Originally Posted by Chimeracaust
How about this... I hate the COD series for the following reasons:
1. Scripted single player campaign that plays like a shooting gallery and never feels real. Complete lack of dynamic AI that results in boring sp campaigns that play exactly the same every play through and stifle player freedom.
2. Multiplayer that encourages lone wolf/camping style of game play.
3. Extremely low skill barrier to entry, noobs can learn the game in an hour and the skill ceiling is only inches from the skill floor. No tactics needed or useful.
4. Poor weapon balance that encourages player to use insta-gib weapons (ie snipers, nade launchers etc), making deaths all about who shoots first
5. Yearly sequels that made this style of gameplay boring years ago, not to mention setting standard like $60 pc games and no dedicated servers (for some cod games)
6. Activision, a company whose ceo has declared he wants to remove the fun from making and playing games, among a million other legit reasons to hate Activision.
That cogent enough for you?
Most being very subjective/opinionated.
1. Opinion, no game ever feels real to me. Nor do they feel like a shooting gallery. Both of which I have plenty of real experience with as I've served time in the military as well as do/did competition shooting every once in a while when I have time/money to do so. They feel like a game. Battlefield series feels the same to me. The only games that have felt remotely better have been the Rainbow Six, Socom and Ghost Recon series. Nice to be able to give your team commands instead of them just running off doing scripted stuff. But still, overall not a problem related to CoD. It's more of a problem with the overall majority of FPS games these days.
Overall, any FPS game with a storyline that they stick to is going to be and feel scripted. Can't get around that. Unless they make the game multi-option with multiple different cut-scenes and storylines depending on what you pick. It would make it feel more like you're in control of what happens, but it will still feel scripted to an extent.
2. Opinion, any other FPS that doesn't encourage lone wolf style or camping?
3. Opinion, low skill barrier bad? You mean you're upset because there's another 1000 kids out there as good as you at something. Man, what a shame. Here I thought games where everyone has a relatively equal chance was fun. There's very little 'skill' needed in a lot of games these days, especially in FPS. Very few FPS games these days need an stradegy or tactics. You want that go play an RTS game. But not needing tactics and having a low skill barrier is not just a CoD problem, it's an overall FPS problem.
4. Opinion, not many matches I've played where anyone uses a grenade launcher, lol. Snipers of course are strong, as they are in real life. You get shot with a .50 or even a socom round in the shoulder from just about any range, your arm will be laying on the ground. You get shot with an AK/M4 or just about any other normal caliber weapon, you'll have a hole in your arm, be a little sore, but you'll still trek on. Pretty normal to me.
5. Opinion, and somehwhat false, each year and alternate company/series releases a game. WaW/MW/BlOps all alternated releases. Using the same engine, which is why they'll feel the same. Standard pricing is standard
. No dedicated servers goes back to it being a CONSOLE PORT.
6. Nothing to do with the game. And if you have a problem with activision then that's your problem. They're still setting record sales each year, must being doing something right