Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Page 2

post #11 of 24
then all is good my only concern is the 970 chip set it does not support crossfire AND sli and may not support any new CPUs after bulldozer.
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
I am planning on upgrading to a ROG motherboard for AM3+ down the road, most likely in about a year, and worse case is that it doa, and I have to get a new one. I only plan on having it for a year, two at most...
post #13 of 24
won't you have to reformat windows?
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
I will hopefully be upgrading to windows 8, if it shows a good amount of improvement over windows 7for the fx-8120...Plus, I will at most have a 8-core in here, by the time I get pile driver I will hopefully of upgraded...
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

then all is good my only concern is the 970 chip set it does not support crossfire AND sli and may not support any new CPUs after bulldozer.

It does support xfire and sli http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=970%20Extreme4 here this guy running sli check out post #45 http://www.overclock.net/t/1062800/asrock-970-extreme4-am3/40
WHITE GHOST FX
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8120BE AsRock 970 Extreme4 XFX DD R9 280X IN XFIRE Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSD Corsair H100 W7 64BIT 40 INCH LED MONITOR 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire(RED) Corsair TX750W NZXT PHANTOM Corsair M90 
Audio
CORSAIR 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
WHITE GHOST FX
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8120BE AsRock 970 Extreme4 XFX DD R9 280X IN XFIRE Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSD Corsair H100 W7 64BIT 40 INCH LED MONITOR 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire(RED) Corsair TX750W NZXT PHANTOM Corsair M90 
Audio
CORSAIR 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Actually we are talking about the ASRock 970 extreme3, you talking about extreme 4...
post #17 of 24
I know that right now I have the exact board you are talking about. I did the same thing, under a very tight budget, and I agree with everyone else here....
Buy a better board and hold off on everything else.

The board looks nice, has nice features, but when it comes to overclocking.... HA
Even with a 4100 in this thing it has issues at every level of OC...
The most you can hope for is going from 3.6 to 4.0 MAYBE 4.1 running proper voltages. It is a PAIN in the AS5 to keep the voltages in line as they never stay where you have them set.

I actually have to run this bare stock until I can get a better mobo. It just cannot handle the FX properly. It runs my Phenom II 980 like a ******* truck, easily going over 4.3 ghz, but it still has heat issues.

If you need something to just last so long, I would say get this and just leave everything running at factory settings and DO NOT GET 1866 MHz memory. I have no idea why, but even with a processor that can handle it the **** crashes the mobo every 5 minutes. It can only run 1600 at the standard 9-9-9 clocks. Anything different and it just nails the performance all around...

The boards well built, but its still a hunk of junk by todays standards.

Also,
Stay away from the FX until they do some work on them... They are honestly.... meh.
I love AMD, but I regret buying the 8150 and the 4100.


EDIT:
Also, do not use more than 8gb (4gb x 2) of memory. Wont work. At all. Cant even power on... You would have to use 1333 mhz to run 16gb, anymore more and it will only handle up to 8gb.
Edited by Caskinsro - 3/2/12 at 9:15am
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskinsro View Post

I know that right now I have the exact board you are talking about. I did the same thing, under a very tight budget, and I agree with everyone else here....
Buy a better board and hold off on everything else.
The board looks nice, has nice features, but when it comes to overclocking.... HA
Even with a 4100 in this thing it has issues at every level of OC...
The most you can hope for is going from 3.6 to 4.0 MAYBE 4.1 running proper voltages. It is a PAIN in the AS5 to keep the voltages in line as they never stay where you have them set.
I actually have to run this bare stock until I can get a better mobo. It just cannot handle the FX properly. It runs my Phenom II 980 like a ******* truck, easily going over 4.3 ghz, but it still has heat issues.
If you need something to just last so long, I would say get this and just leave everything running at factory settings and DO NOT GET 1866 MHz memory. I have no idea why, but even with a processor that can handle it the **** crashes the mobo every 5 minutes. It can only run 1600 at the standard 9-9-9 clocks. Anything different and it just nails the performance all around...
The boards well built, but its still a hunk of junk by todays standards.
Also,
Stay away from the FX until they do some work on them... They are honestly.... meh.
I love AMD, but I regret buying the 8150 and the 4100.
EDIT:
Also, do not use more than 8gb (4gb x 2) of memory. Wont work. At all. Cant even power on... You would have to use 1333 mhz to run 16gb, anymore more and it will only handle up to 8gb.
Personally, I plan on upgrading to a rog crossfire v formula next year, this is just my stand in til I get enough money to upgrade, steam is not helping!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwt226 View Post

Actually we are talking about the ASRock 970 extreme3, you talking about extreme 4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyphor View Post

It does support xfire and sli http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=970%20Extreme4 here this guy running sli check out post #45 http://www.overclock.net/t/1062800/asrock-970-extreme4-am3/40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-13-157-280-_-Product

On the details tab on the Extreme 3 it says it supports crossfire:
Quote:
Supports AM3+ Processor, 8-Core CPU

Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2100(OC)

Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX and CrossFireX
It is however limited to x4 on the second slot which will reduce performance on some of the newer cards.
I was under the impression that this board is fairly unique in this way.
Edited by LuckySe7ens - 3/2/12 at 9:42am
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwt226 View Post

Actually we are talking about the ASRock 970 extreme3, you talking about extreme 4...

Ah....Oops my bad miss that number biggrin.gif
WHITE GHOST FX
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8120BE AsRock 970 Extreme4 XFX DD R9 280X IN XFIRE Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSD Corsair H100 W7 64BIT 40 INCH LED MONITOR 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire(RED) Corsair TX750W NZXT PHANTOM Corsair M90 
Audio
CORSAIR 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
WHITE GHOST FX
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8120BE AsRock 970 Extreme4 XFX DD R9 280X IN XFIRE Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSD Corsair H100 W7 64BIT 40 INCH LED MONITOR 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire(RED) Corsair TX750W NZXT PHANTOM Corsair M90 
Audio
CORSAIR 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard