Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Tablets › So I picked up a "new" iPad today..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So I picked up a "new" iPad today.. - Page 3

Poll Results: Shall I open it?

 
  • 51% (27)
    Yes
  • 48% (25)
    No - Sell it.
52 Total Votes  
post #21 of 29
I am not really an Apple fan by any means but the iPad does look like one of the best tablets on the market. Good hardware, I am a big fan of high resolution displays, and the iOS stuff seems to get the best apps sooner and more exclusive apps.

I think when I have the money I'll buy an iPad 3.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I mean, nice specs (2048x1536 is pretty damn good)..... in some areas.... and that's about it.
The UI of iOS is not nearly as intuitive, customizable and optimized as those of competitors (and I speak as a former iOS user on the Touch).  I also don't find there to be anything special about a 2048x1536 screen.  In fact, I find it redundant.  No media in the world today is any larger than a 1920x1080 resolution, for one.  For two, with 2048x1536, you get an annoying 4:3 screen.  You get annoying black bars every time you watch any sort of modern media.  The iPad is just not optimized for modern media, with its old 4:3 aspect ratio.

What essential apps exist in the app stores of Android OS and Windows Store provide the same functionality you could expect in the iOS version.  Really, the majority of iOS's extra apps are quite redundant - and some are not even existent except on other OS's.  I don't think I can find nearly as good a Japanese study tool as Obenkyo and I believe it only exists on the Android market.
Whilst 4:3 may not be great for movies, it's a great ratio for general use. With 4:3 the slate isn't too wide, or too tall, the dimensions are "just right". It does web browsing and reading well, games are good, and movies are okay. It's also the exact resolution for screen projectors, which I believe had a part in Apple's decision for 4:3, and specifically, 1024x768. It's an "all rounder", if you will.

That aside, it's only movies that can't fully benefit from the 2048x1536 resolution. Photos, games, web browsing, books, and all those things will really benefit from such a high pixel density.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Space heater!biggrin.gif

The OP is talking about an iPad, not a GTX 480 biggrin.gif

"Does the new iPad get warmer than the previous one? Absolutely. I would even go as far as to say that it can get uncomfortably warm..."

Capture-1.jpg

-Anandtech

OP: Have you opened it yet? I returned the Galaxy Nexus due to it getting too warm to handle. iPad looks nice, but this would be a deal breaker for me.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I wouldn't use one as my personal device.


I mean, nice specs (2048x1536 is pretty damn good)..... in some areas.... and that's about it.
The UI of iOS is not nearly as intuitive, customizable and optimized as those of competitors (and I speak as a former iOS user on the Touch).  I also don't find there to be anything special about a 2048x1536 screen.  In fact, I find it redundant.  No media in the world today is any larger than a 1920x1080 resolution, for one.  For two, with 2048x1536, you get an annoying 4:3 screen.  You get annoying black bars every time you watch any sort of modern media.  The iPad is just not optimized for modern media, with its old 4:3 aspect ratio.

What essential apps exist in the app stores of Android OS and Windows Store provide the same functionality you could expect in the iOS version.  Really, the majority of iOS's extra apps are quite redundant - and some are not even existent except on other OS's.  I don't think I can find nearly as good a Japanese study tool as Obenkyo and I believe it only exists on the Android market.

+reparoos. Good points.

I however think you should open it and try it out. See if you like it. I sure didn't. Then return it if you don't like it.
post #25 of 29
I would use it and enjoy it. I came from an original Asus Transformer and my iPad 3 is much more enjoyable to use due to it's increased speed and stability. I look forward to seeing other tablets with high resolution displays. My concern with the Transformer Infinity TF700 is that according to rumors the Wi-Fi version keeps the Tegra 3 and I don't know how well it's GPU will be up for the 1920x1200 resolution. The iPad 3 had to double it's GPU power and even the GPU in the iPad 2 is better than the one in Tegra 3. It should be interesting to see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

