Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Engadget] High-res Mountain Lion art could point to Retina Macs in 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Engadget] High-res Mountain Lion art could point to Retina Macs in 2012 - Page 11

post #101 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

Don't want. I run 1440P on 27" monitor. Sometimes I strain to read text. If it was on a 24" or 22" monitor it would be very annoying to read anything.
I hate the term retina. It means nothing.
1440P is the sweet spot in my opinion, havent seen 1600p but I know personally I dont want any smaller than 1440p. I have my monitor on the wall 3ft away from the edge of my desk and its perfect gaming, if I spent lots of time in word processors though it would strain my eyes pretty good

You can change the size of the text, universally, in the system preferences quite easily if you enjoy your high resolution but find the small text to strain your eyes. I could help you figure this out if you'd like.

Obviously they would compensate for the greater pixel density when this is implemented and not make text any smaller than it already is. I don't think it's going to effect usability at all.
CYLONRAIDER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K HT @ 4.6Ghz, 1.41v GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 2 X ASUS DCII Radeon HD 6970 2GB, Crossfired Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SRT Caching Western Digital Velociraptor 450GB Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoons 3X ASUS 21" IPS VS229H-P, Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 SeaSonic 1000W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Modular Antec Lanboy Air, Red Logitech G600 
AudioAudio
Schiit BiFrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
CYLONRAIDER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K HT @ 4.6Ghz, 1.41v GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 2 X ASUS DCII Radeon HD 6970 2GB, Crossfired Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SRT Caching Western Digital Velociraptor 450GB Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoons 3X ASUS 21" IPS VS229H-P, Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 SeaSonic 1000W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Modular Antec Lanboy Air, Red Logitech G600 
AudioAudio
Schiit BiFrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post

I'm not patronizing you. But the fact is, business class workstations cost approximately the same as Apple products and are in near the same quality bracket when it comes to physical components (there are exceptions obviously.)
Your argument isn't fair. It's like comparing a cheap GM car to a more sought after German one.
If you want to argue OEM consumer grade machines, what about companies like CyberPower, iBuyPower, and others that will build custom PCs with high quality components. Obviously these aren't the same as a Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others, but they still are pre-built machines.

This. Except business class machines aren't near the same quality as Apple, they're better. And since Apple prices their machines in the same price bracket, it's only fair to compare them.

I have both a Thinkpad and a Macbook - both of them 2011 models - and I can tell you as a fact that the Thinkpad is better in every way except for the speakers (which really, really suck) and touchpad (but it more than makes up for it by having a trackpoint smile.gif). Pick any sort of measurement that you want - durability, screen quality, battery life, wifi strength, keyboard, connectivity, whatever. The Thinkpad is by far a better machine.

But at the end of the day you have to remember that computers are tools. And just like any tool, you have to pick the right one for the job.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 110
So what you are saying is that the think pad wins on all the quantitative metrics but fails on the qualitative ones? I suppose that may be true but I prefer quality over quantity.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k P8P67 Pro GeForce 460 GTX 768 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120gb SSD, 1tb Samsung HDD Windows 7 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 850 Watt Cooler Master 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k P8P67 Pro GeForce 460 GTX 768 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120gb SSD, 1tb Samsung HDD Windows 7 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 850 Watt Cooler Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2194 View Post

So what you are saying is that the think pad wins on all the quantitative metrics but fails on the qualitative ones? I suppose that may be true but I prefer quality over quantity.

What are you even talking about? Thinkpad's build QUALITY puts Macbook Pros to shame. Screen quality; again you can't get a 15" 1080p Macbook, nor a 1600x900 14" (or 13"). Spillproof Thinkpad keyboard, chalk up another one for quality. Not to mention the clickpads on Macbooks are idiodic. I can tap any Windows laptop's touchpad, even double-tap (or triple-tap) much quicker than a Macbook Pro's clickpad. Heck, you can even program a Thinkpad touchpad to have multiple tapzones, as it is I have a zone for right-click and middle click. It's good enough to the point where I can get away with using the touchpad for CAD work if I'm in a bind.

Oh, and glossy screens aren't quality, nor are flat keys on a keyboard. Nor is a 4.5 pound 13" laptop when Lenovo has a 4-pound 14" Thinkpad, with a higher-resolution.
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 110
I cant be the only one who thinks a "retina display" is a terrible name... it makes no sense, all it is is a very pixel dense screen.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 @ 4.2ghz Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 HD6950 @ 950/1350 8gb G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X WD Caviar Blue 500gb Asus 24x Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer V243HL 24" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec Earth Watts 750w CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced Razor DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 @ 4.2ghz Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 HD6950 @ 950/1350 8gb G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X WD Caviar Blue 500gb Asus 24x Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer V243HL 24" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec Earth Watts 750w CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced Razor DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

LG is a Korean company. Apple regularly uses Korean products in their products.

Mathematics was created in Sumer, present day Iraq, therefore using your logic everything made using math is Sumerian.
Cars are sumerian, pcs are sumerian, anything math based is sumerian according to your flawed logic.
post #107 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2194 View Post

So what you are saying is that the think pad wins on all the quantitative metrics but fails on the qualitative ones? I suppose that may be true but I prefer quality over quantity.

So the speakers and touchpad are the only qualitative metrics there are? Go ahead and get a Macbook then. I hope you enjoy it.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny View Post

20120323retina.png
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/23/high-res-apple-retina-macs/
Bring.
It.
On.

thumb.gif
post #109 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumty View Post

Mathematics was created in Sumer, present day Iraq, therefore using your logic everything made using math is Sumerian.
Cars are sumerian, pcs are sumerian, anything math based is sumerian according to your flawed logic.

MAthematics was likely created by someone before Sumer existed. Cuneiform was created there which is the first instance of written language, but we know there are older cities than Ur, outside Sumer, so it stands to reason that mathematics existed before as well, we just don't know about it because we haven't found the text to prove it.
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

MAthematics was likely created by someone before Sumer existed. Cuneiform was created there which is the first instance of written language, but we know there are older cities than Ur, outside Sumer, so it stands to reason that mathematics existed before as well, we just don't know about it because we haven't found the text to prove it.

Also star wars had tons of math.
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Engadget] High-res Mountain Lion art could point to Retina Macs in 2012