Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamepur] Fan filing FTC complaints against EA after Mass Effect 3 ending
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[gamepur] Fan filing FTC complaints against EA after Mass Effect 3 ending - Page 4

post #31 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaia_br View Post

I disagree with most.
I don't really get the "qq more" attitude around here.
Mass effect 3 is the last of a series of games that people followed for 5 years. That's a freaking lot. People enjoyed the plots, the npcs... that's what's awesome about videogames.
Then came that half-assed ending. It sucked. It was a huge disappointment.
I say, complain as loud as you can. That's your hobby, that was your time and money. Complaining may ensure a better attitude in the future.
I hated the ending. No, I didn't cry, screamed or threw anything at my monitor. No, it didn't ruin my day/weekend/week/month.
But, when I come into a videogame forum, I talk about.... videogames?
So I finished the game, came to the conclusion it sucked big time, complained and that's that. Life goes on.
Don't want to hear people complain? Don't go into the threads... or go cure cancer or something... (or fold while complaining... heck, whatever) biggrin.gif

What's to get? The adults around here dislike the 17 yr old neckbeards trying to misuse the legal system to satisfy their nerdrage.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Good lord.
It's things like this that make me hate the litigious nature of people here in the US. I sincerely hope this person is denied any such claim.
I never played the ME series, and I honestly have not followed the news about it. I don't know what was supposedly said about it pre-release, but no doubt whomever at EA/Bioware said things pre-release, it's under some sort of "unofficial" capacity, and I find it hard to believe that *nothing* that was said pre-release panned out in ME3.

Are there not multiple endings depending on how the user plays out?

I did not buy ME3 because I was weary of EA. I am really sad that they proved my bad thoughts of them right. This block of text I quoted proves your opinion as to the person should be denied this claim is unfounded. Opinions can be unfounded or not, this is true. But unfortunately it's not much beyond that. The Mass Effect series has fans as fanatic as star wars and star trek. People make full blown expensive costumes to wear to -cons and such. They make replica guns from the game. They discuss topics for weeks on end based on a few minutes or a glimpse of some in-game footage on what might be canon or at least suggested as such. Random, completely crazy stuff like that. If you actually read the link in the OP, the first post of the forum thread is a compilation of various Producers, developers and others who spoke for EA in various interviews. Interviews are ALWAYS filtered through marketing to make sure certain details aren't released, or to make sure the interviewer isn't going to ask questions that would deface the company or the product. Therefore, one could attribute the quotes in those interviews as 'official releases of information, thus representing EA' in the eye of the law...at least, I'm willing to bet a good lawyer could argue that point.

Several of the quotes have direct wording, stating the game will have multiple endings based on the choices you've made in the previous two games. Apparently, there is only one major ending clip and nothing in it is personalized or customized at all. I could be an infiltrator who saved an entire bug race whos queen telepathically controls her colony of millions of her kind. In a previous war according to game lore, several species had to cooperate to stem the tide of these vermin at one point...and after the war was over, the krogan race(the grunts used to fight the bugs) had to be attacked by a highly advanced genetic bio attack to make all but 1 in 50? or 1 in 100 impregnations fail to give birth. Because they were violent and could multiply fast enough to replace lost soldiers to face said bugs. So, super annoying, toxic acid spitting, space-surviving creatures possibly join in my character's battle to save earth. But your a soldier who killed the queen when given the chance because of what her race did in said previous war that was so talked up as horrible...but you get the same ending, even though your character has a significant less massive fighting force.

Each interaction your character has with certain influential characters across ME1 and ME2 should have dictated at least 5+ endings...2 good, 2 evil, 1 neutral; The possibility for upwards of 20 is possible with all the various interactions you can do between ME1 and ME2. What players got however, is one generic ending. One. What if Luke stayed to finish jedi training with Yoda? Maybe he would be so enlightened like the jedi of old to leave han solo to his own devices, forever encased in carbonite. He might never have truly 'known' his father because he would have become much more powerful and killed darth vader and the emperor without a struggle which reveals the passionate bond of father and son at the very end. How many star wars fanatics do you know would love to debate how many different things would have changed in the story if only that one situation was changed? It's like that. Any numerous outcomes imaginable for ME3, and we get one.

