Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Best 120hz monitor for gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best 120hz monitor for gaming? - Page 2

post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_Dave View Post

That is a very biased reply. Quoting opinions as facts...
I believe the Planar is the best matte finish 120Hz monitor. The BenQ is only "slightly" better with input lag by a couple of milliseconds. The Planar beats it in ghosting/crosstalk and image quality according to reviews.
From what I've read the Asus is the best glossy. There are no solid reviews on the Samsung panels that I know of.
Also, the Planar uses a Samsung panel with Planar firmware.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1220244/planar-sa2311w/

all opinions are bias...there is no best. my opinion is based on all my research on 120hz monitors...no it's not facts. but they are my facts for me - everything is subjective. i stand by my advice to OP.

You mentioned Planar is the best matted 120hz..and you own that same monitor...so perhaps you are biased as well? If you need reviews on why I believe Samsung 7500D/7500D or the BenQ 2420 are the overall 2 best 120hz monitors...I can provide you with many reviews (like post above) and threads...but my post was meant to be given as advice..not the truth for everyone...

That being said...I used to recommend the Planar all the time for matted users...im sure the Planar is still very good..and yes, it could be better...but from what I've read recently...most people have started to advice people to get the BenQ 2420 for matted users.

FYI - the Planar 2311W seems to be out of stock now a days...except at tigerdirect i think...
Edited by malikq86 - 3/20/12 at 4:55pm
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

all opinions are bias...there is no best. my opinion is based on all my research on 120hz monitors...no it's not facts. but they are my facts for me - everything is subjective. i stand by my advice to OP.

But you didn't say it was your opinion, belief, or advice. You simply stated they were the best. Which implies a fact, not an opinion. Had you worded it differently I wouldn't have even replied. I couldn't care less what monitor anyone owns. The OP can buy an Acer for all I care. What monitor they own has nothing to do with me. That's not what this was about.

I'm sorry I even clicked on this thread. These threads pop up a few times per week and I often just pass them up because it's like beating a dead horse. People need to learn to do their own research. I can probably find 10 of these threads within the last month and 5 different monitors would come out on top simply because of who chooses to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

You mentioned Planar is the best matted 120hz..and you own that same monitor...so perhaps you are biased as well? If you need reviews on why I believe Samsung 7500D/7500D or the BenQ 2420 are the overall 2 best 120hz monitors...I can provide you with many reviews (like post above) and threads...but my post was meant to be given as advice..not the truth for everyone...

That being said...I used to recommend the Planar all the time for matted users...im sure the Planar is still very good..and yes, it could be better...but from what I've read recently...most people have started to advice people to get the BenQ 2420 for matted users.

Yeah, I probably am a little biased. I also said it was my belief... i.e. opinion. I could've gotten any monitor on the market for the same price at the time (~$450). I chose what I did because of the research I did. Nobody recommended it to me in a thread like this. I looked at reviews for every single 120Hz monitor available and made my choice. I would make the same choice again even for the same price (they are cheaper now). This is the best monitor I've ever owned.

Edit: I missed the reviews posted by Biohazard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

FYI - the Planar 2311W seems to be out of stock now a days...except at tigerdirect i think...

It's only out of stock at Newegg for whatever reason. Even though it has a 5 egg rating... So I dunno why... There are a lot of other places to shop besides Newegg. I heard even Wal-mart carries them (go figure).
Edited by Phantom_Dave - 3/20/12 at 5:43pm
post #13 of 52
Samsung 750D monitor might not be the best, but it's definitely up there.

Here are some of my thoughts on my experience with this monitor.

- great looking modern design
- sturdy and solid feeling (the 27")
- colors pop (glossy)
- 120hz looks fluid and clear
- good enough viewing angles for TN

Games look REALLY GOOD on this thing (even windows desktop looks unbelievably clear). It can't be explained. It has to be experienced first hand. biggrin.gif

The monitor does have drawbacks and some issues.

- no dvi
- no vesa mounts
- no height adjust ability
- displayport problems (lost connection)
- strange translucent bar near the bottom of the screen?
- touch sensitive buttons aren't that great (sometimes need multiple presses to react)

I was kind of upset when I first received the monitor to find an imperfection in the bezel (covered now w/ black sharpie). But, I decided to keep it since the panel itself presented no dead pixels.

The displayport problem is the single biggest annoyance with it. I think it happens at least twice a day when I use the monitor and I've heard others complain about the same issue. It loses connection randomly and it doesn't matter what you're doing at the time.

I can't explain the white translucent bar near the bottom, but I've read on Amazon reviews that it's not just mine that has it. I usually forget it's there once I'm immersed in games and on the desktop it's less noticeable because of the taskbar and the type of background I use.

Overall, I still like it and enjoy using it despite the drawbacks and issues I found.

