Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › When should you overclock your GPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When should you overclock your GPU? - Page 2

post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabartuth View Post

32 8-16GB of RAM-Corsair Vengeance 1333 1600-1866MHZ
PSU....undecided,but it will be between 800w &1000w 650w-850w

Just thought id fix that up for you, Why do you want 32GB ram? more to the point why would you use 1333mhz ram? also you will never need a power supply that big...
post #12 of 56
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the useful information, I do want to get into OC. I have seen where I have "bottlenecked" my system that I have now because I didn't ask questions. You've said that I should OC my GP first, it because this will show me more of a change?
post #13 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard View Post

My opinion-- If you only have a 60hz monitor, then having more than 60fps is not your goal.
Your goal is to keep that 60fps with even higher graphical settings, or throughout the various different scenes and circumstances you will encounter with a game. If you already can keep 60fps with maxed out everything with one game, you still may not with another (especially future releases).
I like to use EVGA Precision to OC my units. Setting different profiles to universal shortcut keys allows me to switch between stock and various different degrees of overclocks, or for seeing what the individual impact of either core or memory overclocking has. thumb.gif

Right now,I'm using my TV as a monitor. The highest resolution I can get is 1920x1080 and everything plays crappy because of my cheap PSU(400w),Phenom ii x4 945(locked ver.),and various other things I'm using do to my ignorance. I've bought(2) GPUs and was still behind the eight ball. I like playing open world games like Grysis,Fallout, and Metro 2033, and I'm constantly locking up or crashing altogether. And while we are on the subject,I get bad coloring and graphics when playing most games,it has me wondering if i should go back to using an actual monitor due to the response time and other factors. At the moment,I'm blaming my sub-par system.

Good Info thumb.gif
Edited by Sabartuth - 2/26/12 at 12:20am
post #14 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity View Post

Precisely. biggrin.gif Having an average, maximum, and minimum of 60fps is a worthy (and easily attainable) goal. When your minimum FPS are so high, the game feels fluid like never before.
Course I use v-sync and a lot of people don't, but I can't comprehend how nano-seconds (if any) delay is a worthy trade off for the horrible screen tearing.
To OC, MSI afterburner works with pretty much anything. Oh, and GF104/114 overclock like crazy. Very noticeable, scales wonderfully with higher clock speed.

This maybe a rhetorical and stupid question to ask but is there ONE card that will play well most or all games? Or a "setup" that works best on some common level? As soon as I have my mind made up,I read a benchmark,or see a video that shows one that out performs it. It seems like they spit these cards out every few months,why not make one with the latest bells and whistles then go a year before the next one. This is nerve racking because I'm really fed-up with the crashes and games locking up because of the cards I buy.
post #15 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

The onlything I want to add to this is as some one who loves EVGA cards to death I don't recommend their program much. It has been known to cause issue's with lots of different things. Flash and game's are the most common. Recently a RL friend had a problem with a few game's CTD(FallOut3 and some others) turned out to be a problem caused by EVGA persision running. changed him to MSI and everything works fine now.

Can you be more specific as to what progs? Fallout3 is my favorites
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabartuth View Post

This maybe a rhetorical and stupid question to ask but is there ONE card that will play well most or all games? Or a "setup" that works best on some common level? As soon as I have my mind made up,I read a benchmark,or see a video that shows one that out performs it. It seems like they spit these cards out every few months,why not make one with the latest bells and whistles then go a year before the next one. This is nerve racking because I'm really fed-up with the crashes and games locking up because of the cards I buy.

GTX 570
post #17 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_orm View Post

Just looking at ur build, if it is for gaming, u may want to drop a little less money on ram and either go an i5 or get a better gpu, I have a 560ti and it won't max bf3, not quit, but I also have never used more than my 8 gb of ram, so if I was you I would get less ram and more gpu

Yes,it is mostly for gaming. At times I do some work with videos and other things that require large amounts of RAM. So 32Gbs is too much? I can use that money elsewhere,I already have my MB,so I'm stuck with the CPU,but I will look into getting a better GPU.

Thanks for the suggestion:D
post #18 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowey View Post

Quote:
Just thought id fix that up for you,
Thank you,this is the kind of help I need.
Quote:
Why do you want 32GB ram?
To be honest,I sometime think if a little is good,more must be better. But I've recently read where most software and tasks only need 8Gbs.
Quote:
more to the point why would you use 1333mhz ram?
Out of ignorance,and I read where the higher speeds will give me no appreciable advantage for what I mostly do on my rig,which is play games.
Quote:
also you will never need a power supply that big.

I've heard and read different views on this particular subject,and I tend to agree with you 100% But I was planing for future additions to my rig. I'm glad you brought this because it has cleared my mind. There is no way solid state will use that much wattage,even during continuous usage,and if a GPU, hard drive, and optical drive draw that much power,something is very wrong.

thumb.gifthumb.gif
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabartuth View Post

Thank you,this is the kind of help I need.

1.) To be honest,I sometime think if a little is good,more must be better. But I've recently read where most software and tasks only need 8Gbs. Out of ignorance,and I read where the higher speeds will give me no appreciable advantage for what I mostly do on my rig,which is play games.

2.)I've heard and read different views on this particular subject,and I tend to agree with you 100% But I was planing for future additions to my rig. I'm glad you brought this because it has cleared my mind. There is no way solid state will use that much wattage,even during continuous usage,and if a GPU, hard drive, and optical drive draw that much power,something is very wrong.

1.) Nope, in most cases that seems to be bang on. Not always the case, if you want good capacity ram then try and use the least amount of dimms as you can. Most common is 8GB 2x4GB, Get a good 1600mhz CAS9 kit. I really wouldn't bother with 32GB 1333 in a gaming system. You should always take the fast ram in a gaming system.

2.) I understand why you would want to get something near to 1000w, additional upgrades etc. But seriously, If your not planning on using Quad GTX 580's then im pretty sure you will never need something that big. Ive had the same power supply since 2009, I suggest buying a good brand psu... it will last you forever, (Corsair or Seasonic i suggest) ive had 3 different graphics card using the same psu, 8800GT, GTX 460 and now a GTX 580 all of which the 750w power supply wont break a sweat powering these components, your peripheral components like ssd's etc. they consume next to nothing in terms of power.


Hope this helped
post #20 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowey View Post

1.) Nope, in most cases that seems to be bang on. Not always the case, if you want good capacity ram then try and use the least amount of dimms as you can. Most common is 8GB 2x4GB, Get a good 1600mhz CAS9 kit. I really wouldn't bother with 32GB 1333 in a gaming system. You should always take the fast ram in a gaming system.
2.) I understand why you would want to get something near to 1000w, additional upgrades etc. But seriously, If your not planning on using Quad GTX 580's then im pretty sure you will never need something that big. Ive had the same power supply since 2009, I suggest buying a good brand psu... it will last you forever, (Corsair or Seasonic i suggest) ive had 3 different graphics card using the same psu, 8800GT, GTX 460 and now a GTX 580 all of which the 750w power supply wont break a sweat powering these components, your peripheral components like ssd's etc. they consume next to nothing in terms of power.
Hope this helped

The most I will run is SLI,and I've researched psu and agree with you. I will get the Corsair 750W, 80 Plus gold modular psu,and your info has been very helpful....Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › When should you overclock your GPU?