Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Quad Core Battle : Intel Yorkfield vs AMD Altair
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quad Core Battle : Intel Yorkfield vs AMD Altair - Page 6

post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgnome229
you really cant expect a new proc core to affect stock prices so soon. it is only beginning to move from the enthusiast market - a few weeks ago there were no core2 OEM pc's. not to mention that intel's business is so massive that its cpu market has a muted effect on stock prices.

Very true. AMD is going up because they aquired ATI....therfore expanding their business and outlooks are good due to this smart aquisition.

Intel is not going down, but not skyrocketing because for a new product to affect stock you must see sales figures. Some people may even think Intel is selling at or under cost or at least at limited profit due to the pricing structure. So until the earnings statement for this quarter is released (next year) the stock will likely hang around where it is.


Personally, I would hesitate to jump up and claim either company's planned CPU is "the winner" just yet. AMDs design is just as promising as Intel's, even at slower speeds and larger die size.....AMD delivered superior performance for many years with larger dies and slower speeds.....so it would not be impossible, or unheard of for them to deliver the same again.


Me? I'll wait until the test chips start getting put through their paces before making any assumptions on which is better.
post #52 of 74
sorry to interrupt the heavy debate but omg could you imagine the benchmarks for mark06 with on of these things. One of my 2x 4400+'s does 2k a quad has to be up in the 4-5K range.
post #53 of 74
Thread Starter 
Im just happy all this things are going on right now
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T5200 Intel 945 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 160GB SATA Multiformat Double Layer DVD RW Windows Vista Home Premium 15.4" Ultra Bright WXGA TFT/WestingHouse 22" LCD 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Dynex Gateway Dynex 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T5200 Intel 945 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 160GB SATA Multiformat Double Layer DVD RW Windows Vista Home Premium 15.4" Ultra Bright WXGA TFT/WestingHouse 22" LCD 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Dynex Gateway Dynex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by éτÃ¥k§pëèlstæ
I agree with rabidgnome229. Right now, Intel is pulling ahead. Needless to say, we can see with our own eyes that Intel is producing more powerful CPU's. But it goes without saying that AMD will, at least IMHO, come out with something nearly as powerful (or maybe even more powerful, but that's doubtful just from what I see) or it will fall behind and start losing the theoretical race for the best CPU production on the market.
You guys are missing the point. The point is that debates like these are pointless because it's all based on what we think we know, which is extrapolated from synthetic benchmarks and road maps. Intel comes out with Core 2 and a road map, and all of a sudden there are ridiculous debates like this one that concede AMD is all of a sudden horrible. And then on both sides, you have Intel and AMD fanboys gloating about how well their favored company is or isn't doing and how they will fare against each other in the future. This doesn't really help anyone, let alone the forum, grow intellectually because it's all opinion or the reiteration of the opinion of others. Why spend so much time speculating?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer4lifex
You guys are missing the point. The point is that debates like these are pointless because it's all based on what we think we know, which is extrapolated from synthetic benchmarks and road maps. Intel comes out with Core 2 and a road map, and all of a sudden there are ridiculous debates like this one that concede AMD is all of a sudden horrible. And then on both sides, you have Intel and AMD fanboys gloating about how well their favored company is or isn't doing and how they will fare against each other in the future. This doesn't really help anyone, let alone the forum, grow intellectually because it's all opinion or the reiteration of the opinion of others. Why spend so much time speculating?
nobody is claiming that our predictions are fact - but it's impossible not to have an opinion on the matter. I see data about the current state of the companies and their roadmaps - and based on that I form opinions about possible current and future states of those companies.

just because we cannot know for certain does not mean that we should preclude discussion. people interested in religion discuss religion without ever reaching certainty, people interested in poitics discuss politics without ever reaching certainty. I am interested in technology and I will disuss that technology - even if I can never reach certainty

Nobody is advocating fanboyism - but what is wrong with making predictions based on the information we have available?
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 74
So you Amd's guys are saiding Intel will kill it self by going too fast and one day it will hit the Great Wall of China and killed itself? Ever heard of faster is better? I'm pretty sure Intel is not as dumb as you guys think they are; at least Intel will be the first in line to get DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, etc.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 2.83GHz Asus P5Q Deluxe MSi N580 Twin Frozr III Lightning Extreme F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous X Window 7 x64 1080p TV monitor Corsair 1000watts 
Case
Naked 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 2.83GHz Asus P5Q Deluxe MSi N580 Twin Frozr III Lightning Extreme F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous X Window 7 x64 1080p TV monitor Corsair 1000watts 
Case
Naked 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanming
So you Amd's guys are saiding Intel will kill it self by going too fast and one day it will hit the Great Wall of China and killed itself? Ever heard of faster is better? I'm pretty sure Intel is not as dumb as you guys think they are; at least Intel will be the first in line to get DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, etc.
Its more complicated than that. Summing it up in 23 words doesn't cut it.

The funny thing about this tread, everyone says they are not fanboys but when I read what you all say and how you say it I don't even have to look at your system specs.
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgnome229
Nobody is advocating fanboyism - but what is wrong with making predictions based on the information we have available?
There is nothing wrong with that, given it doesn't get out of hand. I read at least one different thread per day that is just loaded with fanboy flaming because of speculation like this. Now, as far as speculation goes, what resources does one have to utilize? Roadmaps and current performance. I don't know how many times people have said 'I think AMD is falling behind' or 'I think Intel is really going to be the performance king for time to come' and then 'Just wait until K8L and 65nm AMD, they'll win it back' and statements like those. But after it's said once, that is as far as it goes. Now if you guys talked about architecture and said 'Well, I think that Intel's new SSE4 is going to out perform the K8L's instruction set, because reason x" and actual in depth discussion, then it would make discussion worth while. The main reason I think current talks are a waste of time is because it grows into flame wars.

But it comes down to this: Noone has to listen to me, and I don't have to give an opinion on the matter. Instead of sounding bitter, I'm just trying to offer the idea that controversial threads need not be so hostile. Or perhaps they need more detailed discussion instead of big picture speculation (which is almost always inherently wrong because it is intellectual property).
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX
Its more complicated than that. Summing it up is 23 words doesn't cut it.

The funny thing about this tread, everyone says they are not fanboys but when I read what you all say and how you say it I don't even have to look at your system specs.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I totally agree.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610 DFI LanParty Ultra-D Sapphire X1900XT 512MB 2x 1GB OCZ Gold DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse
160GB WD Caviar Ubuntu Hiper 580W UV Blue Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 74
I think the real question wil be who breaks the mold that current cpu's and systems are based off of today? I have always joked about "socket-set", video cards and crap like that. What about a new break through, like an upgradable NorthBridge chip w/ integrated RAM, or something NEW? Personnaly I think AMD and Intel are FAR BEHIND the curve if you ask me. Instead of looking for something new, they are using the same approach all American production companies use-> Revamp the same ol' $hite and put more 'bells and whistles' on it..................wooooooohoooooooooo.

If they really made something good-> it would change the industry as a whole, not just the box and the price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Quad Core Battle : Intel Yorkfield vs AMD Altair