Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [maximumpc] kim dotcom says many u.s. officials were part of megaupload
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[maximumpc] kim dotcom says many u.s. officials were part of megaupload - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

I don't know I've never done it... either way your analogy is broken because mail is private. Opening another persons mail is a federal offense. If spying on people's e-mail, downloads and uploads were a federal offense like it should be then it would be a fair comparison. I can copy movies or games on to a disc and send it via mail with no fear of prosecution.

No crap sherlock, so is your info on the internets. It's protected by the law. So now, do you arrest the mail carrier for carrying drugs, illegal copyrighted discs or not??????
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

I don't know I've never done it... either way your analogy is broken because mail is private. Opening another persons mail is a federal offense. If spying on people's e-mail, downloads and uploads were a federal offense like it should be then it would be a fair comparison. I can copy movies or games on to a disc and send it via mail with no fear of prosecution.

No it's pretty spot on. Technically your ISP can not view what you're downloading or uploading without legal documents from a court. And the mail carrier in this case, would be MegaUpload. And technically they are not allowed to view the files you upload because there is a thing called privacy. All users are entitled to it. So they literally have no way of knowing what get's uploaded to their site, and they aren't allowed to go around user by user and check each file or even query specifics. They have to rely on users to report the illegal stuff as they happen upon it. If the users don't flag stuff as innappropriate or copyright infringing, then nothing gets done. And there are rules that protect the file hosters from being responsible for the content of 3rd party uploaders.

So it's a horrid ultimatum. Either way, someone has to go down, and someones rights have to be violated. Who should it be?
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

I don't know I've never done it... either way your analogy is broken because mail is private. Opening another persons mail is a federal offense. If spying on people's e-mail, downloads and uploads were a federal offense like it should be then it would be a fair comparison. I can copy movies or games on to a disc and send it via mail with no fear of prosecution.

THIS

also, most of the time, what I've seen is split rar files, usually named an abbreviation of the real title, sometimes -release group name... and the only way to know what it really is, is thru the link on a different site which took you there. now say i put TNPG-se7en.rar01 thru TNPG-se7en.rar12 (This New Pirated Game) on Megaupload, and the only link to it on IllegalPirateCrap.com stating what it is... MU owners wouldn't even know what it is, only illegalpratecrap (not an actual website smile.gif ) people would know what is stored in those files. I know not all the cases are like this, but this is what I see a lot of when I'm web surfing.
K7 DREADNOUGHT
(22 items)
 
Melted
(22 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel core i7-920 Asus Rampage Gene Asus GTX 260 9 GB DDR3 Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2TB Hitachi SATA 7200RPM HD Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM HD Toshiba External 750 GB DVD-RW Drive 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
SpinQ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Acer 24" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa 500 Watt Asus CG-5290 Logitech Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Generic Black Mat 7.2 Surround Logitech Stereo Headset Logitech G13 Gamepad 
OtherOther
XBOX 360 for Windows Controller Genius MetalStrike Pro Joystick 
  hide details  
Reply
K7 DREADNOUGHT
(22 items)
 
Melted
(22 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel core i7-920 Asus Rampage Gene Asus GTX 260 9 GB DDR3 Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2TB Hitachi SATA 7200RPM HD Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM HD Toshiba External 750 GB DVD-RW Drive 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
SpinQ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Acer 24" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa 500 Watt Asus CG-5290 Logitech Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Generic Black Mat 7.2 Surround Logitech Stereo Headset Logitech G13 Gamepad 
OtherOther
XBOX 360 for Windows Controller Genius MetalStrike Pro Joystick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
I work in the Government, "I am working undercover," won't cut it.
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SE7EN- View Post

THIS
also, most of the time, what I've seen is split rar files, usually named an abbreviation of the real title, sometimes -release group name... and the only way to know what it really is, is thru the link on a different site which took you there. now say i put TNPG-se7en.rar01 thru TNPG-se7en.rar12 (This New Pirated Game) on Megaupload, and the only link to it on IllegalPirateCrap.com stating what it is... MU owners wouldn't even know what it is, only illegalpratecrap (not an actual website smile.gif ) people would know what is stored in those files. I know not all the cases are like this, but this is what I see a lot of when I'm web surfing.