If the FTC is in place to protect civilians from false advertising of products of all shapes and sizes, and a product is advertised to have certain features or claims to be capable of certain tasks, should we not be allowed to get our money back if that product fails? should we not be allowed to force the company into rectifying the situation somehow, in a reasonable manner debated in a court room? How does a video game differ from another product? Perhaps you would say it is purely entertainment and no claims by the company could be solid enough because everyone reads a story a different way; these developers are clearly, word for word, quoted as saying the game will have certain capabilities, which it does not. Unless each interview and/or quote can be tied with disclaimers saying the information divulged is not representative of Bioware or EA, then EA or Bioware are responsible for all such claims, IMO. While I agree the arguement over entertainment is less important than arguing over say, the claimed function of a device meant to save a life and then it not working as advertised, we should not allow a company to make false claims it cannot live up to or at least force said companies into certain restrictions of advertisement or face heavy fines.
Nexus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055t EO @3780mhz 1.38v Biostar TA890GXE Asus DirectCu TOP GTX 460 1gb 8gb G. Skill ripjaws 1600mhz @ 8-9-8-23 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Blue 500gb, Corsair F40 40gb SSD boot... Windows 7 x64 SP1 SeaSonic Breeze 520w Rosewill Challenger Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Nexus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055t EO @3780mhz 1.38v Biostar TA890GXE Asus DirectCu TOP GTX 460 1gb 8gb G. Skill ripjaws 1600mhz @ 8-9-8-23 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Blue 500gb, Corsair F40 40gb SSD boot... Windows 7 x64 SP1 SeaSonic Breeze 520w Rosewill Challenger Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 128
At least movie tickets only cost $12
post #34 of 128
I see nothing wrong with this if it is free to file a complaint. Just causes more bad publicity for Bioware which at least will vent some of our anger. Actually, it is not bad idea to troll them for such a bad ending...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The whole point of the mass effect series was to see the consequences of your decisions, and with three games worth of decisions, is it not fair that people expected various, distinct endings that had closure to the story? With the ending we got, all the game's decisions we made were thrown away and were given 3 "different" endings with the only the color of the energy shot from the catalyst being different. I condone the complaints completely.

Edited by Sanger Zonvolt - 3/18/12 at 9:43pm
Mecha Images
(8 photos)
  
Reply
Mecha Images
(8 photos)
  
Reply
post #35 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Good lord.
It's things like this that make me hate the litigious nature of people here in the US. I sincerely hope this person is denied any such claim.
I never played the ME series, and I honestly have not followed the news about it. I don't know what was supposedly said about it pre-release, but no doubt whomever at EA/Bioware said things pre-release, it's under some sort of "unofficial" capacity, and I find it hard to believe that *nothing* that was said pre-release panned out in ME3.
Suck it up and be an adult. Bought something you don't like? Think about that the next time you go out and buy something like a little sheeple.
Player reviews for ME3 seem overall positive. It seems like statements were made that are fluffy--could have meant anything. "Fans" seem most unhappy with how the game ended, and claim that the multiple endings "promised" (or rather alluded to) were not there--is that the case? Are there not multiple endings depending on how the user plays out?

Bro, you missed this :


Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post

This.
I also think a lot of you are completely overlooking the principle of the complaint. If you go to the source and RTFA, the very numerous quotes from EA and Bioware very clearly show that we were lied to in regards to the ending. It isn't about whether or not the ending was good or not (because I haven't even played it) but from what I understand about the ending, what EA and Bioware said about it (and the game as a whole) were lies.
Interesting article on the ending (SPOILERS):
http://bit.ly/xP85GK
If the article is right, the ending is absolutely brilliant and this is all part of the plan.



It's not about buying something and then found out you don't like it. It's about buying something and then found out it doesn't do what the guy in the TV ad said it will do

big difference here
new build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB G Skill 8G 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 850 evo SSD 1TB WD 500GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung 23" 1920 x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower 650 CoolerMaster HAF 912 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
new build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB G Skill 8G 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 850 evo SSD 1TB WD 500GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung 23" 1920 x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower 650 CoolerMaster HAF 912 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 128
They took a game which was awesome in part to the fact that you could make choices that affected the game in noticeable ways, and boiled all those choices people had made in the previous games down to a single ending with different colors. Then they released the game, with launch day DLC, containing character who, to any one who played the past games, would have significant importance, and made us pay for it. Which was blatantly taking advantage of the consumer. The prothian character didn't have a major role in the ME3 single player, though it should have especially if it took so much development time that they could justify charging us for it. But it turned out it was just another way for them to squeeze more money out of us. Imo, this has more to do with EA taking advantage of consumers time and time again, and the horrible ending in ME3 is a great example of it.

And the so called 'adults' that don't like 17 year old kids taking advantage of the legal system, I highly doubt that you have a clue as to how the legal system works, because a petition is in no way taking advantage of the legal system. That is such a lame and poorly thought argument. How on earth is using our rights taking advantage of anything?!
post #37 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaia_br View Post

I disagree with most.
I don't really get the "qq more" attitude around here.
Mass effect 3 is the last of a series of games that people followed for 5 years. That's a freaking lot. People enjoyed the plots, the npcs... that's what's awesome about videogames.
Then came that half-assed ending. It sucked. It was a huge disappointment.
I say, complain as loud as you can. That's your hobby, that was your time and money. Complaining may ensure a better attitude in the future.
I hated the ending. No, I didn't cry, screamed or threw anything at my monitor. No, it didn't ruin my day/weekend/week/month.
But, when I come into a videogame forum, I talk about.... videogames?
So I finished the game, came to the conclusion it sucked big time, complained and that's that. Life goes on.
Don't want to hear people complain? Don't go into the threads... or go cure cancer or something... (or fold while complaining... heck, whatever) biggrin.gif

What's to get? The adults around here dislike the 17 yr old neckbeards trying to misuse the legal system to satisfy their nerdrage.

