Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooling Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cooling Questions

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Well So I started to actually fold on a more seriously now, meaning running more then just 2 clients and having my gpu do some things too. I have some questions;

My gpus are running about 77 degrees underload is that a little too hot or is that fine if not, any suggestions on an aftermarket cooler?
post #2 of 7
You might want to look into watercooling if you want to get some good performance out of the cards and the cpu. I took my gpu temps down from 70C to 32c after I put it under water. thumb.gif
 
Project Sophos
(23 items)
 
Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 3930k Asus P9X79 Deluxe  EVGA GTX 670 2GB 2670-KR EVGA GTX 670 2GB 2670-KR 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Sniper 16GB  Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb EK Supreme LTX CPU Plexi/Nickel waterblock EK GTX 670 Plexi/Copper waterblock  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK GTX 670 Plexi/Copper waterblock  Dual Swiftech 655-B Pumps with Bitspower Top Two XSPC RX480 Radiators Windows 7-64 bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
3 Dell S2340L 23" Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro Custom Oak Desk Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 1100T 3.3Ghz @ 4.012Ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX Sparkle GTX 560TI EVGA Geforce GTX 460 Fermi 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Patriot G2 Western Digital Caviar Blue Western Digital Caviar Blue none - their ancient 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-Supreme LTX CPU Water Block - Acetal EK-VGA Supreme HF High Performance GPU Water Bl... Tejava glass bottle Swiftech MCP-655B 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Masterkleer 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit I-inc 22" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I-inc 22" Logitech k-300 Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 775 Watt Power Supply Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech G700 Eh they're useless Scythe Kaze Master Pro 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670  Intel Xeon E5-2670  Intel S2600CP2 Headless 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung ECC 2Rx4 PC3 10600R E1-P1 Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Western Digital Blue 
OSPowerCase
Centos 7x64 EVGA 750w Bronze Fractal Design Core 3500 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Project Sophos
(23 items)
 
Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 3930k Asus P9X79 Deluxe  EVGA GTX 670 2GB 2670-KR EVGA GTX 670 2GB 2670-KR 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Sniper 16GB  Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb EK Supreme LTX CPU Plexi/Nickel waterblock EK GTX 670 Plexi/Copper waterblock  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK GTX 670 Plexi/Copper waterblock  Dual Swiftech 655-B Pumps with Bitspower Top Two XSPC RX480 Radiators Windows 7-64 bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
3 Dell S2340L 23" Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro Custom Oak Desk Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 1100T 3.3Ghz @ 4.012Ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX Sparkle GTX 560TI EVGA Geforce GTX 460 Fermi 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Patriot G2 Western Digital Caviar Blue Western Digital Caviar Blue none - their ancient 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-Supreme LTX CPU Water Block - Acetal EK-VGA Supreme HF High Performance GPU Water Bl... Tejava glass bottle Swiftech MCP-655B 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Masterkleer 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit I-inc 22" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I-inc 22" Logitech k-300 Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 775 Watt Power Supply Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech G700 Eh they're useless Scythe Kaze Master Pro 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670  Intel Xeon E5-2670  Intel S2600CP2 Headless 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung ECC 2Rx4 PC3 10600R E1-P1 Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Western Digital Blue 
OSPowerCase
Centos 7x64 EVGA 750w Bronze Fractal Design Core 3500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinux View Post

You might want to look into watercooling if you want to get some good performance out of the cards and the cpu. I took my gpu temps down from 70C to 32c after I put it under water. thumb.gif

I really want to go WC, but I think Ill need a new case and a few extra hundred dollars. frown.gif.
post #4 of 7
77c is a bit too hot for CPU. What is the model of your CPU? The cheapest way is to check whether the thermal has gone bad and you may consider to reapply some on the CPU. WC is an option it is usually quite expensive even the cheapest one. Since I'm not sure which CPU you are using, can;t really recommend you a proper aftermarket cooler for it. You may consider the Freezer 13 PRO or the NH-D14. I like the how the freezer 13 pro has a tiny fan at the botton to cool the surround area and how the NH-D14 can cool the CPU even with a high TDP CPU.
post #5 of 7
77c is okay for GPUs - not great but okay.

Water cooling would be the prefered cooling solution, especially for twin cards.

Air solutions for two cards gets tricky with space being a consideration.

As an interim fix, can you use a 120mm fan on the side panel to add to your current cooling?
Edited by Sethy666 - 3/20/12 at 10:28pm
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozzamte View Post

77c is a bit too hot for CPU. What is the model of your CPU? The cheapest way is to check whether the thermal has gone bad and you may consider to reapply some on the CPU. WC is an option it is usually quite expensive even the cheapest one. Since I'm not sure which CPU you are using, can;t really recommend you a proper aftermarket cooler for it. You may consider the Freezer 13 PRO or the NH-D14. I like the how the freezer 13 pro has a tiny fan at the botton to cool the surround area and how the NH-D14 can cool the CPU even with a high TDP CPU.
Ehh sorry I think I said GPU, thanks for the suggestion though thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post

77c is okay for GPUs - not great but okay.
Water cooling would be the prefered cooling solution, especially for twin cards.
Air solutions for two cards gets tricky with space being a consideration.
As an interim fix, can you use a 120mm fan on the side panel to add to your current cooling?

Yea getting the fan coolers are going to be too large. And I already have a 120mm running on the side. I might ziptie / strap some more fans on the cd drive bays since its pretty level to the cards.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onex View Post

Yea getting the fan coolers are going to be too large. And I already have a 120mm running on the side. I might ziptie / strap some more fans on the cd drive bays since its pretty level to the cards.


Thats a pretty good Idea thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooling Questions