And what grounds do you have to violate someones privacy based on the container's looks or name???? And if you are wrong, how much will you lose in a lawsuit for breach of privacy? You can't do it in postal mail and you can't do it with private data ion the internets either. Hell, it's time to post up pictures of my dog and name it battlefield3.1.rar now!!
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

No it's pretty spot on. Technically your ISP can not view what you're downloading or uploading without legal documents from a court. And the mail carrier in this case, would be MegaUpload. And technically they are not allowed to view the files you upload because there is a thing called privacy. All users are entitled to it. So they literally have no way of knowing what get's uploaded to their site, and they aren't allowed to go around user by user and check each file or even query specifics. They have to rely on users to report the illegal stuff as they happen upon it. If the users don't flag stuff as innappropriate or copyright infringing, then nothing gets done. And there are rules that protect the file hosters from being responsible for the content of 3rd party uploaders.
So it's a horrid ultimatum. Either way, someone has to go down, and someones rights have to be violated. Who should it be?

Why? Why should someone's right be violated? Why can't content providers stop relying on the feds to do their work? I can't open a jewelry stand and leave it unattended cry about when everything is gone and then get a public servant to stand watch, it would be my fault and that would be that. Digital content is a risk, it is insecure the moment they release it and in most cases long before then. Let them burn their money protecting it, if they can't and it fails? Well then just like all of the other billion failed companies out there they would have to move on.
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

Why? Why should someone's right be violated? Why can't content providers stop relying on the feds to do their work? I can't open a jewelry stand and leave it unattended cry about when everything is gone and then get a public servant to stand watch, it would be my fault and that would be that. Digital content is a risk, it is insecure the moment they release it and in most cases long before then. Let them burn their money protecting it, if they can't and it fails? Well then just like all of the other billion failed companies out there they would have to move on.

doh.gif

It's against the law to snoop on private data.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
I smell a locked political thread drum.gif
Blue Viper
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 MSI GTX 1060 6GB Armor G. Skill Rip Jaws 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB LG Optical Drive Hyper 212 EVO - NZXT FANS - Push/Pull Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 42 Inch TV 1080P 60Hz Microsoft ENERMAX NAXN82+ 650W  Cooler Master Haf 912 
MouseAudioOther
Logitech G502 Onboard 2 Mackie HR824 Studio Monitors Powered By Macki... 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Viper
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 MSI GTX 1060 6GB Armor G. Skill Rip Jaws 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB LG Optical Drive Hyper 212 EVO - NZXT FANS - Push/Pull Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 42 Inch TV 1080P 60Hz Microsoft ENERMAX NAXN82+ 650W  Cooler Master Haf 912 
MouseAudioOther
Logitech G502 Onboard 2 Mackie HR824 Studio Monitors Powered By Macki... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

When you send dope thru the mail, do the Feds go and bust the mail carrier or the USPS?

+1
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 680 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD WD Caviar Green XSPC RS240 Radiator  XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Single 5.25 Inch Bay UV Blue Acrylic Water... Windows 7 64 Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescre... RAZER Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX PRO 750 NZXT Phantom Razer  Razer 
OtherOtherOtherOther
EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal Laing DDC 3.2 PWM 18W Pump ( MCP35X ) EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ - Plexi 3x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Straight Compression Fit... 
OtherOtherOtherOther
3x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Rotary 90 Deg. Compressi... 5x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Rotary 45 Deg. Angled C... 20mm Spacer Adapter Male/Female - Black 30mm Spacer Adapter Male/Female - Matt Black 
Other
Tube FLX 1/2″ ID, 3/4″ OD (19/12.7mm) - 2m pack... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 680 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD WD Caviar Green XSPC RS240 Radiator  XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Single 5.25 Inch Bay UV Blue Acrylic Water... Windows 7 64 Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescre... RAZER Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX PRO 750 NZXT Phantom Razer  Razer 
OtherOtherOtherOther
EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal Laing DDC 3.2 PWM 18W Pump ( MCP35X ) EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ - Plexi 3x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Straight Compression Fit... 
OtherOtherOtherOther
3x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Rotary 90 Deg. Compressi... 5x - 3/8"ID - 1/2"OD Rotary 45 Deg. Angled C... 20mm Spacer Adapter Male/Female - Black 30mm Spacer Adapter Male/Female - Matt Black 
Other
Tube FLX 1/2″ ID, 3/4″ OD (19/12.7mm) - 2m pack... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [maximumpc] kim dotcom says many u.s. officials were part of megaupload