Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › First Timer Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Timer Question

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 
so earlier this year I bought my mom a laptop that she was in need of and she said she will pay me back. well the time has come (sooner than i though =P) and i plan on buying a SSD to give them a shot for my first build (unless by some miracle i end up winning the competition held on these forums heh). I do have a few questions I would like to ask though as I am one of those people that like to be fully prepared before they actually get down and dirty.

I do plan on doing a full clean installation of windows 7. so once i get it i will follow the guide by sean and go from there. I have a HDD holding windows 7 as of now and it has a few of my programs on there (SC2, skype, etc),

So a few of the questions that come to mind are

1. If i want to put some of the programs on the SSD will it be best just to reinstall onto the SSD rather than just copy and paste? (which i wouldn't mind as SC2 this time around has campaign and achievement files on their server so it will end up writing everything to the SSD in the end)

2. Now I have never had more than one storage drive in a computer so is there anything in particular i will have to do with the HDD i am using now to run the programs that are already stored onto it?

3. Will i have to go into the BIOS and set the boot order to read the SSD first? it will it automatically read that the SSD is the main drive i plan to boot from?

4. Because the HDD will have windows 7 on it still, is there a way to be able to clean all those files off of the hard drive but still be able to keep the music, pictures, and movies without having to just fully format the HDD? Would it be better just to format the HDD and reinstall everything again that i would like to keep on the HDD?

5. what about plug-ins for browsers and browsers themselves? is it best to make sure the browser is located on the SSD or the HDD? Is it possible to have the browser on the HDD and the plug-ins on the SSD and if so, is that optimal?

6. How exactly should i go about choosing which programs i would like on my SSD and which ones i would like on my HDD? I know games for sure will be on the SSD, but am i really going to need chat programs (skype) on my SSD?


sorry if these questions are "dumb" questions, my mind is just a little boggled from doing lots of research of choosing an SSD and how i going to set it all up once the time comes.

thanks all!
post #2 of 2
Quote:
1. If i want to put some of the programs on the SSD will it be best just to reinstall onto the SSD rather than just copy and paste? (which i wouldn't mind as SC2 this time around has campaign and achievement files on their server so it will end up writing everything to the SSD in the end)
Best to reinstall them to avoid unnecessary complications.
Quote:
2. Now I have never had more than one storage drive in a computer so is there anything in particular i will have to do with the HDD i am using now to run the programs that are already stored onto it?
Nope, you'll automatically get a 2nd drive listed under My Computer, just open that up and browse your files as you would normally would.
Quote:
3. Will i have to go into the BIOS and set the boot order to read the SSD first? it will it automatically read that the SSD is the main drive i plan to boot from?
Do this, disconnect your current HDD, plug in the SSD, install windows on it. Restart PC after windows is up and running, enter BIOS and setup boot order as SSD first. During startup you might be asked to choose between different OS's installed bla bla, choose the 1st option and your fresh windows installation should load up, if old one does then restart and choose the 2nd option.
When you finally log into the new windows, go to My Computer, open up your old HDD, and delete the 'Windows' folder.
Quote:
4. Because the HDD will have windows 7 on it still, is there a way to be able to clean all those files off of the hard drive but still be able to keep the music, pictures, and movies without having to just fully format the HDD? Would it be better just to format the HDD and reinstall everything again that i would like to keep on the HDD?
All your files and folders will be saved in the "Users" folder, and can be recovered later. If you are able to find enough space to backup all your stuff on a secondary HDD or flash drive or optical media, then I suggest you format the old HDD. If not then just leave it be and it'll be safe.
Quote:
5. what about plug-ins for browsers and browsers themselves? is it best to make sure the browser is located on the SSD or the HDD? Is it possible to have the browser on the HDD and the plug-ins on the SSD and if so, is that optimal?
Plugins will be saved where the browser is installed, and install your browsers on your SSD, they don't take up much space, also install all other programs you use everyday like Skype, MS Office etc on your SSD. That's the whole point of getting an SSD, to make your everyday life a little faster smile.gif
Quote:
6. How exactly should i go about choosing which programs i would like on my SSD and which ones i would like on my HDD? I know games for sure will be on the SSD, but am i really going to need chat programs (skype) on my SSD?
Probably answered this question above.

Good luck thumb.gif feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.
Edited by feltadox1337 - 3/13/12 at 2:36am
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › First Timer Question