Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club - Page 131

post #1301 of 6491


I had problems with fitting a wlan-card into pci-e x1 slot unless I had the gpu on the top-most pci-e x16 slot. To do that, I had to reseat silver arrow sbe sideways so it now blows air out of the case through roof. Thermals suffered a little, about max 45c idle without speedstep or other energy-saving features

Case: corsair obsidian 550d.
Mobo: Asus ROG R4F

I don't plan on posting here often.
post #1302 of 6491
Could someone explain to me why this CPU has a stock 1.250v while it works perfect with just 1.050v?? What's the point of the .2v?
post #1303 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin198 View Post

Could someone explain to me why this CPU has a stock 1.250v while it works perfect with just 1.050v?? What's the point of the .2v?
Not all of the 3820s can run stock at 1.05v. Intel has the stock voltage higher to compensate for chips that can't reach that level of undervolting.
Captivity
(33 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6900K Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10 R9 Fury X Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Mushkin Reactor Mushkin Reactor 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black Gentle Typhoon AP-15 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolpex Pro 50LT XSPC EX480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill PrimoFlex 7/16x5/8 EK Compression Fittings XSPC EX420 Koolance CPU-380I Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower 90 Degree Angle Fittings XSPC EX420 VPP655 Corsair Air Series SP140 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
PMP-450S Windows 10 Monoprice 4k Ducky DK9008G2 
PowerCaseOtherOther
Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs Merlin ST10 CaseLabs Merlin ST10 Pedestal CaseLabs Merlin ST10 Pedestal 
OtherOtherOtherOther
120.4 (480) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 120.4 (480) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 140.3 (420) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 140.3 (420) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 
Other
HDD Cage Assy - Flex-Bay  
  hide details  
Reply
Captivity
(33 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6900K Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10 R9 Fury X Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Mushkin Reactor Mushkin Reactor 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black Gentle Typhoon AP-15 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolpex Pro 50LT XSPC EX480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill PrimoFlex 7/16x5/8 EK Compression Fittings XSPC EX420 Koolance CPU-380I Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower 90 Degree Angle Fittings XSPC EX420 VPP655 Corsair Air Series SP140 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
PMP-450S Windows 10 Monoprice 4k Ducky DK9008G2 
PowerCaseOtherOther
Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs Merlin ST10 CaseLabs Merlin ST10 Pedestal CaseLabs Merlin ST10 Pedestal 
OtherOtherOtherOther
120.4 (480) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 120.4 (480) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 140.3 (420) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 140.3 (420) Radiator Side Mount - Merlin Pedestal 
Other
HDD Cage Assy - Flex-Bay  
  hide details  
Reply
post #1304 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by superericla View Post

Not all of the 3820s can run stock at 1.05v. Intel has the stock voltage higher to compensate for chips that can't reach that level of undervolting.
Oh wow I didn't know there could be a difference in the same chips.
post #1305 of 6491
...and most likely a good under-volting chip, will be a good overclocker, as it would require less power for higher speeds.
Best in either efficiency or raw power...yam wink.gif

Btw - got my PSU replaced, and now running happily 4.625 @ 1.385V (ok, not that happy for that, but it could be worse), with my Samsung 30nm ticking @ 2333MHz 11-11-11-32 1T & 1.5V.
Did not run Prime for more than a couple of hours, but it seems ok. Has been folding with CPU + GPU (1240-45 core, 3400 mem), and temps are below 70C for both.
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1306 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin198 View Post

Oh wow I didn't know there could be a difference in the same chips.

Yeah, some people call it the 'silicon lottery'.

Some chips can overclock to a given level with relatively low voltages, others (like mine) require substantially more voltage to reach the same overclock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolios View Post

...and most likely a good under-volting chip, will be a good overclocker, as it would require less power for higher speeds.
Best in either efficiency or raw power...yam wink.gif
Btw - got my PSU replaced, and now running happily 4.625 @ 1.385V (ok, not that happy for that, but it could be worse), with my Samsung 30nm ticking @ 2333MHz 11-11-11-32 1T & 1.5V.
Did not run Prime for more than a couple of hours, but it seems ok. Has been folding with CPU + GPU (1240-45 core, 3400 mem), and temps are below 70C for bot

Mine needs 1.39 for 4.625. thumb.gif
post #1307 of 6491
I'm new to overclocking.
If I run my 3820 at 4.3ghz, and try undervolting, it runs completely fine at -1.110v.
However, if I run prime95, one worker fails, core 2 loses the load to about 50%, and the other 3 cores work fine at 100%.
If I want to have all 4 cores run prime95 without failing, I have to tune it up all the way to -0.080v
Why does core 2 need 0.030v more?
What is the logic behind this?
post #1308 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin198 View Post

I'm new to overclocking.
If I run my 3820 at 4.3ghz, and try undervolting, it runs completely fine at -1.110v.
However, if I run prime95, one worker fails, core 2 loses the load to about 50%, and the other 3 cores work fine at 100%.
If I want to have all 4 cores run prime95 without failing, I have to tune it up all the way to -0.080v
Why does core 2 need 0.030v more?
What is the logic behind this?


Logic has nothing to do with it. If the silicon requires more voltage it requires more voltage.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1309 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Logic has nothing to do with it. If the silicon requires more voltage it requires more voltage.
I ALWAYS have to find logic behind things, I just have to tongue.gif so sad there is none this time tongue.gif
post #1310 of 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin198 View Post

I ALWAYS have to find logic behind things, I just have to tongue.gif so sad there is none this time tongue.gif

It is not irrational, there is just noone here that knows exactly how the chip is laid out.
Maybe there are slight imperfections in one core more than the others, or that core appears to be further down the power feed line, so it gets some additional micro-V-drop in comparison.
Some cores also run hotter (my hottest core is fluctuating 3-4oC from the coolest - according to RealTemp 3.7), so maybe your answer is in-between: your #2 core or w/e, receives the tiniest of less Voltage or the tiniest of more Voltage, heats up more and crashes 1st.
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club