Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Yamakasi Catleap Monitor Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamakasi Catleap Monitor Club - Page 779

post #7781 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Can anyone tell me if its possible to use a DP to DVI cable for these screens with an HD7970? I got one from monoprice but when I hook it up I just get the flashing green light. I'm so tired of this, the money I saved by buying a "cheap" 7970 I've spent twice over in cables trying to get this to work right.. nearly $150 worth. mad.gif

Hello Scorpion39 - sorry to hear about that. Yes, you can use DP to DVI, it just needs to be an ACTIVE adapter.

Here is the only I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856WJH8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have three of them for my catleaps that I use on my MSI Lightning 7970s. If you look a few posts up, you will see all three of my monitors on the triple stand.

Hope this helps you! thumb.gif
post #7782 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyp View Post

Hello Scorpion39 - sorry to hear about that. Yes, you can use DP to DVI, it just needs to be an ACTIVE adapter.
Here is the only I am using:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856WJH8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I have three of them for my catleaps that I use on my MSI Lightning 7970s. If you look a few posts up, you will see all three of my monitors on the triple stand.
Hope this helps you! thumb.gif

Hmm, I'm not using an adapter at all, I guess thats where I got confused. My cable has a DP on one side and DVI on the other. I thought it might work without having to have an active adapter, but if it doesn't then what is the point of such a cable in the first place?
post #7783 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

Edit:
On another note! I have good news guys! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586
The new version of my GPU comes with a second D-DVI port unlike the first release ones. So now I can CF the two and have enough ports to attach another two monitors. The only problem I face now is that my water block for my GPU will either not match, or I will have to wait for Swiftech to make an updated version for non-reference PCBs.

According to the website that card only has one dual link dvi.
Yeah... I'm not sure by newegg anyways. Their picture shows a 5 ports but the website says 4. I honestly think they changed the picture to a 7870 which I know has 4 ports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Can anyone tell me if its possible to use a DP to DVI cable for these screens with an HD7970? I got one from monoprice but when I hook it up I just get the flashing green light. I'm so tired of this, the money I saved by buying a "cheap" 7970 I've spent twice over in cables trying to get this to work right.. nearly $150 worth. mad.gif

No worries. I spent 520 on my card for it to drop to 470 a few weeks later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyp View Post

Hello Scorpion39 - sorry to hear about that. Yes, you can use DP to DVI, it just needs to be an ACTIVE adapter.
Here is the only I am using:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856WJH8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I have three of them for my catleaps that I use on my MSI Lightning 7970s. If you look a few posts up, you will see all three of my monitors on the triple stand.
Hope this helps you! thumb.gif

Hmm, I'm not using an adapter at all, I guess thats where I got confused. My cable has a DP on one side and DVI on the other. I thought it might work without having to have an active adapter, but if it doesn't then what is the point of such a cable in the first place?

You got me there.
Project DayZ
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770k G1.Sniper 3 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series Mushkin DDR3 1600Hz Blackline Samsung F3 Spin point Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
ASUS Windows 7 Ultimate Catleap Q270 ASUS 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine II Brown MX / Orange LED 1000W Seasonic Platinum NZXT Switch 810 Gigabyte Krypton 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Mionix Propus 380 Creative Sound Blast Titanium X-Fi HD Mayhem's DT5Noz CPU Block Scythe Kaze Master Pro Fan Controller 
OtherOtherOtherOther
MDPC-X Sleeving Kit. (Green and Black sleeving) Custom Parts Everywhere Other - Tons of misc items. Objective 2 Amp from JDSLabs 
OtherOtherOtherOther
AKG Q701 2 7970 Swiftech Komodo GPU Blocks Customer Made FrozenQ Reservoir Hardware Labs 420 GT Stealth Radiator 
OtherOtherOther
Alphacool 480.86mm NexXxos Monsta Radiator Alphacool Full VPP655 Pump Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-2550k z77 mpower msi 770 lightning msi 770 lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital VelociRaptor Samsung 830 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG UH12nS29 Blu-Ray Reader Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 240mm Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Edition - ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 - Full Clear A... Alphacool VPP655 (Laing D5) - With D5 High Flow... EK-FC680 GTX Lightning - Acetal + Nickel EK-FC680 GTX Lightning - Acetal + Nickel 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W Silverstone TJ07 ASUS Xonar Essence STX Cougar Vortex 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex 
  hide details  
Reply
Project DayZ
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770k G1.Sniper 3 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series Mushkin DDR3 1600Hz Blackline Samsung F3 Spin point Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
ASUS Windows 7 Ultimate Catleap Q270 ASUS 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine II Brown MX / Orange LED 1000W Seasonic Platinum NZXT Switch 810 Gigabyte Krypton 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Mionix Propus 380 Creative Sound Blast Titanium X-Fi HD Mayhem's DT5Noz CPU Block Scythe Kaze Master Pro Fan Controller 
OtherOtherOtherOther
MDPC-X Sleeving Kit. (Green and Black sleeving) Custom Parts Everywhere Other - Tons of misc items. Objective 2 Amp from JDSLabs 
OtherOtherOtherOther
AKG Q701 2 7970 Swiftech Komodo GPU Blocks Customer Made FrozenQ Reservoir Hardware Labs 420 GT Stealth Radiator 
OtherOtherOther
Alphacool 480.86mm NexXxos Monsta Radiator Alphacool Full VPP655 Pump Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-2550k z77 mpower msi 770 lightning msi 770 lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital VelociRaptor Samsung 830 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG UH12nS29 Blu-Ray Reader Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 240mm Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Edition - ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 - Full Clear A... Alphacool VPP655 (Laing D5) - With D5 High Flow... EK-FC680 GTX Lightning - Acetal + Nickel EK-FC680 GTX Lightning - Acetal + Nickel 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W Silverstone TJ07 ASUS Xonar Essence STX Cougar Vortex 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex Cougar Vortex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7784 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Hmm, I'm not using an adapter at all, I guess thats where I got confused. My cable has a DP on one side and DVI on the other. I thought it might work without having to have an active adapter, but if it doesn't then what is the point of such a cable in the first place?

