Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Blogger] Day One Disappointment: Where does DLC come from?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Blogger] Day One Disappointment: Where does DLC come from? - Page 18  

post #171 of 184
Your whole post is a spoiler
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDessica View Post

Well I provided one a couple pages back about the DLC but let me tell you WHY I feel like the last 10 minutes ruined what could have easily been the greatest end to one of the best series of video games ever.
They introduced a Deus Ex Machina to end a trilogy that was centered predominantly on making choices, and those choices leading to lasting impact. Instead, what we got was this "God"/AI where it directs Shepard to screw everyone over no matter the choice. In Mass Effect 1 & 2, our choices actually influenced the ending. In Mass Effect 3, it didn't even close the franchise, it just brought a contrived end to the war to end all wars all without even allowing us to see where our Shepard's path impacted an entire inter-galactic war.

I will completely agree that the ending wasn't good. Everyone is raging about the ending kinda like they did about the ending to the new Deus Ex but I'm much less mad. Disappointed?! Yes. Mad? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDessica View Post

We don't get to see what happened to the Krogan. Or how the Quarian and Geth got along after ending a 300+ year war. The clean-up after everyone on the space-citadel was outright slaughtered. What about destroying the Mass-Relay points? The quarian can't rebuild with no access to supplies. The Krogan will essentially die out with no access to scientist to help clean Tuchanka's atmosphere. What the hell happened to Shepard? Did they not realize by destroying the only link for planetary transport they're going to slowly kill off every species anyway? Let's not forget that machines which traveled billions of lightyears away just came to wreck our galaxy and we don't even know what happened to them. You don't really go about rebuilding galactic civilization with no access to resources. The list will go on and on and on.
There isn't any closure and it's just lazy. Nothing about any ending seems right and nearly everyone has come to a conclusion that we feel like we wasted our time. I know the underlying story is about sacrifice, the importance friends and reliable allies, the overall journey of HOW we got there, But what Bioware did was well beyond a slap in the face. I know writing in video-games isn't exactly going to be stacking up to Notes from Underground or War & Peace anytime soon and our Fallout 2, Planescape Torments and Silent Hill 2's are few and far between. But when you manage to have people on board that were penning some great books and veteran writers it REALLY makes you wonder how the hell those endings happened.
And I really hate to say this but I really swear that Mass Effect IS the Matrix of video games. Amazing first outing, a mixed but still great second outing, and a third out that was better than the second till you get till the last 10 minutes and you feel like you wasted your time watching these films. The writing, the gameplay, the set pieces and art direction were all improved over the original to a great degree but there is no way you can somehow justify what they did to completely sour the experience for nearly everyone. Even their forum that's usually reserved for brainwashed drones that once agreed that if Bioware made access to their games locked behind a yearly fee they'd pay are now in a general agreement that Bioware completely ruined the series for nearly everyone!

I agree with most everything you said about the ending but the impact to me isn't nearly as strong. I think part of the reason for the rage is that it's a bad ending for what has been a godly series. I completely get that but I still am able to judge the game based on its own merits. Maybe it's because, to me, while it's been one of the most enjoyable series I've ever played and the lore just draws me in, it's still just a game to me. I think to many, this game was something more. I think it was on the verge of Star Trek/Star Wars status in terms of emotional investment.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 3/12/12 at 12:41am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #172 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

I agree with most everything you said about the ending but the impact to me isn't nearly as strong. I think part of the reason for the rage is that it's a bad ending for what has been a godly series. I completely get that but I still am able to judge the game based on its own merits. Maybe it's because, to me, while it's been one of the most enjoyable series I've ever played and the lore just draws me in, it's still just a game to me. I think to many, this game was something more. I think it was on the verge of Star Trek/Star Wars status in terms of emotional investment.

I am judging the game by its own merits, I thought its linearity, lack of exploration and repetitive combat was boring, the only reason I kept going like I said before I beat the game was because of the dialog options and the story. However the end of the game even screwed that up. So now the game has no redeeming qualities. Perhaps if they put more time into the SP and the ending instead of the stupid MP the game wouldnt have been as bad or short 30 hours to do everything? come on.

