Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club - Page 132

post #1311 of 6497
Dude, 3-4c difference between cores is DAMN GOOD.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1312 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Dude, 3-4c difference between cores is DAMN GOOD.
That's why I chose not to boost Vcore more - I could go at least one multiplier up, but not with less than 1.42V -something, and then temp between cores would fluctuate A LOT.
Esp. under prime, where it would hit 85oC for the hottest core. I guess past the 1.4V the SA SB-E cannot keep up as good. Maybe the H100 can be slightly better - maybe not. I don't want to mess with TIM re-application (have to rip the mobo out to de-mount/mount the huge cooler), if it works as it is @ 4.5-4.625, I get my 1.2+ GHz OC and I am happy.

Now I fold @ 4.625 and it is pretty stable temp wise - highest is 69-70oC, and the lowest is usually 66oC. I preffer that clearly.
Also I dislike heavily AC spaces, so my house is rarely below 80oF (27oC). That's crazy "high" apparently for Californians.
Unfortunately my apt is west facing, upper story so I get my walls radiating too much for me to do with just natural ventilation.
Edited by pcfoo - 9/10/12 at 2:11pm
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1313 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin198 View Post

Oh wow I didn't know there could be a difference in the same chips.

not an exact science...
post #1314 of 6497
Anybody on here want to really stress test their CPU and join the OCN Folding@Home Team Competition. There is a referral contest that you possibly win Prizes if you join. I think one of the prizes is Cookies! Yes, that's right Cookies!
post #1315 of 6497
COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
TJ Harlow Special
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7920 Asus Rampage ii Extreme HIS 6850 1gb HIS 6850 1gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Dominator  OCZ Vertex 2 Samsung  Zalman CNPS9900 
OSMonitorMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ult Hanns G 27" Hanns G 27" Antec 1200 R1 
  hide details  
Reply
TJ Harlow Special
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7920 Asus Rampage ii Extreme HIS 6850 1gb HIS 6850 1gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Dominator  OCZ Vertex 2 Samsung  Zalman CNPS9900 
OSMonitorMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ult Hanns G 27" Hanns G 27" Antec 1200 R1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1316 of 6497
Hi Guys I'm trying to overclock my new 3820 and I can boot up well enough with vcore 1.35, BCLK 125Mhz and stepping 36 or 37 which give me an overclock of 4.5 or 4.625 repsectively.

However the moment I run a small FFT's stress test in prime 95 my system fails; either powering off or BSOD'ing. I've tried uping the vcore as high as 1.4v with the same result. I'm starting to wonder if its my power suppy. I've calculated the max total power draw (being very very generous) could only be as high as ~460W. Hovever my +3.3v and +5v rails have a max wattage of 140W (24amps each) and I'm wondering if this could be the issue. I found the below quote which was in a review regarding my mainboard which made me think this.

(Also not that temps are idling in 30's and not even getting to 60c before crashing so I don't think they are the issue).
Quote:
Due to the logical high core count and hyper threading be aware that strong cooling is required for 4.5GHz + overclocking. For 4.8GHz and upwards you will need a solution that can dissipate in excess of 175watts (with 180 to 200 watts being realistic under synthetic stress tests).
....

Be advised that relative to these wattage levels draw on your PSU can be very high and a PSU with a minimum of a quality 25amp rail if not 30amp rail is strongly recommended.

From http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=834&Itemid=38

My PSU is a Corsair HX520 and all build details are in my sig build. Just wondering if anyone believes this would be the case as I really don't want to invest in a new PSU if I don't have to.
Styx
(27 items)
 
  
Reply
Styx
(27 items)
 
  
Reply
post #1317 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolios View Post

That's why I chose not to boost Vcore more - I could go at least one multiplier up, but not with less than 1.42V -something, and then temp between cores would fluctuate A LOT.
Esp. under prime, where it would hit 85oC for the hottest core. I guess past the 1.4V the SA SB-E cannot keep up as good. Maybe the H100 can be slightly better - maybe not. I don't want to mess with TIM re-application (have to rip the mobo out to de-mount/mount the huge cooler), if it works as it is @ 4.5-4.625, I get my 1.2+ GHz OC and I am happy.
Now I fold @ 4.625 and it is pretty stable temp wise - highest is 69-70oC, and the lowest is usually 66oC. I preffer that clearly.
Also I dislike heavily AC spaces, so my house is rarely below 80oF (27oC). That's crazy "high" apparently for Californians.
Unfortunately my apt is west facing, upper story so I get my walls radiating too much for me to do with just natural ventilation.


