Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Tried a 7970 vs. my 560TI 2gb SLI setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tried a 7970 vs. my 560TI 2gb SLI setup - Page 8

post #71 of 105
I use MSI AB's framerate limiter in tandem with in game v-sync. In BF3 especially, if I just enable in game v-sync I will notice massive input lag. While the image would be smooth and lessen screen tearing, the input lag would be too much in that it would affect my gameplay. Setting AB's framerate limiter to 60 helped fix this somehow. I don't know how it works, but it removes the input lag enough where it if you told me there was 0ms input lag, I would believe you.
post #72 of 105
Thread Starter 
Again. At 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 the 7970 was just as fast as the SLI setup. My frames never moved from 60. But as soon as I got to 2560x1440 that is when the SLI system pretty much blew away the 7970 in the minimum frame rate dept. They both would get 60 frames no problem. But the SLI setup would only dip to 55-60 where the 7970 would goto 35-60
post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity View Post

People that try to use this argument can never come up with a good reason when I simply ask them: How do you make sure your single card produces a frame at the precise millisecond 60 times per second? Are you trying to tell me a single card isn't going to have a variance in "frame times"? rolleyes.gif
Absolutely no reason to turn off V-sync. It's not like it's going to help the 7970s case any, anyway. Plus, screen tearing: that's really going to bring out your a-game. When you're shooting at a frame that doesn't even exist any more.
Overclocked? The 560s will still be faster.
You have nothing. I've got experience that contradicts your's. I'd be getting ~40 FPS with one card, and I get 60 constant with 2. Yep. Sure is a terrible thing, having perfectly silky smooth frame rates. "lol"
Oh, here you go: You said we should 'check' multi card performance in BF3 and "we would see" right? Well, you said "singer card" but I'll just pretend it's an accent. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/22 Check out the 1920 x 1200 chart. A 6970 getting 36.4fps, and a 6990 getting 65.5fps. That's terrible scaling, right? rolleyes.gif

ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Have you even owned a 7970, or are you just speaking out of your a**? Looking blindly at FPS numbers as your sole foundation of reason and argument here is entirely flawed. No reason to turn off Vsync? LOL, I guess you don't play many First Person Shooters, do you... Vsync will make almost any competitive FPS player cringe at the input lag.

Your argument stating that a 7970 OC'd wont beat 2 560s in SLI? Rofl. A 7970 can match 6990 performance when OC'd but can't handle 2 560s... right.

And in regards to your statement about 'shooting a frame that doesn't exist anymore' when not using Vsync. That absolutely makes ZERO sense. The amount of time it takes for a frame to refresh is MUCH quicker than any human's reflexes, so even with a slight screen tear for 1/60th of a second won't mean jack.
Omega
(17 items)
 
The Beast
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k C2 @ 4.9 Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula Quad SLI GTX TITAN 32GB DDR3 2133 Ripjaws Z CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB x2 Crucial M4 SSD RAID0 Samsung 840 500GB SSD Internal 1TB x 2 External USB 3.0 1.5TB + 2TB + 1TB + 3TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Burner Triple thick EK 360 Rad with D5 Vario & Raystor... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Catleap 27" 2560x1440 LED LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W Rosewill Thor v2 Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround + Arctic 5.1 Surround Hea... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.7ghz Asus P8P67 WS Revolution XFX 7970 Black Edition x3 Tri-Fire 8GB DDR3 Gskill 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB External+128GB M4 SSD+64GB SSD+250GB WD External DVD Multi H212+ HSF Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GD235HZ 120hz 3d 24" Logitech K120 Corsair TX850 + Thermaltake 850W Antec 900 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 Logitech 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
Omega
(17 items)
 
The Beast
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k C2 @ 4.9 Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula Quad SLI GTX TITAN 32GB DDR3 2133 Ripjaws Z CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB x2 Crucial M4 SSD RAID0 Samsung 840 500GB SSD Internal 1TB x 2 External USB 3.0 1.5TB + 2TB + 1TB + 3TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Burner Triple thick EK 360 Rad with D5 Vario & Raystor... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Catleap 27" 2560x1440 LED LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W Rosewill Thor v2 Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround + Arctic 5.1 Surround Hea... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.7ghz Asus P8P67 WS Revolution XFX 7970 Black Edition x3 Tri-Fire 8GB DDR3 Gskill 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB External+128GB M4 SSD+64GB SSD+250GB WD External DVD Multi H212+ HSF Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GD235HZ 120hz 3d 24" Logitech K120 Corsair TX850 + Thermaltake 850W Antec 900 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 Logitech 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4lh34d View Post

ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Have you even owned a 7970, or are you just speaking out of your a**? Looking blindly at FPS numbers as your sole foundation of reason and argument here is entirely flawed. No reason to turn off Vsync? LOL, I guess you don't play many First Person Shooters, do you... Vsync will make almost any competitive FPS player cringe at the input lag.
Your argument stating that a 7970 OC'd wont beat 2 560s in SLI? Rofl. A 7970 can match 6990 performance when OC'd but can't handle 2 560s... right.
And in regards to your statement about 'shooting a frame that doesn't exist anymore' when not using Vsync. That absolutely makes ZERO sense. The amount of time it takes for a frame to refresh is MUCH quicker than any human's reflexes, so even with a slight screen tear for 1/60th of a second won't mean jack.

I can't play BF3 without Vsync, single card or SLI/Xfire, I play on a normal 60hz montior, and if the FPS rise's above 60FPS in BF3 I get wicked screan tearing, I mean WICKED screwn tearing, to the point where playing is impossible let alone competative game play. This effect is removed compleatly when vsync is on. and its not just my rig, my back up rig and a few of my friends rigs, same thing. With a standerd normal 60hz monitor screen tearing happends above 60 FPS.

If you dont know, Screen tearing is when your monitor cannot refresh fast enough to keep up with the incoming image's from the video output. Its a common issue. Unless your suggesting that every human has a 120hz monitor.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by insyxion View Post

Buy that 120hz monitor
300$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001537
day and night differents betwen 60hz monitor and 120hz monitor..
even if you drop to 70 or 80fps its still so smooth..

omg -.- here comes the flame.
post #76 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

AA kills AMD cards. if you disable it that thing will fly. Why anyone needs AA at your insane resolution IDK.

So why buy a $550+ card and not be able to max games out? proves that AMD are still behind if older generation opposition cards can out perform their new stuff.
post #77 of 105
SLI/CFX setups are awful. You don't notice how bad microstutter is in my experience until you go back to a single card setup. This is coming from someone who has owned both 5850CF and 480SLI. A single 7970 blows both setups out of the water.

I kind of doubt the 560 SLI even in raw numbers is faster then a 7970 (Considering in many games a 7970 matches a 590/6990) but even if it is I wouldn't want to have that setup.

Only time I would want a multi-GPU setup is if the cards were absolute top end (7970CF/580SLI). No doubt those feel smoother and perform better then a single card. Anything lower then that though give me a single powerful GPU.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ISM]-BlueDragon View Post

wow.... I think some people are starting to get butt hurt over this thread.... who cares which one out performs by a few FPS/frametime etc. if you like the looks are are satisfied by how it plays who cares.... enjoy the game...

Why doesn't this guy have a medal for this post?
post #79 of 105
Whether it performs worse or better (fps, stuttering), multi SLI or Xfire setups will always win against single card setups.

2 is better than 1.

1 Card running @ 100% is worse than

2 cards @ 50%.
post #80 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

SLI/CFX setups are awful. You don't notice how bad microstutter is in my experience until you go back to a single card setup. This is coming from someone who has owned both 5850CF and 480SLI. A single 7970 blows both setups out of the water.
I kind of doubt the 560 SLI even in raw numbers is faster then a 7970 (Considering in many games a 7970 matches a 590/6990) but even if it is I wouldn't want to have that setup.
Only time I would want a multi-GPU setup is if the cards were absolute top end (7970CF/580SLI). No doubt those feel smoother and perform better then a single card. Anything lower then that though give me a single powerful GPU.

But what does it matter if the person who is playing doesn't notice it when they are using a multi card setup?

Of course the 7970 without AA and overclocked will perform with 590/6990's.

So even if you had a 2560x1440 120Hz monitor you wouldn't go with multi gpu? sad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Tried a 7970 vs. my 560TI 2gb SLI setup