Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Can you play BF3 on Ubuntu?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you play BF3 on Ubuntu? - Page 6

post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

That is quite a biased and narrow view of the world.
Ubuntu is not superior to Windows Server 2008 R2 in the server world. See, you point has been disproved.
Ubuntu lacks two critical features for it to be a superior OS... support and applications. If it is technically superior, it does not make it a better OS without these two features for the mainstream.
Different OSes for different purposes. (I work with WIndows, AIX, Solaris, RHEL so I'm not that biased.)

You say you are unbiased, but you express a bias. Simply stating that Ubuntu is not superior to Windows Server 2008 R2 as a server does not make it fact or illegitimize his statement. You have both expressed opinions and backed them up with no facts at all.

Now for my personal opinion:

I prefer nix based systems. I hate the newer version of Ubuntu for their new GUI (Unity). I think Unity is the biggest pile of crap since the monitor was first attached to a computer. Nix systems lack support for a lot of mainstream software simply because the majority of nix systems are servers and they make up a very small section of the desktop PC market.

If everyone were to replace windows with some flavor of linux on all their computers right now and all the Windows servers shifted to a linux distro then the tables would turn and linux would have the mainstream software support that windows enjoys now. That's not gonna happen, but an avid linux user can dream, right?

I have a healthy mix of OSes which I work with on a day-to-day basis and I won't say one is better than the other because each has good and bad things about it. Specifically comparing Windows and Linux in general you find that those on either side of the argument are right about their respective choice for OS. Each side wants to argue the strengths of their OS as the reason it is stronger than the other, but those strengths are the weakness of the other. Where linux flexes its muscles, windows cringes in the corner and vice versa. It is an argument that can't be truly decided because people will invariably have their own opinions and choose the OS for their system that suits their needs, preferences and budget.

Just so you know: in my kitchen I have a Win8 Pro machine, in the living room a Kubuntu 10.10, this machine in the bedroom is a Win7 Home Premium and the laptop sitting beside my bed is an Ubuntu 12.10. I rent a dedicated server to host various services which is Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS minimal.
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

That is quite a biased and narrow view of the world.
Ubuntu is not superior to Windows Server 2008 R2 in the server world. See, you point has been disproved.
Ubuntu lacks two critical features for it to be a superior OS... support and applications. If it is technically superior, it does not make it a better OS without these two features for the mainstream.
Different OSes for different purposes. (I work with WIndows, AIX, Solaris, RHEL so I'm not that biased.)

....except that most server side software is written with Linux in mind before Windows: webservers (Apache, Tomcat, lighttpd, etc), databases (Oracle, MySQL, Postgre, etc), MTAs (do any even support Windows aside Exchange?), networking tools (IRCd, ZNC, SSH servers, DNS daemons, and so on).

The only real exceptions are PHP which targets both simultaneously (and which is also a complete kludge of a language built by amateurs who haven't the slightest idea how to manage large projects or develop higher level languages) and Microsoft's own in-house software (active directory et al).

Besides, the whole "there's more software on Windows than Linux" is a dumb argument because it depends massively on the specific field in IT you work. If you're a producer, then you'd be right. If you're a penetration tester then the reverse is true. There's no hard and fast rule.
post #53 of 65
How did we manage to bring back a nearly year old thread just to argue?
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpeaceofficer View Post

You say you are unbiased, but you express a bias. Simply stating that Ubuntu is not superior to Windows Server 2008 R2 as a server does not make it fact or illegitimize his statement. You have both expressed opinions and backed them up with no facts at all.
Now for my personal opinion:
I prefer nix based systems. I hate the newer version of Ubuntu for their new GUI (Unity). I think Unity is the biggest pile of crap since the monitor was first attached to a computer. Nix systems lack support for a lot of mainstream software simply because the majority of nix systems are servers and they make up a very small section of the desktop PC market.
If everyone were to replace windows with some flavor of linux on all their computers right now and all the Windows servers shifted to a linux distro then the tables would turn and linux would have the mainstream software support that windows enjoys now. That's not gonna happen, but an avid linux user can dream, right?
I have a healthy mix of OSes which I work with on a day-to-day basis and I won't say one is better than the other because each has good and bad things about it. Specifically comparing Windows and Linux in general you find that those on either side of the argument are right about their respective choice for OS. Each side wants to argue the strengths of their OS as the reason it is stronger than the other, but those strengths are the weakness of the other. Where linux flexes its muscles, windows cringes in the corner and vice versa. It is an argument that can't be truly decided because people will invariably have their own opinions and choose the OS for their system that suits their needs, preferences and budget.
Just so you know: in my kitchen I have a Win8 Pro machine, in the living room a Kubuntu 10.10, this machine in the bedroom is a Win7 Home Premium and the laptop sitting beside my bed is an Ubuntu 12.10. I rent a dedicated server to host various services which is Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

....except that most server side software is written with Linux in mind before Windows: webservers (Apache, Tomcat, lighttpd, etc), databases (Oracle, MySQL, Postgre, etc), MTAs (do any even support Windows aside Exchange?), networking tools (IRCd, ZNC, SSH servers, DNS daemons, and so on).
The only real exceptions are PHP which targets both simultaneously (and which is also a complete kludge of a language built by amateurs who haven't the slightest idea how to manage large projects or develop higher level languages) and Microsoft's own in-house software (active directory et al).
Besides, the whole "there's more software on Windows than Linux" is a dumb argument because it depends massively on the specific field in IT you work. If you're a producer, then you'd be right. If you're a penetration tester then the reverse is true. There's no hard and fast rule.

You guys didn't read the context. rolleyes.gif

"Ubuntu is just a far superior OS" is a generic statement. I was making a point to disprove it by providing an exception and therefore negating the statement.