My 3820 has a small differential of 4-6c iirc. I'm not using it atm, testing this freaking 3930k. This chip run low volts, but you can crank the volts up and when you do, it lets loose like a wild mustang. Core differentials can get as high as 15c+ lol. It's a strange chip, so for daily use volts are low since it only needs 1.336v for 4.8, it is tame.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1318 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropia View Post

Hi Guys I'm trying to overclock my new 3820 and I can boot up well enough with vcore 1.35, BCLK 125Mhz and stepping 36 or 37 which give me an overclock of 4.5 or 4.625 repsectively.
However the moment I run a small FFT's stress test in prime 95 my system fails; either powering off or BSOD'ing. I've tried uping the vcore as high as 1.4v with the same result. I'm starting to wonder if its my power suppy. I've calculated the max total power draw (being very very generous) could only be as high as ~460W. Hovever my +3.3v and +5v rails have a max wattage of 140W (24amps each) and I'm wondering if this could be the issue. I found the below quote which was in a review regarding my mainboard which made me think this.
(Also not that temps are idling in 30's and not even getting to 60c before crashing so I don't think they are the issue).
My PSU is a Corsair HX520 and all build details are in my sig build. Just wondering if anyone believes this would be the case as I really don't want to invest in a new PSU if I don't have to.

I believe your Vcore is too low for that kind of O/C.
You should go at least 1.38-1.385V, and work yourself down. That's what I did for 4.5GHz at least. I need almost 1.4 for 4.625 (that's what CPU-Z reports, I set it at 1.390 in the BIOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

My 3820 has a small differential of 4-6c iirc. I'm not using it atm, testing this freaking 3930k. This chip run low volts, but you can crank the volts up and when you do, it lets loose like a wild mustang. Core differentials can get as high as 15c+ lol. It's a strange chip, so for daily use volts are low since it only needs 1.336v for 4.8, it is tame.

Well, the 3930K is more-or-less 50% bigger, so the cores are spreaded in a much larger area.
I know I've got into the X79 loop wishing to upgrade to a 6-core at some point, but who knows - maybe a 8-10 core IB-E will be even better tongue.gif
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1319 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolios View Post

I believe your Vcore is too low for that kind of O/C.
You should go at least 1.38-1.385V, and work yourself down. That's what I did for 4.5GHz at least. I need almost 1.4 for 4.625 (that's what CPU-Z reports, I set it at 1.390 in the BIOS.

He's set it to 1.4V with the same result.

What about the RAM? Have you set it to 1666?
post #1320 of 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

He's set it to 1.4V with the same result.
What about the RAM? Have you set it to 1666?

I'd tried 1.4 with 37 x 125 (4625) which didn't work. However i gave 1.41v a go at 4625Mhz and it ran Prime for about an hour before BSOD (best yet for me thumb.gif). So now i'm trying 4500Mhz at 1.4 (which I hadn't tried yet because i didn't think it was needed... oops) and it's running alright so far, getting close to the hour mark now actually.

Hottest core has hit 68C at one point but hovering around 66 to 67 and lowest core hasn't gone past 58C yet. I'd be happy with those temps but how will running my comp at 1.4v for day to day usage degrade the CPU at all. I've heard mixed things about this which is why I didn't really want to breach the 1.4v barrier earlier.

EDIT: and yes RAM is at 1666 with 1.5v timings 9-9-9-24
Edited by Entropia - 9/11/12 at 4:53am
Styx
(27 items)
 
  
Reply
Styx
(27 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 3820 - 4820 Overclock Club