I'm looking to replace my stock Intel LGA 1155 HSF for my i5-2500K just because it's noisy and load temps can get quite toasty!
If you have any additional HSF recommendations, please post!
Q1: Is it better to have a tower-style cooler mounted horizontally to exhaust air upwards out of my case? Or is it better to use a low-profile-style cooler like the Geminii S (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3263)?
I don't have a rear exhaust fan, but I do have two 120mm exhaust fans at the top of my case (see the pictures below)
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - very nice, the heatsink size is ideal but the fans don't match my color scheme; replacing the fans would defeat the purpose
Thermolabs BADA - very nice, but the heatsink is just a tad bit too tall for my build
Havik 140 - the 140 and the 120 are a bit too big for my build
Hyper 212/TX3/Corsair A70 - nice but fairly plain looking.. I'd like eye candy in addition to functionality
Components for HSF Clearance Consideration:
1. mATX Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.us/fileupload/product/2/3855/4283_big.jpg
2. mATX NZXT Vulcan - http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/22/0,1425,sz=1&i=225944,00.jpg
HSF Preferences :
1. No closed-loop liquid coolers, e.g. Corsair H60, etc.
2. PWM fan(s), need something quiet yet powerful
3. If tower-style, cooler should be able to mount horizontally (airflow moving upwards)
4. Black/blue/white fan-blade color preferred; blue LED or no LED at all
Sorry for being so picky but this build is my baby!
If it helps any, here's inside shots of my case showing the space I have to work with. The SSD is definitely move-able, but I kind of like where it's situated.
Edited by mingqi53 - 3/22/12 at 7:10pm