Also only the main story missions had unique scenery and it was usually some linear level with a cool background. Whatever few sidequests there were had some generic corridor level just like ME1, however at least ME1 had more of em. Or sometimes open combat with the mako
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
post #173 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post

I am judging the game by its own merits, I thought its linearity, lack of exploration and repetitive combat was boring, the only reason I kept going like I said before I beat the game was because of the dialog options and the story. However the end of the game even screwed that up. So now the game has no redeeming qualities. Perhaps if they put more time into the SP and the ending instead of the stupid MP the game wouldnt have been as bad or short 30 hours to do everything? come on.

I don't feel that it's linear, as I can pick any place in the Milky Way to go to whenever I was between missions. However I agree that there isn't much exploration, as you cannot go back to many places you've finished, or go down to planets before there is some mission to do there.
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
post #174 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post

I am judging the game by its own merits, I thought its linearity, lack of exploration and repetitive combat was boring, the only reason I kept going like I said before I beat the game was because of the dialog options and the story. However the end of the game even screwed that up. So now the game has no redeeming qualities. Perhaps if they put more time into the SP and the ending instead of the stupid MP the game wouldnt have been as bad or short 30 hours to do everything? come on.
Also only the main story missions had unique scenery and it was usually some linear level with a cool background. Whatever few sidequests there were had some generic corridor level just like ME1, however at least ME1 had more of em. Or sometimes open combat with the mako

ME 3 was just as linear and had the same combat that the 1st and 2nd did so I don't understand your point.can you give examples of those 2 that wouldn't be true of 1 or 2? The only change is that the action is more fluid now.

Lol and no the side missions were not even close to ME 1 and its not even debatable. Again, ME 1 had1 ship map for something like 10-20 missions where the only difference was the arrangement of boxes in the main cargo hold and the enemies you faced.
The there were 3 types of bunkers for something like 40 missions where the layout was the exact same. They consisted of the above ground bunker with a 2nd story balcony, an underground that resembled a T and the cave bunker.
ME 2&3 had uniquely mapped sidequests every time.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #175 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

All i get from this is that you refuse to state any valid reason to hate the game.

I already stated them my reasons, but there are many reasons and I don't feel like writing pages upon pages expanding on every reason.
Quote:
I have asked at least 3 times and all you tell me is 'go back and look at my posts' or 'go to metacritic'.

Yes I did say that.
Quote:
If you knew anything about the game you were hating you could easily TELL me what you disliked about it.

I already told you why I didn't like the game.
Quote:
Even if you didn't want to type it out again, you could easily provide a link to the post where you did.
Until you can tell us why you dislike the game beyond it having a Day-1 dlc, which lordikon already explained to you, there's no reason to repeat this convo, ad nauseam.

Why should I provide you with a link when you can just as easily go to metacritic or read my previous posts.

Again, lordikon's explanation was insufficient because not all developers operate like EA by offering day 1 DLC and such. Barriers exist for all developers, some developers choose to overcome these barriers by offering content complete games, others like EA choose to complete the game with DLC.

Anyway I guess I should congratulate you for getting through an entire post without resorting to personal attacks.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
post #176 of 184
Two days and ten pages later you gentleman are still at it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
post #177 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

ME 3 was just as linear and had the same combat that the 1st and 2nd did so I don't understand your point.can you give examples of those 2 that wouldn't be true of 1 or 2? The only change is that the action is more fluid now.
Lol and no the side missions were not even close to ME 1 and its not even debatable. Again, ME 1 had1 ship map for something like 10-20 missions where the only difference was the arrangement of boxes in the main cargo hold and the enemies you faced.
The there were 3 types of bunkers for something like 40 missions where the layout was the exact same. They consisted of the above ground bunker with a 2nd story balcony, an underground that resembled a T and the cave bunker.
ME 2&3 had uniquely mapped sidequests every time.

