Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Display driver has stopped working....7970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Display driver has stopped working....7970

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Posted in the drivers section but I figure it will get more views here. I installed my 7970 today and updated my driver. Right away I did some benching and all went well. Ran through vantage and 3dmark 11 plus some BF3...no issues. Well I went to run Heaven and it hung up on part of the ship and gave BSOD 116 or something like that. There is no overclock btw. So I restart and Im noticing that its taking forever for my computer to load up. Once windows finally boots, like 10 seconds later, screen freezes, goes black, comes back on and says display driver stopped working but has recovered. Ok no biggie there....but then 5 seconds later, same thing. Now it just does it over and over again. Ive uninstalled and re-installed the driver, same thing. Updated to 12.3 preview, same thing but not as frequent. Im sitting here now in safe mode as its the only way I can do anything.

Someone said to install the drivers off the disc, so i did but it still happens. Ive just re-installed windows and put 12.2 back on. Everything went good for a while just web browsing. No gaming, but it did freeze up a couple of times. Its not a loop like it was before but it will still do it 3 or 4 times then it goes back to normal......Is this for sure a driver issue or could a defective card cause this???
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racersnare21 View Post

Posted in the drivers section but I figure it will get more views here. I installed my 7970 today and updated my driver. Right away I did some benching and all went well. Ran through vantage and 3dmark 11 plus some BF3...no issues. Well I went to run Heaven and it hung up on part of the ship and gave BSOD 116 or something like that. There is no overclock btw. So I restart and Im noticing that its taking forever for my computer to load up. Once windows finally boots, like 10 seconds later, screen freezes, goes black, comes back on and says display driver stopped working but has recovered. Ok no biggie there....but then 5 seconds later, same thing. Now it just does it over and over again. Ive uninstalled and re-installed the driver, same thing. Updated to 12.3 preview, same thing but not as frequent. Im sitting here now in safe mode as its the only way I can do anything.
Someone said to install the drivers off the disc, so i did but it still happens. Ive just re-installed windows and put 12.2 back on. Everything went good for a while just web browsing. No gaming, but it did freeze up a couple of times. Its not a loop like it was before but it will still do it 3 or 4 times then it goes back to normal......Is this for sure a driver issue or could a defective card cause this???

BSOD 116 should be related to your CPU's overclock, 3x and 7x seem to be related to the video card sections.

Is your CPU Overclock stable?

A corrupt display driver can cause this and it can keep being corrupted by a bad CPU overclock.

The booting up time should not have anything do with your GPU, however there can be an issue with your hard disk drive as well.

Try using the following commands in CMD Prompt:
Code:
sfc /scannow


This will ask you to reboot before doing it
Code:
chkdsk /r


Can you explain this more:
Quote:
Ive just re-installed windows and put 12.2 back on. Everything went good for a while just web browsing. No gaming, but it did freeze up a couple of times. Its not a loop like it was before but it will still do it 3 or 4 times then it goes back to normal......Is this for sure a driver issue or could a defective card cause this???

I have noticed in the past that once a Catalyst display driver does crash the first time, it can be extremely reliable here on after till the entire machine is just rebooted.
Edited by RagingCain - 2/24/12 at 2:44pm
post #3 of 30
Try the following:
Quote:
Follow thorough to get rid of driver/registry/profile related issues;

Uninstall all tweaking applications such as Afterburner, Trixx etc if you have it in the system. Select "no" when prompted to keep settings.

Uninstall Catalyst. Select "Express Uninstall". Uninstall CAP too (if crossfire).

Delete these folders;

C:\user\Program files or (x86)\ ATI or AMD.

C:\user\ProgramData\ATI or AMD (need to show hidden files).

Turn off UAC. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > change User Account Control Settings > Set to minimum > restart PC.

