Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 680 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 680 Owner's Club - Page 323

post #3221 of 6048
I have that feeling that my processor is a bottleneck now. The x4 955 I have doesn't seem to put the 680 to its full potential, so it looks like I'll have to upgrade my proc/mobo next year. smile.gif
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3222 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Hmmm than maybe I should look for a Asus Direct II 680 or a MSI Twin Frozr II

Afterall i wont be doing any OCing myself since i will buy 2 of  these cards.

Yeah, a Twin Frozr II is probably a better option, since non-reference cards are kind of wasted if they're not OC'd, since they've been designed to accommodate easier and better overclocking. Reference ones aren't bad either, so it's definitely more of a luxury or for OCers should you be willing to spend $100 or more on a non-ref GPU.
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3223 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Anyone knows why Evga is not using custom fans or 2-3 fans on their OCed versions of 680?

I mean Asus, Gigabyte or MSI have 2 or 3 fans in their 680 designs but Evga has just the 1 reference fan I believe.

Does Evga have better quality fans?
Evga isn't really known for high end cooling on their cards. But the Classy will hopefully OC better than reference. But it will surely cost $600. Like someone else said these reference cards run very cool compared to previous gen cards. If you have decent air flow its pretty easy to stay under 70c and the fan noise isn't crazy like in the past.
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3224 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by emett View Post

Personally I'm really happy with the reference design, even more so as i'm running sli. No heat being emptied into the case. My cards also run cool as, hottest doesnt go over 60c in bf3.
I think a lot of people get a bit excited about non reference cards as they are differen and a bit of a novelty. They may keep your card 5c cooler while heating everything else in your case. (just an example)So I don't really see the point. Well not with my current build anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco19 View Post


Yeah, a Twin Frozr II is probably a better option, since non-reference cards are kind of wasted if they're not OC'd, since they've been designed to accommodate easier and better overclocking. Reference ones aren't bad either, so it's definitely more of a luxury or for OCers should you be willing to spend $100 or more on a non-ref GPU.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Evga isn't really known for high end cooling on their cards. But the Classy will hopefully OC better than reference. But it will surely cost $600. Like someone else said these reference cards run very cool compared to previous gen cards. If you have decent air flow its pretty easy to stay under 70c and the fan noise isn't crazy like in the past.

 

Thank you all for the answers. It seems that I finally narrowed my choices if i buy a 680 over a 670.

I will go with a Gigabyte 680 OC edition. The warranty does not carry over here in Turkey but I can get it fixed if a problem happens so all is good. I will take the chance.

 

I will try to OC my if 3570k to 4.5 ghz. Is it possible? People claim that Ivy Bridge can not be OCed even to 4.5

 

If i can succeed 4.5 will this be enough for a 680 OC SLI setup?

 

if not, what should i look for?

post #3225 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post


I will try to OC my if 3570k to 4.5 ghz. Is it possible? People claim that Ivy Bridge can not be OCed even to 4.5

If i can succeed 4.5 will this be enough for a 680 OC SLI setup?

if not, what should i look for?

Yes it is possible for the most part, you just need to tweak around with the voltage and even some of the power delivery options in your motherboard. I'd also like to point out that as with all CPUs, sometimes you get ones that don't OC as well or even very poorly in some circumstances. This isn't your fault, and some people like to call it the silicon lottery, as some chips are better than others when it comes to OC'ing the voltages needed to go that high.

For example, my i7-3770k is currently doing 4.7Ghz at 1.23v smile.gif It has been stable for almost a week now, and I'd say my chip is "good" seeing as a lot of people need more voltage than mine to get it up and those speeds. Your mileage might vary, because not every CPU requires the exact same amount of voltage to OC it to the clock that you want it to. So my point is, experiment with voltages of 1.2v-1.26v for 4.5Ghz once you do get your Ivy and its motherboard. Just have some patience with it all.

And yes, an i5-3570k @4.5Ghz is more than enough for 2 680's - you'll smash through any game easily. I can't think of any bottlenecking going on between those 3.
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3226 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post



Thank you all for the answers. It seems that I finally narrowed my choices if i buy a 680 over a 670.
I will go with a Gigabyte 680 OC edition. The warranty does not carry over here in Turkey but I can get it fixed if a problem happens so all is good. I will take the chance.

I will try to OC my if 3570k to 4.5 ghz. Is it possible? People claim that Ivy Bridge can not be OCed even to 4.5

If i can succeed 4.5 will this be enough for a 680 OC SLI setup?

if not, what should i look for?

My Ivy i7 3770K without voltage bump can play 4.2 Ghz which is a 20% over clock. Yes it does reach 4.5 Ghz with a slight voltage bump. That I haven't figured out yet.

From what I've been reading on the Ivy OC thread a 3770K over clocked to 4.5 Ghz is on par with a 2700K over clocked to 5.0 Ghz performance. Not all 2700K chips reach 5.0 Ghz either. There are some 4.8 Ghz 3770K over clocks on the thread but most are happy with the 4.5 Ghz OC. Personally right now I'm good at 4.2 Ghz and my GTX 690 reaches 99% GPU usage which means it's not being bottle necked one bit.