LOL the sidequests are not debatable? I don't really care about your OPINION, you have your thoughts and I have mine. The sidequests in masseffect 3 are terrible they are just a linear cerberus corridor, do you not remember the cerberus fighter base? or the narrow walkways for the communication hub, you can see them again in MP if you want lol. At least in ME1 there was outside fighting in the mako and then fighting inside the facility itself. I even remember one sidequest where u had to kill some criminal kingpin, where u fought in the mako outside the facility, fought through it and then exited on some other side of the planet and were outside again where the kingpin and his bodyguards were sniping u from some serious range. The sidequests in ME3 are just the white cerberus hallways or the rusty brown tuchanka hallways and ramps, I do not know of these uniquely mapped places you speak of. Please give me an example?
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
post #178 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

All i get from this is that you refuse to state any valid reason to hate the game.
I already stated them my reasons, but there are many reasons and I don't feel like writing pages upon pages expanding on every reason.
Quote:
I have asked at least 3 times and all you tell me is 'go back and look at my posts' or 'go to metacritic'.
Yes I did say that.
Quote:
If you knew anything about the game you were hating you could easily TELL me what you disliked about it.
I already told you why I didn't like the game.
Quote:
Even if you didn't want to type it out again, you could easily provide a link to the post where you did.
Until you can tell us why you dislike the game beyond it having a Day-1 dlc, which lordikon already explained to you, there's no reason to repeat this convo, ad nauseam.
Why should I provide you with a link when you can just as easily go to metacritic or read my previous posts.
Again, lordikon's explanation was insufficient because not all developers operate like EA by offering day 1 DLC and such. Barriers exist for all developers, some developers choose to overcome these barriers by offering content complete games, others like EA choose to complete the game with DLC.
Anyway I guess I should congratulate you for getting through an entire post without resorting to personal attacks.

You've taken more time to try and avoid answering my questions than it would have taken to answer them so I guess we're at an impass. You want me to read through 17 pages to find out specifics of why you don't like the game and I want you to tell me or provide a link to where you did. At this point you're just playing kid games.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #179 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post

LOL the sidequests are not debatable? I don't really care about your OPINION, you have your thoughts and I have mine. The sidequests in masseffect 3 are terrible they are just a linear cerberus corridor, do you not remember the cerberus fighter base? or the narrow walkways for the communication hub, you can see them again in MP if you want lol. At least in ME1 there was outside fighting in the mako and then fighting inside the facility itself. I even remember one sidequest where u had to kill some criminal kingpin, where u fought in the mako outside the facility, fought through it and then exited on some other side of the planet and were outside again where the kingpin and his bodyguards were sniping u from some serious range. The sidequests in ME3 are just the white cerberus hallways or the rusty brown tuchanka hallways and ramps, I do not know of these uniquely mapped places you speak of. Please give me an example?
There are no re-used maps in ME3 (that I'm aware of, unless you count multiplayer), there were an abundance of them in ME1. While ME1 did have some unique side quest environments, many of them were copy-pasted with boxes moved around (incidentally, one of the main complaints often levied against Dragon Age 2).

Also, all the maps in ME1 were linear in the exact same way as they are in ME3, what are you talking about there, the entirely faceless planets with exactly 3 points of interest (and if you're lucky a single not-entirely-pointless one)? Woo, I can drive around in any direction! And get nowhere... The mako sequences were some of the most complained about parts in the game (which is why they scrapped it in ME2/3).
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
post #180 of 184
On Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gamble 
Hi,

There has a been a lot of discussion this weekend about our DLC, and i just wanted to say a few things...

From Ashes is a 600 MB+ download with all new content, including the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with Javik, new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members. All of the above content was completed while the main game was in certification and are not available on the disc.

As stated previously, in order to seamlessly integrate Javik into the core campaign, certain framework elements and character models needed to be put on disc. We did something similar with Zaeed and Kasumi in Mass Effect 2.

Source
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Blogger] Day One Disappointment: Where does DLC come from?