Hope this helps in your search!
post #14 of 52
yes perhaps "best" wasn't the best word of choice - i agree. but aren't all posts on forums bias/subjective/opinionated? isn't that a given. lol. What i meant was "best" for me. smile.gif
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4ze0ne View Post

Samsung 750D monitor might not be the best, but it's definitely up there.
Here are some of my thoughts on my experience with this monitor.
- great looking modern design
- sturdy and solid feeling (the 27")
- colors pop (glossy)
- 120hz looks fluid and clear
- good enough viewing angles for TN
Games look REALLY GOOD on this thing (even windows desktop looks unbelievably clear). It can't be explained. It has to be experienced first hand. biggrin.gif
The monitor does have drawbacks and some issues.
- no dvi
- no vesa mounts
- no height adjust ability
- displayport problems (lost connection)
- strange translucent bar near the bottom of the screen?
- touch sensitive buttons aren't that great (sometimes need multiple presses to react)
I was kind of upset when I first received the monitor to find an imperfection in the bezel (covered now w/ black sharpie). But, I decided to keep it since the panel itself presented no dead pixels.
The displayport problem is the single biggest annoyance with it. I think it happens at least twice a day when I use the monitor and I've heard others complain about the same issue. It loses connection randomly and it doesn't matter what you're doing at the time.
I can't explain the white translucent bar near the bottom, but I've read on Amazon reviews that it's not just mine that has it. I usually forget it's there once I'm immersed in games and on the desktop it's less noticeable because of the taskbar and the type of background I use.
Overall, I still like it and enjoy using it despite the drawbacks and issues I found.
Hope this helps in your search!

I own the same monitor and you pretty muched said the exact same thing about it I would. It is a really nice monitor op but I am not sure if they are still in production.
post #16 of 52
Amazon/Tigerdirect has the S23A700D for $312/$309 shipped right now. I'll be ordering the BenQ XL2420TX when that comes out on Fri to compare.

I'm staring @ a S23A950D right now and pretty sure the glossy screen gives me eye pain/headaches. But my concern w/ the BenQ is the lower than normal PWM's that might cause backlight flicker.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just wait around for something better...like an old school CCFL, IPS that does 120!
post #17 of 52
Thread Starter 
I decided to go with the BenQ xl2420t. It should be pretty nice! Thanks for input everyone, I really appreciate it. smile.gif
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 EVGA GTX 780ti G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 SSD Corsair HDD BenQ XL2420T x2 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Heroichi 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Rosewill Blackhawk Logitech G500 Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 EVGA GTX 780ti G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 SSD Corsair HDD BenQ XL2420T x2 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Heroichi 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Rosewill Blackhawk Logitech G500 Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Amazon/Tigerdirect has the S23A700D for $312/$309 shipped right now. I'll be ordering the BenQ XL2420TX when that comes out on Fri to compare.
I'm staring @ a S23A950D right now and pretty sure the glossy screen gives me eye pain/headaches. But my concern w/ the BenQ is the lower than normal PWM's that might cause backlight flicker.
Worse comes to worse, I'll just wait around for something better...like an old school CCFL, IPS that does 120!

you sure it's the gloss and not the brightness level that is giving you the headache? On default its set verryyy high. I used to buy matted...but from now on...I a glossy fan...the colors just seem to "pop" and are more vivid.
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart06 View Post

I decided to go with the BenQ xl2420t. It should be pretty nice! Thanks for input everyone, I really appreciate it. smile.gif

great choice smile.gif you wont regret it
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart06 View Post

I decided to go with the BenQ xl2420t. It should be pretty nice! Thanks for input everyone, I really appreciate it. smile.gif

Sweet! Where did you order from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Amazon/Tigerdirect has the S23A700D for $312/$309 shipped right now. I'll be ordering the BenQ XL2420TX when that comes out on Fri to compare.
I'm staring @ a S23A950D right now and pretty sure the glossy screen gives me eye pain/headaches. But my concern w/ the BenQ is the lower than normal PWM's that might cause backlight flicker.
Worse comes to worse, I'll just wait around for something better...like an old school CCFL, IPS that does 120!

you sure it's the gloss and not the brightness level that is giving you the headache? On default its set verryyy high. I used to buy matted...but from now on...I a glossy fan...the colors just seem to "pop" and are more vivid.

I've been switching back and forth between the S23A950D and a Dell 2007 WFP S-IPS for a bit now and although the Dell looks INCREDIBLY dirty right now, it definitely causes less eye strain. I have the brightness on the Samsung set to 25 w/ group view AND I'm using Desktop Lighter to further lower brightness in Windows. biggrin.gif I'm sure it's a combination of the disgusting TN, LED backlighting, and glossy panel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Best 120hz monitor for gaming?