Clean it with; Atiman Uninstaller v.6.3.1

Download and install Official WHQL Catalyst 12.1 + CAP (if crossfire). http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx
Desktop
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Pro Asus Radeon HD 5850 Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer AL2216Wbd 22" 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer V223Wbd 22" Acer V223Wbd 22" Das Ultimate Blank Corsair CMPSU-750TX v2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56 Razer Lachesis X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Professional Logitech z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W ... GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI S... MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB ... G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB ...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Cross...  Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Alu... 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Pro Asus Radeon HD 5850 Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer AL2216Wbd 22" 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer V223Wbd 22" Acer V223Wbd 22" Das Ultimate Blank Corsair CMPSU-750TX v2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56 Razer Lachesis X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Professional Logitech z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W ... GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI S... MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB ... G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB ...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Cross...  Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Alu... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
I dont have my cpu overclocked at all right now and didnt when the error first happened. What I mean by the second part is that before I re-installed windows the error was like a loop, I couldnt do anything.....I re-installed windows and put the 12.2 driver back on. Everything was going fine I thought. I was just web browsing and had not attempted any gaming or benching. Like I said I thought the issue was fixed but my screen just randomly froze again, went black, then came but up with the driver has stopped thing. It proceeded to do that like 2 more times in a row then things went back to normal, not freezing anymore for now. Still have yet to try any gaming.
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racersnare21 View Post

I dont have my cpu overclocked at all right now and didnt when the error first happened. What I mean by the second part is that before I re-installed windows the error was like a loop, I couldnt do anything.....I re-installed windows and put the 12.2 driver back on. Everything was going fine I thought. I was just web browsing and had not attempted any gaming or benching. Like I said I thought the issue was fixed but my screen just randomly froze again, went black, then came but up with the driver has stopped thing. It proceeded to do that like 2 more times in a row then things went back to normal, not freezing anymore for now. Still have yet to try any gaming.

I am sorry, I thought you had an overclock because of your signature rig has one. I think you should just use the 12.1 drivers like E-peen suggests. Also you can try E-peens method of uninstall / reinstalling, although you can start with ATIMAN Uninstaller, it does all those presteps for you now.

Did you re-install Windows over Windows or reformat the whole thing?
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Did you re-install Windows over Windows? Also you can try E-peens method of uninstall / reinstalling, although you can start with ATIMAN Uninstaller, it does all those presteps for you now.

It was a clean install.....Shouldnt have to follow E-peens steps as the clean install did that for me but the problem still exists. The only thing Ive done since re-installing was installed windows updates, disabled UAC and installed graphics drivers. Guess ill go back and try 12.1.....but will they work with 7900 series cards?
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racersnare21 View Post

It was a clean install.....Shouldnt have to follow E-peens steps as the clean install did that for me but the problem still exists. The only thing Ive done since re-installing was installed windows updates, disabled UAC and installed graphics drivers. Guess ill go back and try 12.1.....but will they work with 7900 series cards?

They should be the drivers released with the card, you might want to just install them if you have on disc.

A few 7970 users are having issues with the newer drivers. One version of 12.2 doesn't even support the 7970. The 12.2 Pre-Certified drivers do though, however, they were buggy for me.
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

They should be the drivers released with the card, you might want to just install them if you have on disc.
A few 7970 users are having issues with the newer drivers. One version of 12.2 doesn't even support the 7970. The 12.2 Pre-Certified drivers do though, however, they were buggy for me.

I installed the 12.2 pre-certified drivers, thats what I was running when the issues started. Guess ill go back and try 12.1 again and then go from there.
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Installed that program E-peen mentioned then went back to 12.1 ....Same issue. Windows loads then display driver stops working. Once it stopped this time I figured I would download furmark and see if it would run any 3d applications. I ran it for like 5 min without any errors before I shut it off, then I figured I would try to play bf3, driver stops working every time. This is so frustrating. I dont even have a card to go back to now because I just sold it. I dont know if I should RMA the card it if its for sure the drivers.
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Racersnare21
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 4.0GHz Gigabyte X58a-UD3R EVGA 660ti SC 6GB G.Skill F3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage 128GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Dell 23" 
PowerCase
Cooler Master GX 750W HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 30
Does your board support onboard video? If so, give that a shot.
Desktop
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Pro Asus Radeon HD 5850 Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer AL2216Wbd 22" 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer V223Wbd 22" Acer V223Wbd 22" Das Ultimate Blank Corsair CMPSU-750TX v2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56 Razer Lachesis X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Professional Logitech z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W ... GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI S... MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB ... G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB ...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Cross...  Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Alu... 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Pro Asus Radeon HD 5850 Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer AL2216Wbd 22" 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer V223Wbd 22" Acer V223Wbd 22" Das Ultimate Blank Corsair CMPSU-750TX v2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56 Razer Lachesis X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Professional Logitech z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W ... GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI S... MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB ... G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB ...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Cross...  Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Alu... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Display driver has stopped working....7970