I just tested with EIST and C1 enabled for both instances:

C3/C6 disabled: 103W
C3/C6 enabled: 95W

That's only an 8W difference. I was expecting MORE. I don't get it.
post #252 of 369
Even if it isn't going into C3 (assuming it isn't - I'm guessing you verified it wasn't?) it will still go to C1E, which is very low power draw also. Did you try any benchmark comparisons between C3/C6 on and off? Wondering if the additional latency from being in C6 would show up in anything.

Here's a short presentation from Intel on the power states - kind of high-level, but worth looking at.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/presentation/power-mgmt-embedded-appl-presentation.pdf
post #253 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Even if it isn't going into C3 (assuming it isn't - I'm guessing you verified it wasn't?) it will still go to C1E, which is very low power draw also. Did you try any benchmark comparisons between C3/C6 on and off? Wondering if the additional latency from being in C6 would show up in anything.

Here's a short presentation from Intel on the power states - kind of high-level, but worth looking at.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/presentation/power-mgmt-embedded-appl-presentation.pdf

Yes, I did make sure it wasn't going into C3/C6. Well, the idle voltage in C1E is the idle voltage shown in CPUZ. At C6, it should be close to 0V. The difference in voltage is really big and that should translate to a big power consumption difference as well.

Thanks for the link, will give that a look.
post #254 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Yes, I did make sure it wasn't going into C3/C6. Well, the idle voltage in C1E is the idle voltage shown in CPUZ. At C6, it should be close to 0V. The difference in voltage is really big and that should translate to a big power consumption difference as well.

Thanks for the link, will give that a look.

Yes the voltage would be the same, but without current flow the voltage doesn't matter because it won't be drawing any power. The plug in the wall is at 120V, but unless I plug something in and turn it on there is no power being drawn. In C1E the core clock is off, the only power draw should be keeping the cache refreshed and monitoring incoming requests.

I'm also not sure the idle voltage reported in CPU-Z is actually the voltage used when the chip is in C1E (the E part being that the voltage is lower when the chip is in the C1 state). Just like it doesn't show the voltage going to 0 when in C6 it may not be showing the actual voltage in C1E. What you need to do is prevent the chip from going into any sleep state (make it stay in C0 all the time) and compare the power draw there. My guess is that is where you'll see the big jump, between C0 and C1E, not so much from C1E to C3/C6.
Edited by Forceman - 2/21/13 at 4:29pm
post #255 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Yes the voltage would be the same, but without current flow the voltage doesn't matter because it won't be drawing any power. The plug in the wall is at 120V, but unless I plug something in and turn it on there is no power being drawn. In C1E the core clock is off, the only power draw should be keeping the cache refreshed and monitoring incoming requests.

I'm also not sure the idle voltage reported in CPU-Z is actually the voltage used when the chip is in C1E (the E part being that the voltage is lower when the chip is in the C1 state). Just like it doesn't show the voltage going to 0 when in C6 it may not be showing the actual voltage in C1E. What you need to do is prevent the chip from going into any sleep state (make it stay in C0 all the time) and compare the power draw there. My guess is that is where you'll see the big jump, between C0 and C1E, not so much from C1E to C3/C6.

Yup, I get that. I' am Electronics Engineer thumb.gif

Hmm, interesting. If I have time, I might play with testing different combinations.
post #256 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

I just tested with EIST and C1 enabled for both instances:

C3/C6 disabled: 103W
C3/C6 enabled: 95W

That's only an 8W difference. I was expecting MORE. I don't get it.

Thanks for testing that +rep

But for me those 8W is not worth it to enable C3/C6 again.
My Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz, 1.33v Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition @ 1130 / 1550, 1.150v 8GB Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 @ DDR3-1600, 9-9-9... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 830 Series Desktop Upgrade Kit Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW AD-7280S Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 2x Front intake fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
1x Large intake side fan 1x Back exhaust fan Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Media Keyboard 600 Corsair Enthusiast TX850M Corsair Carbide 500R Black Logitech G5 Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Realtek High Definition Audio AMD High Definition Audio Device 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz, 1.33v Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition @ 1130 / 1550, 1.150v 8GB Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 @ DDR3-1600, 9-9-9... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 830 Series Desktop Upgrade Kit Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW AD-7280S Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 2x Front intake fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
1x Large intake side fan 1x Back exhaust fan Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Media Keyboard 600 Corsair Enthusiast TX850M Corsair Carbide 500R Black Logitech G5 Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Realtek High Definition Audio AMD High Definition Audio Device 
  hide details  
Reply
post #257 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffie82 View Post

Thanks for testing that +rep

But for me those 8W is not worth it to enable C3/C6 again.

