Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Recommendations for CPU Cooler For Intel Core i7 920
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations for CPU Cooler For Intel Core i7 920

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys,

Im looking to start overclocking my system and want to replace my stock cooler for something that will be able to cool my CPU better. Can anyone recommend any good CPU coolers for around £20-£30?

I have been looking at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/3/freezer-13.html

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/4/freezer-7-pro-rev.-2.html?c=2181

Does anyone have any experience of using any of these?

Can provide system specs if needed

Thanks
Edited by karlywarly - 3/12/12 at 5:36am
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywarly View Post

Hi Guys,
Im looking to start overclocking my system and want to replace my stock cooler for something that will be able to cool my CPU better. Can anyone recommend any good CPU coolers for around £20-£30?
I have been looking at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/3/freezer-13.html
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/4/freezer-7-pro-rev.-2.html?c=2181
Does anyone have any experience of using any of these?
Can provide system specs if needed
Thanks

I7 920 puts out a lot of heat, and you'll need a GOOD cooler to get anywhere overclocking.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx
(section 3 is CPU coolers in the today only section)

Good option's according to price:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro (£22.20)
Cooler Master Hyper 412s (27.99) or V6GT (£29.99) or Hyper 612s (£32.39)
Thermalright True Spirit (£35.99)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced BK104 (£38.39)
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks willibj for your reply.

I think that maybe im being a bit naive on the amount i wish to spend on a decent CPU cooler.

I don't mind spending more if there are coolers out therew that are much better than some others.

I have been looking at some water cooling kits such as:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-kuhler-h2o-620-cpu-watercooler-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am2-2plus-am3-3plus

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-cooling-hydro-series-h60-high-performance-cpu-cooler-lga1156-1155-lga775-lga1366-am2-and-am3

Do you think these would be significantly better at cooling my CPU thus allowing me to overclock it more than an air cooler?
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywarly View Post

Thanks willibj for your reply.
I think that maybe im being a bit naive on the amount i wish to spend on a decent CPU cooler.
I don't mind spending more if there are coolers out therew that are much better than some others.
I have been looking at some water cooling kits such as:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-kuhler-h2o-620-cpu-watercooler-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am2-2plus-am3-3plus
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-cooling-hydro-series-h60-high-performance-cpu-cooler-lga1156-1155-lga775-lga1366-am2-and-am3
Do you think these would be significantly better at cooling my CPU thus allowing me to overclock it more than an air cooler?

no, high end air coolers beat these clc systems in case of noise/performance without any doubt.
the D14, the Siler Arrow, the Phantek for example are top notch (and of course there are some others)

if you like to go with water, then go with a real water cooling kit.
the xspc rasa kits are not that expensive and are kinda starter sets that you can also modify (changing the rad, pump etc..)
starts at 110$
Edited by justanewguy - 3/12/12 at 2:31pm
HAF silent-X
(18 items)
 
chargin ma lazor
(12 photos)
Nibble the World!
(1 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xtreme QX9770 @4GHz Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Sapphire HD 6970 2GB cooled by Alpenföhn Peter 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970 [for sale] 16GB Geil Value Plus DDR3 @1600Mhz Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Archon PP 2x TY-140 Win7 x64 Enterprise Sony 42" LED Backlight LCD TV 1080p HD+ Seasonic M12D 850W 80+ Gold 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF-X Scythe Kaze Master 
  hide details  
Reply
HAF silent-X
(18 items)
 
chargin ma lazor
(12 photos)
Nibble the World!
(1 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xtreme QX9770 @4GHz Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Sapphire HD 6970 2GB cooled by Alpenföhn Peter 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970 [for sale] 16GB Geil Value Plus DDR3 @1600Mhz Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Archon PP 2x TY-140 Win7 x64 Enterprise Sony 42" LED Backlight LCD TV 1080p HD+ Seasonic M12D 850W 80+ Gold 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF-X Scythe Kaze Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post

no, high end air coolers beat these clc systems in case of noise/performance without any doubt.
the D14, the Siler Arrow, the Phantek for example are top notch (and of course there are some others)
if you like to go with water, then go with a real water cooling kit.
the xspc rasa kits are not that expensive and are kinda starter sets that you can also modify (changing the rad, pump etc..)
starts at 110$

this and

on topic
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9900-NT-CPU-Cooler/dp/B002F56QVK/ref=sr_1_58?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1331596712&sr=1-58
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Mugen-CPU-Cooler-Processor/dp/B002SCPH9W/ref=sr_1_52?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1331596712&sr=1-52c
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
After some more research, I have been looking at the Noctua NH-D14 and this seems to be able to cope well with the heat the core i7 920 throws out when overclocking it.

Although the price is a little more than i would like to spend, it does seem a good choice due to the performance this gives.

Im now beginning to sway more towards this cooler and looking to purchase this in the next few days.
Edited by karlywarly - 3/13/12 at 11:49am
post #7 of 20
which is your case?
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Currently have a Sharkoon Rebel 9 economy version, link here

Im now beginning to wonder if it will actually fit inside the case with the cooler being so big so might have to get a new case as well.
Edited by karlywarly - 3/13/12 at 11:49am
post #9 of 20
and motherboard?
post #10 of 20
on that case wont fit

Compatibility:

Max. length graphics card 30 cm
Max. height CPU cooler 14 cm
Max. length PSU 29 cm

I have nh d14 and it´s 16cm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Recommendations for CPU Cooler For Intel Core i7 920