Furthermore, we were strickly discussing desktop usage where general application support IS important. Again, I work on servers running RHEL, AIX, Solaris, and Windows Server..... enterprise applications support the hardware they need to.

In addition.... read my last statement: Different OSes for different purposes.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

You guys didn't read the context. rolleyes.gif
"Ubuntu is just a far superior OS" is a generic statement. I was making a point to disprove it by providing an exception and therefore negating the statement.
Furthermore, we were strickly discussing desktop usage where general application support IS important.
Your exception was comparing against Windows Server so the desktop argument is moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Again, I work on servers running RHEL, AIX, Solaris, and Windows Server..... enterprise applications support the hardware they need to.
I manage SLES, Debian, Solaris and Windows Servers professionally and Arch and FreeBSD servers personally; however that doesn't mean I'm not biased tongue.gif

That all said, I do get your point about playing devils advocate against the comment "Ubuntu is just a far superior OS". I'm not a fan of it personally but each to their own smile.gif
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Your exception was comparing against Windows Server so the desktop argument is moot.
I manage SLES, Debian, Solaris and Windows Servers professionally and Arch and FreeBSD servers personally; however that doesn't mean I'm not biased tongue.gif
That all said, I do get your point about playing devils advocate against the comment "Ubuntu is just a far superior OS". I'm not a fan of it personally but each to their own smile.gif
No, it's not.... he was making a generalization about Ubuntu. If one provides an exception to a declaration, then that declaration is proven invalid.

The next point was back in the desktop space where Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is lacking to become mainstream. They lack the ecosystem and support..... HOWEVER, in the mobile space.... Linux does have an ecosystem and support through Android and it's evangelist Google.

True about the bias.... How about this..... I'm rational and lazy... so biases are illogical. Use whatever works easiest for me. tongue.gif
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

That is quite a biased and narrow view of the world.
Ubuntu is not superior to Windows Server 2008 R2 in the server world. See, you point has been disproved.
Ubuntu lacks two critical features for it to be a superior OS... support and applications. If it is technically superior, it does not make it a better OS without these two features for the mainstream.
Different OSes for different purposes. (I work with WIndows, AIX, Solaris, RHEL so I'm not that biased.)

Huh? Are you suggesting Windows Server 2008 is a better OS for servers than Ubuntu? Sorry, but that is so far from the truth rolleyes.gif

Windows OS have a tiny share of the server market, especially in regards to web based services. Linux (and I'd argue Ubuntu in particular) is just a vastly superior OS, both in terms of desktop and in server. All the latest and greatest technologies are incorporated into linux first for a reason. Also, I am glad this thread was bumped as it proves all the Windows gaming fan boys on here wrong...

Gaming on linux is BETTER than gaming on Windows: http://www.geekosystem.com/valve-games-run-faster-linux/
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 3210M Intel HD 4000 + ASUS GTX 750 Ti (eGPU) 8GB GSkill DDR3 128GB Crucial M4 SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 + OS X 10.8 + Ubuntu 12.04 22" Samsung LED Logitech G15 v2 Gigabyte GM-8000 
Audio
Logitech Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 3210M Intel HD 4000 + ASUS GTX 750 Ti (eGPU) 8GB GSkill DDR3 128GB Crucial M4 SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 + OS X 10.8 + Ubuntu 12.04 22" Samsung LED Logitech G15 v2 Gigabyte GM-8000 
Audio
Logitech Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTroop View Post

Huh? Are you suggesting Windows Server 2008 is a better OS for servers than Ubuntu? Sorry, but that is so far from the truth rolleyes.gif
That depends entirely on what you are using the server for. If it needs to run IIS, Ubuntu will be of no use to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTroop View Post

Gaming on linux is BETTER than gaming on Windows: http://www.geekosystem.com/valve-games-run-faster-linux/

In a perfect world Valve would make all games (and then become an evil monopoly and destroy the perfect world), but alas they make very few.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

Simple as it reads, can you play Bf3 on ubuntu normally? I am planning on dual booting windows with ubuntu and prob one of main reason I wont go ahead with it is if i cant play BF3 on it. Can this be done? And also how about firefox/steam on ubuntu?
thanks

Seems kind of strange. If you're dual booting, you might as well just play BF3 on your windows OS. Right now I use Linux Mint as my primary OS, using windows for gaming and entertainment purposes.
pigrig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k P67A-UD4-B3 6950  Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WDC Black 1TB Crucial 128MB Sony Optiarc Windows 7 & Linux Mint 14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH236H Das Ultimate S Silent Seasonic X-760 HAF 912 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder Gnarlyfish Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
pigrig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k P67A-UD4-B3 6950  Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WDC Black 1TB Crucial 128MB Sony Optiarc Windows 7 & Linux Mint 14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH236H Das Ultimate S Silent Seasonic X-760 HAF 912 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder Gnarlyfish Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTroop View Post

Huh? Are you suggesting Windows Server 2008 is a better OS for servers than Ubuntu? Sorry, but that is so far from the truth rolleyes.gif
Windows OS have a tiny share of the server market, especially in regards to web based services. Linux (and I'd argue Ubuntu in particular) is just a vastly superior OS, both in terms of desktop and in server. All the latest and greatest technologies are incorporated into linux first for a reason. Also, I am glad this thread was bumped as it proves all the Windows gaming fan boys on here wrong...
Gaming on linux is BETTER than gaming on Windows: http://www.geekosystem.com/valve-games-run-faster-linux/

You're missing the point. Each OS has its advantages/disadvantages and it's uses.


That does not prove anything..... The DirectX3D API provides more features for game developers. So a more complex game may be easier to develop on Windows than utilizing OpenGL. With increased complexity and compatibility, there often comes a performance hit.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Can you play BF3 on Ubuntu?