Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Buy Asus G53SX-XR1 or...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buy Asus G53SX-XR1 or...?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

I have the option of purchasing an Asus G53SX-XR1 ( i7 2630qm, GTX 560 etc ) or i could wait for the Ivy Bridge version of this PC.

Would it be worth the wait?
post #2 of 7
The G53 is a beast as is. If you wait for the next one, chances are likely it will have a Kepler GPU paired with it as well.

Worth it? Only time will tell.
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

The G53 is a beast as is. If you wait for the next one, chances are likely it will have a Kepler GPU paired with it as well.
Worth it? Only time will tell.


Yeah i guess that's true. I just don't want to get buyers remorse... I mean how much faster will Kepler Mobile be? 10%? I can live with that.
post #4 of 7
Doesn't the G53SX have the 128-bit 560M? :/

Kepler/IB system will be a lot better. What's 2 months, really? 40nm GPU are soo 2009, so to me if I didn't need something right now, waiting 2 months to have bleeding-edge tech instead of a 1-year-old CPU and graphics on a ~2.5 year old process size.. sounds like a good idea. What's the worst that happens? 660M is as fast as a 560M but uses 30% less power? Realistically it'll be more like 650M is at least close to 560M performance (maybe a little slower), and 660M is as fast as a 570M, and so on. And the IB mobile CPU clockspeeds are already released, 3.4ghz quad-core turbo sounds a lot better than 2.6 (or is it 2.8ghz) quad-core turbo from SB.


Lol if you think Kepler will only be 10% faster. The OCing is insane on 28nm, if nothing else. I'm not a big Nvidia fan but their graphics will bring it, and there's always the possibility that more laptop makers include Optimus on this round of laptops.
Edited by jrbroad77 - 3/13/12 at 9:24pm
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbroad77 View Post

Doesn't the G53SX have the 128-bit 560M? :/
Kepler/IB system will be a lot better. What's 2 months, really? 40nm GPU are soo 2009, so to me if I didn't need something right now, waiting 2 months to have bleeding-edge tech instead of a 1-year-old CPU and graphics on a ~2.5 year old process size.. sounds like a good idea. What's the worst that happens? 660M is as fast as a 560M but uses 30% less power? Realistically it'll be more like 650M is at least close to 560M performance (maybe a little slower), and 660M is as fast as a 570M, and so on. And the IB mobile CPU clockspeeds are already released, 3.4ghz quad-core turbo sounds a lot better than 2.6 (or is it 2.8ghz) quad-core turbo from SB.
Lol if you think Kepler will only be 10% faster. The OCing is insane on 28nm, if nothing else. I'm not a big Nvidia fan but their graphics will bring it, and there's always the possibility that more laptop makers include Optimus on this round of laptops.

Yeah i guess i'll just wait. I just HATE WAITING lol
post #6 of 7
I recently purchased a G53SX model and could not be happier.... well I had a moment where I contemplated a G74sx trade but am glad I did not. I am able to Max resolutions on all games I play and I swapped out a he'd for a sad and it is awesomely fast now
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool83 View Post

I recently purchased a G53SX model and could not be happier.... well I had a moment where I contemplated a G74sx trade but am glad I did not. I am able to Max resolutions on all games I play and I swapped out a he'd for a sad and it is awesomely fast now

It should be I swapped out a HDD for a SSD... sorry was typing on my cell phone at work. should proofread a bit more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Buy Asus G53SX-XR1 or...?