Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown - Page 68

post #671 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Ok, so we got a new bit of info.... crossposting this partially from the 680 oc thread:
Doesn't sound bad to me at all thumb.gif.
I agree, in perspective it's actually pretty darn solid for a stock card, stable. There's this pervasive myth out there that all 7970's hit 400mhz oc's all day and night long when it's not the case, most of them are 150-200mhz(at most) bumps for 24/7 stability (for a ~1075-1125mhz operating speed) without making the card into a vacuum cleaner on noise (and even then most of them don't respond to much further voltage bumps, anyway). If we can really expect +150-200 on the GTX 680 as a typical average, that makes clocks of ~1250-1300 generally achievable from a stock of around 1100 max turbo. The OC percentages aren't really going to be that different typically it appears.
We may get a little more from further drivers/tools as well. Assuming the quote above is correct (which I'm sure it's pretty accurate), you're talking an average of say 15% oc (1270 turbo) on a GTX 680 vs. 19% on a Radeon 7970 (1100). With the gtx 680's performance advantage and $50 lower price, it's still a huge contender even for oc'ers using their rigs for gaming/24-7 usage.


Most of that^ is a non-issue though...

 

We are talking about a stock card @ $499. How well it OC doesn't really matter until you get away from the non-reference designs. Stock for Stock, don't even acknowledge their argument for "Well you can always overclock the R7970 ($559) to the GTX680's ($499) levels.."

 

It is^ laughable..   

 

 

 

But your point is well made. Even though it will go unheeded/noted.  The only drawback to the 680 is it's 2GB of VRAM. Yet, we don't see that being a problem on too many benchmarks. Most who go multi-monitor will wait for 4GB cards (I am), but that is not a "con", because it a choice. (Just hope we start to 4gb 680s in the next few weeks.)

 

The GTX 680 is a win/win. All the consumer needs to do is keep these cards cool, nvidia will do the rest. 
 

 

 

post #672 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post



Most of that^ is a non-issue though...

We are talking about a stock card @ $499. How well it OC doesn't really matter until you get away from the non-reference designs. Stock for Stock, don't even acknowledge their argument for "Well you can always overclock the R7970 ($559) to the GTX680's ($499) levels.."

It is^ laughable..   



But your point is well made. Even though it will go unheeded/noted.  The only drawback to the 680 is it's 2GB of VRAM. Yet, we don't see that being a problem on too many benchmarks. Most who go multi-monitor will wait for 4GB cards (I am), but that is not a "con", because it a choice. (Just hope we start to 4gb 680s in the next few weeks.)

The GTX 680 is a win/win. All the consumer needs to do is keep these cards cool, nvidia will do the rest. 

 


Question: At what price would 7970 be a better deal than the 680?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #673 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine View Post


Question: At what price would 7970 be a better deal than the 680?

that's too subjective a question. too many things to consider. objectively, I'd say $459.99 vs $499.99 for the majority of gamers. if you want the compute function for programs that support it, multiple audio channels (kind of cool. would have been very useful to my last multi screen setup), or want more robust multi screen support right away (AMD added loads of updates through drivers, I'm sure nvidia can easily and likely will do the same), then the 7970 is a better buy for you right now regardless of price.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0  8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB 3TB Toshiba  3TB Toshiba Custom Water 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit HP 23xi Corsair HX750i Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0  8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB 3TB Toshiba  3TB Toshiba Custom Water 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit HP 23xi Corsair HX750i Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #674 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

that's too subjective a question. too many things to consider. objectively, I'd say $459.99 vs $499.99 for the majority of gamers. if you want the compute function for programs that support it, multiple audio channels (kind of cool. would have been very useful to my last multi screen setup), or want more robust multi screen support right away (AMD added loads of updates through drivers, I'm sure nvidia can easily and likely will do the same), then the 7970 is a better buy for you right now regardless of price.

Yeah, I mostly play BF3 and Skryim, both games that favor Nvidia.

However, I can probably get a 7970 right now for $440 shipped and that just seems too sweet a deal to pass up....argh!