Broken promisses made by big companies are NOT something to be taken lightly. you talk about the legal system, but I think you should consider consumer rights more carefully.

Or are you saying only critical services (health, education, security) are worth fighting for?

If you're not going to deliver, don't mmake a promisse. Don't make fans buy 3 products and then just say: "ha, suck it, it's just a game".

On a sidenote, nerds insulting nerds is such an intriguing fenomena: "OMG I disagree with you so you must be a 17 and a bum". The maturity is strong with this one.

OCN is becoming quuite tiresome lately. The sheer ammount of disrespect when facing different opinions is rampant here. /rant
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz (undervolted) ASUS Sabertooth x79 HIS HD7970 4x4g G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
x2 SSD Corsair F3 (2x 120g) crucial m4 ssd (256g - steam) toshiba external usb 3.0 generic dvd r/w 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 windows 8 pro + start button + no metro DELL UltraSharp U2212HM leadership gamer 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
corsair ax1200 aerocool bx-500 evil black ed. C3 ares x-fi titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz (undervolted) ASUS Sabertooth x79 HIS HD7970 4x4g G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
x2 SSD Corsair F3 (2x 120g) crucial m4 ssd (256g - steam) toshiba external usb 3.0 generic dvd r/w 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 windows 8 pro + start button + no metro DELL UltraSharp U2212HM leadership gamer 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
corsair ax1200 aerocool bx-500 evil black ed. C3 ares x-fi titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

So... when's Microsoft getting sued because Halo 3 didn't "Finish the Fight?"

I see what you did there..
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirXIII View Post

Several of the quotes have direct wording, stating the game will have multiple endings based on the choices you've made in the previous two games. Apparently, there is only one major ending clip and nothing in it is personalized or customized at all. ...snip...
Each interaction your character has with certain influential characters across ME1 and ME2 should have dictated at least 5+ endings...2 good, 2 evil, 1 neutral; The possibility for upwards of 20 is possible with all the various interactions you can do between ME1 and ME2. What players got however, is one generic ending. One.

One generic ending, with how many sub-plots? You can't state (at least not in terms that would hold up in a legal complaint to the FTC) that if there are, indeed, three discrete endings to the game given how a user behaves, that there is only one ending. Are they all similar? Sure. Are they the same? No. Did Bioware imply otherwise? Perhaps, but they didn't literally state "ending A will be so much different from endings B and C" so on and so forth. In that case, what it comes down to is a discrepancy between user expectations and developer implementation. But it still can't literally be said that there is only one ending, because there isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisLam View Post

Bro, you missed this :
It's not about buying something and then found out you don't like it. It's about buying something and then found out it doesn't do what the guy in the TV ad said it will do
big difference here
I would refer to my response paragraph above--it's a discrepancy between user expectations and developer implementation. We think someone says something and take what they say in the spirit of what was said, and it could entirely turn out to be the literal version of what was said. I didn't see a whole lot of untruths in reading through the points that people are using as where EA/Bioware lied to them.

I think all of this complaining to the FTC is more because people are angry that portions of content to be addressed in DLC was actually integrated into the core game files, and they're trying to find a quasi-legit way to retaliate. At least that would be an easier battle to take on--because all of the complaining still comes down to trying to convince someone that your expectation of a product is what should be held against the developer of that product when there are no literal violations of what was said pre-release were made (again, to my feeble understanding, since I didn't play the game myself). Did they say things to make you think it may have been bigger/better than what you got? Perhaps. Was it actually lying? Not if you use the example of multiple endings, because there actually were multiple endings.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerrick View Post

While I agree that some fans are taking this to the extreme, they still make very valid points. A company, regardless if it is a video game or not, made exact and precise definitions on what the product would entail, and upon production, did not include any of it. Frankly I think we should give more power to them for sticking up for something they care strongly about. I just wish more people who create an uproar when the government destroys our rights.

This ^^^
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.01GHz EVGA SLI3 Sapphire R9 290 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
Crucuial M4 256GB Seagate 1TB ASUS VH232H 23" 1080p Corsair TX750 
Case
Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.01GHz EVGA SLI3 Sapphire R9 290 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
Crucuial M4 256GB Seagate 1TB ASUS VH232H 23" 1080p Corsair TX750 
Case
Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamepur] Fan filing FTC complaints against EA after Mass Effect 3 ending