To put it simply any kind of connection that does not require dual link dvi...

The problem is that at such a high resolution single link dvi is not capable of the bandwidth required. So an active adapter is required to take the single channel source(dp) into dual channel output.

You can run lower resolutions with a dp-dvi cord up to 1920x1200 i believe. I don't remember the exact limitation of single link off hand but regardless non active adapter/cords have their place
post #7785 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatoucher View Post

To put it simply any kind of connection that does not require dual link dvi...
The problem is that at such a high resolution single link dvi is not capable of the bandwidth required. So an active adapter is required to take the single channel source(dp) into dual channel output.
You can run lower resolutions with a dp-dvi cord up to 1920x1200 i believe. I don't remember the exact limitation of single link off hand but regardless non active adapter/cords have their place

Yeah, I guess. I'm not throwing any more money at this POS Asus 7970 though, the guy who I got it from said he will take it back and refund me. I'm about to go buy a GTX something, whatever is in stock at the local Fry's. Not going to take ANY chances with another failure of an AMD card (this is my second 7970 in a month that has had significant issues).
post #7786 of 10249
Not sure if anybody had this problem before, this thread is rather long now and searching I couldn't find anything

I basically got one of these yamakasi 27" screens from BCC, I think I got a new model, it's called Precision 2703. The problem I have is that the screen is blank while everything else appears to be working. The power brick is on, the power led (it's blue on this model) is solid blue, Windows detects the monitor at the proper resolution,although without a name (just says DVI), but the screen remains dead black.

I'm using the cable that came with the monitor, it appears to be decent quality and unfortunately I don't have a second cable around to test. But given that Windows detects the monitor, it's unlikely the cable is the problem. I tried 2 other video cards (I have a GTX670 and I tried a 7950 and a 6450 from AMD) and I get the same problem.

At this point, I'm pretty sure the monitor is DOA, but I'd rather avoid dealing with returns and such if the problem is something minor that could be easily fixed ... Plus, I sent them two emails already and it's been 2 days and I got no answers yet.

Anybody has any ideas?

thanks
post #7787 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post

Not sure if anybody had this problem before, this thread is rather long now and searching I couldn't find anything
I basically got one of these yamakasi 27" screens from BCC, I think I got a new model, it's called Precision 2703. The problem I have is that the screen is blank while everything else appears to be working. The power brick is on, the power led (it's blue on this model) is solid blue, Windows detects the monitor at the proper resolution,although without a name (just says DVI), but the screen remains dead black.
I'm using the cable that came with the monitor, it appears to be decent quality and unfortunately I don't have a second cable around to test. But given that Windows detects the monitor, it's unlikely the cable is the problem. I tried 2 other video cards (I have a GTX670 and I tried a 7950 and a 6450 from AMD) and I get the same problem.
At this point, I'm pretty sure the monitor is DOA, but I'd rather avoid dealing with returns and such if the problem is something minor that could be easily fixed ... Plus, I sent them two emails already and it's been 2 days and I got no answers yet.
Anybody has any ideas?
thanks

That's definitely a cable problem. Try a new one, and if not pull it apart and the ribbon cables inside might be disconnected. Obviously everything is fine in the line except for the monitor or cable.
post #7788 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

That's definitely a cable problem. Try a new one, and if not pull it apart and the ribbon cables inside might be disconnected. Obviously everything is fine in the line except for the monitor or cable.
It definitely looks like something disconnected, I'm just concerned that if I open it up, the seller may complain and not accept it back in case it really is DOA ... I guess I'll try a new cable first, but if the cable was wrong, I should be getting at least something. Even without a cable, a powered on monitor has some minimal lighting, while this on is dark as a powered off device, even at night in a dark room, there's no light whatsoever (outside of the power led ...).
post #7789 of 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post

It definitely looks like something disconnected, I'm just concerned that if I open it up, the seller may complain and not accept it back in case it really is DOA ... I guess I'll try a new cable first, but if the cable was wrong, I should be getting at least something. Even without a cable, a powered on monitor has some minimal lighting, while this on is dark as a powered off device, even at night in a dark room, there's no light whatsoever (outside of the power led ...).

You're right about the DOA replacement. Try a new cable before popping it open.
post #7790 of 10249
So the q270 catleap from BCC seems to be the one of choice then? Sounds like the pixel perfect guarantee ones might be worth it. Would an overclocked gtx 670 be enough to game on this bad boy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Yamakasi Catleap Monitor Club