I originally was looking at the 7870 (which would still be deficient in those games), but for about $100 more I can go all the way, so it seems like the better route.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #675 of 880
for $440 I'd happily get the 7970.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0  8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB 3TB Toshiba  3TB Toshiba Custom Water 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit HP 23xi Corsair HX750i Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0  8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB 3TB Toshiba  3TB Toshiba Custom Water 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit HP 23xi Corsair HX750i Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #676 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Ok, so we got a new bit of info.... crossposting this partially from the 680 oc thread:
Doesn't sound bad to me at all thumb.gif.
I agree, in perspective it's actually pretty darn solid for a stock card, stable. There's this pervasive myth out there that all 7970's hit 400mhz oc's all day and night long when it's not the case, most of them are 150-200mhz(at most) bumps for 24/7 stability (for a ~1075-1125mhz operating speed) without making the card into a vacuum cleaner on noise (and even then most of them don't respond to much further voltage bumps, anyway). If we can really expect +150-200 on the GTX 680 as a typical average, that makes clocks of ~1250-1300 generally achievable from a stock of around 1100 max turbo. The OC percentages aren't really going to be that different typically it appears.
We may get a little more from further drivers/tools as well. Assuming the quote above is correct (which I'm sure it's pretty accurate), you're talking an average of say 15% oc (1270 turbo) on a GTX 680 vs. 19% on a Radeon 7970 (1100). With the gtx 680's performance advantage and $50 lower price, it's still a huge contender even for oc'ers using their rigs for gaming/24-7 usage.

Dude I know you think I just argue with you but not one person in the 680/7970 Battle Royale thread has a OC under 1200 mhz. The average is most definitely not 200 on these cards. These cards are some of the best OCing cards ever released. I'm not going to even get into which card is better but you downplaying the 7970's OCing ability is foolish.

The card is simply conservatively clocked. That's why even though it's a bigger die all the reviews have it running cooler at stock then the 680.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #677 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBest View Post

Unless ur running lots of screens at once u should stop supporting these over priced, under utilized cards. What I'm waiting for is nvidia and ati pushing for better PC gaming experiences. Its sad today we still get console ports while most of u ripped off from spending $500 on 1 gpu to play a upscaled Xbox 360 game.

You obviously have never seen a PC game at full quality @ 60+ FPS versus the PS3/360 equivalent at some crap resolution @ 30fps.

Also, are the cards at the $200 price point not awesome? Last I checked, a 560 Ti is still a great card...
The Beast
(17 items)
 
The Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-3850 ASRock A75 Pro4 Radeon 6550D G.Skill Sniper LV DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi DVD Burner Coolermaster Hyper 612 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 20" Dell Keyboard Raidmax 530W Antec One Hundred 
MouseAudio
Logitech M510 Realtek ALC892 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(17 items)
 
The Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-3850 ASRock A75 Pro4 Radeon 6550D G.Skill Sniper LV DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi DVD Burner Coolermaster Hyper 612 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 20" Dell Keyboard Raidmax 530W Antec One Hundred 
MouseAudio
Logitech M510 Realtek ALC892 
  hide details  
Reply
post #678 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeassa View Post

You obviously have never seen a PC game at full quality @ 60+ FPS versus the PS3/360 equivalent at some crap resolution @ 30fps.
Also, are the cards at the $200 price point not awesome? Last I checked, a 560 Ti is still a great card...

560 Ti was the card of 2011 imo. It reminds me of the 5850/8800GT/9600Pro of yesteryear. A budget gamer will be good with a 560 ti for the next two years probabally imo.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #679 of 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine View Post

Question: At what price would 7970 be a better deal than the 680?
7950 is already $50 cheaper and faster OC vs OC in DX. Much faster in OpenCL/Compute even at stock. It might even drop down to $400 soon. Nvidia has the win for 3D though.
post #680 of 880
Do you guys have any ideas about mass release Gtx 680? I'm so tempted to get one.

There is a guy in my local area list this card on craigslist for $700. I don't know why people take advantage of it for just little cash.
Edited by damtachoa - 3/24/12 at 1:13pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Asus Maximus V Formula Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP CORSAIR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Corsair H100i Window 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Samsung S27B970D PLS LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Logitech MK700 Combo Corsair Gold AX750W 80 Plus NZXT 410 ELITE MIONIX Propus 380 
OtherOtherOther
WD 3TB Green Sata 6Gb/s (WD30EZRX) WD 2.5TB Green Sata 6Gb/s (WD25EZRX) Seagate 3TB Sata 6Gb/s (ST3000DM001) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Asus Maximus V Formula Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP CORSAIR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Corsair H100i Window 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Samsung S27B970D PLS LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Logitech MK700 Combo Corsair Gold AX750W 80 Plus NZXT 410 ELITE MIONIX Propus 380 
OtherOtherOther
WD 3TB Green Sata 6Gb/s (WD30EZRX) WD 2.5TB Green Sata 6Gb/s (WD25EZRX) Seagate 3TB Sata 6Gb/s (ST3000DM001) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown