Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock X79 Discussion & Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASRock X79 Discussion & Owners Club - Page 48

post #471 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jultsu View Post

Hey guys, just a quick update. I returned my Xeon and will be getting a refund for it. Now the question is, should I go for the i7-3930k (which is 550 euros) OR a used i7-3960k ES (for 700 euros.)
Is the 15MB L3 and 1x bigger multiplier worth the extra 150 euros? Could I break 5GHz with air with the 3960k??

I don't know on first hand experience but I hear the 3930k is the best buy for your money compared to the 3960X.
post #472 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jultsu View Post

Hey guys, just a quick update. I returned my Xeon and will be getting a refund for it. Now the question is, should I go for the i7-3930k (which is 550 euros) OR a used i7-3960k ES (for 700 euros.)
Is the 15MB L3 and 1x bigger multiplier worth the extra 150 euros? Could I break 5GHz with air with the 3960k??

gonna have to say impossible on either chip to hit 5ghz on air. the heat off these chips are pretty crazy. well atleast to run it daily. You could maybe hit it just to say you did it. I think most people are limited to 4.4 or 4.6 at max on these chips on air.
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #473 of 1592
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jultsu View Post

Hey guys, just a quick update. I returned my Xeon and will be getting a refund for it. Now the question is, should I go for the i7-3930k (which is 550 euros) OR a used i7-3960k ES (for 700 euros.)
Is the 15MB L3 and 1x bigger multiplier worth the extra 150 euros? Could I break 5GHz with air with the 3960k??

3930k, the 3930x isn't a better overclocking and performance gains are not worth the extra 150 euros.


Also, 5ghz on air is only possible with over powered fans, something like a NH-D14 with 150cfm fans on it. Not very realistic, especially when you think of how loud those fans have to be.
 
The Lil Llano
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-3930k C-2 ASrock Extreme9 X79 EVGA GTX570 HD Muskin Redline 993997 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Dell Constilation 7200rpm 6gbps LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model i... Corsair H100 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Coolermaster Excalibur (x4) Coolermaster Turbine (x4) Bitfenix 200mm Spectre Pro  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24" Sammy 23" Asus Logitech G15 Coolermaster Silent Pro 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t Logitech MX518 Razer Vespula Dual Sided  Creative 3d Game Blaster 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-3300 Llano ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 AMD Radeon HD 6410D G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE Stock Windows XP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 275w APEX DM-318 Black Steel Micro ATX Logitech K400 
  hide details  
Reply
 
The Lil Llano
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-3930k C-2 ASrock Extreme9 X79 EVGA GTX570 HD Muskin Redline 993997 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Dell Constilation 7200rpm 6gbps LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model i... Corsair H100 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Coolermaster Excalibur (x4) Coolermaster Turbine (x4) Bitfenix 200mm Spectre Pro  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24" Sammy 23" Asus Logitech G15 Coolermaster Silent Pro 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t Logitech MX518 Razer Vespula Dual Sided  Creative 3d Game Blaster 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-3300 Llano ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 AMD Radeon HD 6410D G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE Stock Windows XP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 275w APEX DM-318 Black Steel Micro ATX Logitech K400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #474 of 1592
just recieved my waterblock at work. people looking at me like im crazy. anyways. its strange, there is no thermal tape included. should just use some of the thermal paste I have at home? or should I get some thermal tape? or reuse the stock thermal tape im assuming is under my current heatsink.
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #475 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk1004 View Post

just recieved my waterblock at work. people looking at me like im crazy. anyways. its strange, there is no thermal tape included. should just use some of the thermal paste I have at home? or should I get some thermal tape? or reuse the stock thermal tape im assuming is under my current heatsink.

Don't use tim on vrm, ok on chipsets though. Use thermal pad (aka thermal tape). I bought some large sheets off ebay from china and they were very inexpensive for a huge sheet. That's strange that they didn't include them. I know koolance includes the pad with heatplates you buy for their vrm blocks.
post #476 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post

Don't use tim on vrm, ok on chipsets though. Use thermal pad (aka thermal tape). I bought some large sheets off ebay from china and they were very inexpensive for a huge sheet. That's strange that they didn't include them. I know koolance includes the pad with heatplates you buy for their vrm blocks.

ok will do. not much selection at my local microcenter. gonna pick up some StarTek thermal pads. cut them down to fit properly. quick question, with thermal pads, thinner is better correct?
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #477 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk1004 View Post

ok will do. not much selection at my local microcenter. gonna pick up some StarTek thermal pads. cut them down to fit properly. quick question, with thermal pads, thinner is better correct?

It really depends on the application. I have seen some blocks use 0.5mm and others 1.0mm or bigger. Contact the block manufacturer and they should tell you what size is appropriate thumb.gif
post #478 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post

It really depends on the application. I have seen some blocks use 0.5mm and others 1.0mm or bigger. Contact the block manufacturer and they should tell you what size is appropriate thumb.gif

I thought that was only for when there are different levels? meaning whats under the block is different heights. the block I recieved is completely flat. also the manufacturer is in germany. lol. I have no idea how to contact them. ill just slap these on and hope for the best.
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
mATX Overload
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k Asrock extreme4-M EVGA 690 GTX Hydrocopper Samsung low voltage 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Samsung Bluray Custom Waterloop for CPU/GPU Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
First 27' 2560x1440 Razer BlackWidow Seasonic 1250 Custom mATX Water Case 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steel Series Glass beyerdynamic mx300 Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #479 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk1004 View Post

I thought that was only for when there are different levels? meaning whats under the block is different heights. the block I recieved is completely flat. also the manufacturer is in germany. lol. I have no idea how to contact them. ill just slap these on and hope for the best.

I would go with 0.5mm or 1.0mm. Just don't over tighten the block or you can brake the pad (mainly the 0.5mm).
post #480 of 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk1004 View Post

just recieved my waterblock at work. people looking at me like im crazy.

What does this waterblock look like? ...And out of curiosity, where do you work? smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock X79 Discussion & Owners Club