As for my i7 950 is also not being bottle necked from as low as 3.7 GHz to 4.0 GHz has no issues maxing out the GTX 680 with GPU 99% usage. No bottle neck on the single GTX 680 over clocked to 1223 MHz Core with GPU Boost on the i7 950 either.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #3227 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post


My Ivy i7 3770K without voltage bump can play 4.2 Ghz which is a 20% over clock. Yes it does reach 4.5 Ghz with a slight voltage bump. That I haven't figured out yet.
From what I've been reading on the Ivy OC thread a 3770K over clocked to 4.5 Ghz is on par with a 2700K over clocked to 5.0 Ghz performance. Not all 2700K chips reach 5.0 Ghz either. There are some 4.8 Ghz 3770K over clocks on the thread but most are happy with the 4.5 Ghz OC. Personally right now I'm good at 4.2 Ghz and my GTX 690 reaches 99% GPU usage which means it's not being bottle necked one bit.
As for my i7 950 is also not being bottle necked from as low as 3.7 GHz to 4.0 GHz has no issues maxing out the GTX 680 with GPU 99% usage. No bottle neck on the single GTX 680 over clocked to 1223 MHz Core with GPU Boost on the i7 950 either.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco19 View Post


Yes it is possible for the most part, you just need to tweak around with the voltage and even some of the power delivery options in your motherboard. I'd also like to point out that as with all CPUs, sometimes you get ones that don't OC as well or even very poorly in some circumstances. This isn't your fault, and some people like to call it the silicon lottery, as some chips are better than others when it comes to OC'ing the voltages needed to go that high.
For example, my i7-3770k is currently doing 4.7Ghz at 1.23v smile.gif It has been stable for almost a week now, and I'd say my chip is "good" seeing as a lot of people need more voltage than mine to get it up and those speeds. Your mileage might vary, because not every CPU requires the exact same amount of voltage to OC it to the clock that you want it to. So my point is, experiment with voltages of 1.2v-1.26v for 4.5Ghz once you do get your Ivy and its motherboard. Just have some patience with it all.
And yes, an i5-3570k @4.5Ghz is more than enough for 2 680's - you'll smash through any game easily. I can't think of any bottlenecking going on between those 3.

 

 

Thank you guys and +rep

 

Sorry i am switching back and forth between 670 SLI and 680 SLI but it seems that 670 SLI will be the must suitable setup for me. Easy to sell them here in Turkey as well if i want to sell them one day. It is great that i5 3570k at 4.5 will not bottleneck my future SLI setup. I will also do some testing first and maybe OC my 3570k to 4.2 and see if it holds 670 SLI well.

 

Though Arizonian I will be asking a few tips from you when i want to OC my CPU in July. (thats when i will have the components). I hope OCing with this motherboard is easy.

post #3228 of 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post



Thank you all for the answers. It seems that I finally narrowed my choices if i buy a 680 over a 670.
I will go with a Gigabyte 680 OC edition. The warranty does not carry over here in Turkey but I can get it fixed if a problem happens so all is good. I will take the chance.

I will try to OC my if 3570k to 4.5 ghz. Is it possible? People claim that Ivy Bridge can not be OCed even to 4.5

If i can succeed 4.5 will this be enough for a 680 OC SLI setup?

if not, what should i look for?



From what I've been reading on the Ivy OC thread a 3770K over clocked to 4.5 Ghz is on par with a 2700K over clocked to 5.0 Ghz performance. Not all 2700K chips reach 5.0 Ghz either. There are some 4.8 Ghz 3770K over clocks on the thread but most are happy with the 4.5 Ghz OC. Personally right now I'm good at 4.2 Ghz and my GTX 690 reaches 99% GPU usage which means it's not being bottle necked one bit.
Hmm, I had a friend do some testing with both i5's in his own system and for him it was more like a 200 mhz difference. So a 4.5 ivy was like a 4.7 sandy. Not sure where it actually stands but I'm not sure its really 4.5=5ghz.

According to this thread clock for clock ivy is like 5% better.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1242313/more-ivy-bridge-benchmarks-sandybridge-comparison-3770k-vs-2600k-performance-temps-etc-couple-of-ln2-scores-are-up#
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3229 of 6048
ooh, my DC2 TOP ordered from the states is coming in shortly biggrin.gif

17quj6.jpg
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
tehwelterweight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, 1.28v Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ASUS (ref) NVIDIA GTX 980 ti 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 10-12-12... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Corsair H100i W7 64bit  BenQ XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-85 Seasonic X-660 Corsair C70  Razer Deathadder 2013  
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3230 of 6048
One thing I've found out is that overclocking GTX 680's in SLI really stinks. I have two cards that can do 1300 MHz+ solo but in SLI they barely can do 1180 MHz without crashing out in BF3. What crap. Anyone else seen similar?
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X - 4.5 GHz Edition 10 Rampage V Extreme Titan Xp  G.Skill 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB - Samsung SM961 Windows 10 Pro OLED 4K 55" LG C7P Razer BlackWidow TE Stealth Chroma 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Razer Mamba TE Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X - 4.5 GHz Edition 10 Rampage V Extreme Titan Xp  G.Skill 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB - Samsung SM961 Windows 10 Pro OLED 4K 55" LG C7P Razer BlackWidow TE Stealth Chroma 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Razer Mamba TE Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 680 Owner's Club