Glad to be of help thumb.gif

Yeah I guess so.
post #258 of 369
Hi guys,

After reading the last 20 pages of this thread I am still a little unsure of what I should be doing.

Relatively new to OC'ing, using a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H board.

If I want to maximize the amount of time my CPU is idling and at a lower power state, what do I want to have my settings set to?

I am doing a 4.5GHz OC but am still clueless as to whether I should do offset or fixed voltage.

My goal is to maximize power savings while still getting performance when I need it.

My BIOS does have options to turn on/off C1E, C3/C6, and EIST.

Which one should I turn on and which ones should I turn off and should I do fixed or offset?

Thank you so much.
2013 Rig
(13 items)
 
2012 Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8GHz @ 1.34v ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial C300 128GB + 3x 1TB Spinpoint F3 RAID0 2x ASUS 24x DVD+-RW/DL Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Viewsonic 24" LED SeaSonic X650 Gold Cooler Master HAF X Onboard HD 
  hide details  
Reply
2013 Rig
(13 items)
 
2012 Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8GHz @ 1.34v ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial C300 128GB + 3x 1TB Spinpoint F3 RAID0 2x ASUS 24x DVD+-RW/DL Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Viewsonic 24" LED SeaSonic X650 Gold Cooler Master HAF X Onboard HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #259 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMan320 View Post

Hi guys,

After reading the last 20 pages of this thread I am still a little unsure of what I should be doing.

Relatively new to OC'ing, using a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H board.

If I want to maximize the amount of time my CPU is idling and at a lower power state, what do I want to have my settings set to?

I am doing a 4.5GHz OC but am still clueless as to whether I should do offset or fixed voltage.

My goal is to maximize power savings while still getting performance when I need it.

My BIOS does have options to turn on/off C1E, C3/C6, and EIST.

Which one should I turn on and which ones should I turn off and should I do fixed or offset?

Thank you so much.

for offset, best thing to do is disable C3/C6, and leave C1E and EIST enabled
if you use fixed vcore, you can leave C3/C6 enabled..

the difference in electric savings isnt that big, talking a few pennies a month here,
with fixed vcore and everything enabled, the cores wil go to their sleepstates, but the vcore will stay the same all the time..

with offset, you can stil use most of the power savings features, maybe even have C3/C6 enabled, you have to try yourselfs
but the vcore will drop also with idle or light loads, thats what i prefer..

i dont like running 4.8ghz with 1.420V vcore on my cpu all the time if i use fixed vcore see smile.gif
Edited by VonDutch - 2/24/13 at 1:54pm
BamBam
(17 items)
 
Pebbles
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd 8350 my kids rig :) Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 Gigabyte 7970 windforce Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
500gb OZC vertex 4  Scythe Mugen 3 rev b windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer 23 inch logitech G510 XFX ProSeries 750W XXX Edition Cooler Master CM 690 II 
MouseAudio
dell  Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
BamBam
(17 items)
 
Pebbles
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd 8350 my kids rig :) Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 Gigabyte 7970 windforce Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
500gb OZC vertex 4  Scythe Mugen 3 rev b windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer 23 inch logitech G510 XFX ProSeries 750W XXX Edition Cooler Master CM 690 II 
MouseAudio
dell  Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
post #260 of 369
interesting thread.

I will post my findings with 3770K on Maximus V Extreme (BIOS 1604 - current latest). I can run it at 4.9GHz for weeks 24/7 without a hitch on offsets, but 5.0GHz fails randomly at light load. cannot figure it out, maybe this thread will give me some ideas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › (Updated -Part II)= = Offset Mode Overclocking Starter Guide and Thread= =