Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TV] Windows 8 vs. iPad: feature by feature
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TV] Windows 8 vs. iPad: feature by feature - Page 12

post #111 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post

Wait, so Windows doesn't support Hi DPI displays? You can't hook a 4k monitor up to windows, RIGHT NOW?
Is anyone sure the OSX is actually increasing the sizes of the files in order to suit hi DPI displays, or do they just want to make icons huge? As in, make an icon look good even if it is taking up nearly an entire display?
It seems to me that it would be more appropriate if it was just Apple wanting to make it so that a single icon can take up a whole screen, you know, for the tards.

You mean, the tards that make posts like this? Yeah....
post #112 of 115
whats the point of a high ppi display without the hardware to support it and media in that degree of resolution?
post #113 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post

Wait, so Windows doesn't support Hi DPI displays? You can't hook a 4k monitor up to windows, RIGHT NOW?
Is anyone sure the OSX is actually increasing the sizes of the files in order to suit hi DPI displays, or do they just want to make icons huge? As in, make an icon look good even if it is taking up nearly an entire display?
It seems to me that it would be more appropriate if it was just Apple wanting to make it so that a single icon can take up a whole screen, you know, for the tards.
In iOS you might have an image called "Background" and "Background@2x", and the OS automatically loads the higher resolution image when the scaling factor of the device is 2. The same naming system has been found in Lion, with graphics double the resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

whats the point of a high ppi display without the hardware to support it and media in that degree of resolution?
The benefits will be a sharper overall view. Text, crisper images, and a crisper UI. Games can look much much better too. And these things will improve over time, apps will come out supporting Hi-DPI.

The higher resolution will stress hardware and put it to shame somewhat. Crysis at 3840x2160 w/ 60 FPS? Not gunna happen. So, it'll probably help to push out more powerful GPUs, encourage it along ya know.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

The higher resolution will stress hardware and put it to shame somewhat. Crysis at 3840x2160 w/ 60 FPS? Not gunna happen. So, it'll probably help to push out more powerful GPUs, encourage it along ya know.

I hope it does lead to greater growth in hardware department. The high resolution could be nice for video or photo editing, but whether the OS itself is hd is irrelevant in that regard.

Ultimately this just comes down to hd icons and interfaces stuff. Whether specific programs can use super hd simply comes down to the screen and hardware quality, and the decision the programmers make. It has nothing to do with the OS. Most importantly OSX will most likely still suck for gaming
post #115 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

I hope it does lead to greater growth in hardware department. The high resolution could be nice for video or photo editing, but whether the OS itself is hd is irrelevant in that regard.
Ultimately this just comes down to hd icons and interfaces stuff. Whether specific programs can use super hd simply comes down to the screen and hardware quality, and the decision the programmers make. It has nothing to do with the OS. Most importantly OSX will most likely still suck for gaming
Actually it does have everything to do with the OS, it needs to support resolution independence. Right now, with a 3840x2160 display, everything would appear much smaller. With support for resolution independence, it will be exactly the same physical size but look much crisper, with exception to images which will look the same as on a 1080p display until they're updated with higher resolution versions -- Microsoft would need to provide developers with some API to check what the scaling factor of the screen is, and then developers could start supporting it. Apparently WPF already supports that, not sure about .NET.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TV] Windows 8 vs. iPad: feature by feature