Whilst 4:3 may not be great for movies, it's a great ratio for general use. With 4:3 the slate isn't too wide, or too tall, the dimensions are "just right". It does web browsing and reading well, games are good, and movies are okay. It's also the exact resolution for screen projectors, which I believe had a part in Apple's decision for 4:3, and specifically, 1024x768. It's an "all rounder", if you will.
That aside, it's only movies that can't fully benefit from the 2048x1536 resolution. Photos, games, web browsing, books, and all those things will really benefit from such a high pixel density.
I originally thought the ancient 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad was silly but since buying one and trying it out, I agree with steelbom. As with many things it has a lot to do with personal taste but for me the iPad has a more natural shape. What do I mean by more natural shape? The 16:10 ratio of the Asus Transformer seems too wide and is kind of an awkward shape for a tablet. The iPad more closely resembles the shape of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper or a book. This makes the iPad perfect for reading a book or web page. Few web sites are designed to fully take advantage of a widescreen display. This likely has a lot to do with compatibility and with text heavy sites if the content is too wide we will have a hard time finding our place on the next line. Obviously a 4:3 ratio is not ideal for 1080P HD content but it still looks great with the Retina Display, and with a tablet that is so close to your face it's not a real problem for me.
Edited by Ben the OCer - 4/1/12 at 9:22pm
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the OCer View Post

I originally thought the ancient 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad was silly but since buying one and trying it out, I agree with steelbom. As with many things it has a lot to do with personal taste but for me the iPad has a more natural shape. What do I mean by more natural shape? The 16:10 ratio of the Asus Transformer seems too wide and is kind of an awkward shape for a tablet. The iPad more closely resembles the shape of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper or a book. This makes the iPad perfect for reading a book or web page. Few web sites are designed to fully take advantage of a widescreen display. This likely has a lot to do with compatibility and with text heavy sites if the content is too wide we will have a hard time finding our place on the next line. Obviously a 4:3 ratio is not ideal for 1080P HD content but it still looks great with the Retina Display, and with a tablet that is so close to your face it's not a real problem for me.

I think the 16:10 aspect ratio of the TF sucks. The only thing it's nice for is widescreen video content. Ergonomically, it sucks for everything else, and sometimes it's even too tall when holding it in portrait mode--for example, the commuter train I take to go to work, the seats are fairly close to one another, so it's fairly common for me to have to cram my TF in an awkward position if holding in portrait mode (reading a book, for example).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 29
Now if we could just get word wrap/text reflow...
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I wouldn't use one as my personal device.


I mean, nice specs (2048x1536 is pretty damn good)..... in some areas.... and that's about it.
The UI of iOS is not nearly as intuitive, customizable and optimized as those of competitors (and I speak as a former iOS user on the Touch).  I also don't find there to be anything special about a 2048x1536 screen.  In fact, I find it redundant.  No media in the world today is any larger than a 1920x1080 resolution, for one.  For two, with 2048x1536, you get an annoying 4:3 screen.  You get annoying black bars every time you watch any sort of modern media.  The iPad is just not optimized for modern media, with its old 4:3 aspect ratio.


What essential apps exist in the app stores of Android OS and Windows Store provide the same functionality you could expect in the iOS version.  Really, the majority of iOS's extra apps are quite redundant - and some are not even existent except on other OS's.  I don't think I can find nearly as good a Japanese study tool as Obenkyo and I believe it only exists on the Android market.

You sir have spoken my mind.

Sell it and wait for the Transformer tablet.
Trinity
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K Biostar Hi-Fi A85W APU Integrated Graphics G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64GB Western Digital WD Blue 500GB Lite-On iHAS124 CD/DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Pull Configuration) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blue (JIS l... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430 NZXT Source 220 Logitech Click! Mouse SteelSeries QcK Mini Diablo III Edition 
AudioAudioOther
Sony SRS-T10PC USB Portable Speaker Realtek Onboard Audio Intel Centrino Desktop Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Trinity
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K Biostar Hi-Fi A85W APU Integrated Graphics G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64GB Western Digital WD Blue 500GB Lite-On iHAS124 CD/DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Pull Configuration) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blue (JIS l... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430 NZXT Source 220 Logitech Click! Mouse SteelSeries QcK Mini Diablo III Edition 
AudioAudioOther
Sony SRS-T10PC USB Portable Speaker Realtek Onboard Audio Intel Centrino Desktop Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

The OP is talking about an iPad, not a GTX 480 biggrin.gif

He was talking about a space heater, not a fire hazard biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tablets
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Tablets › So I picked up a "new" iPad today..