Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [DM] Facebook threatens to sue employers who demand passwords in job interviews - users 'should never have to share' information'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[DM] Facebook threatens to sue employers who demand passwords in job interviews - users 'should never have to share' information' - Page 7

post #61 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy03 View Post

People get denied jobs and unaccepted to colleges for stuff posted on facebook, even if someone else posted it on their wall. If the person's profile is private and/or hidden, no one has the right to ask for that info other than a friend request. It's like asking for a spare key to your house.
+1 FB

At least when a friend request isn't demanded by a school to monitor your activity thumb.gif
post #62 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Down with Facebook.
7 pages later I still think you need told to shut up.

On topic: this is absolutely great. I have on I barely use but this let's me tell companies "No" smile.gif

Sent with Tapatalk
Sovereign
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Pro4 EVGA GTX 470 Kingston 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128 GB SSD LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 PRO x64 ASUS 1920x1080 LED 23.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech USB Media Keyboard CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec Nine Hundred Two Logitech 
Audio
Turtlebeach Earforce P11 
  hide details  
Reply
Sovereign
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Pro4 EVGA GTX 470 Kingston 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128 GB SSD LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 PRO x64 ASUS 1920x1080 LED 23.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech USB Media Keyboard CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec Nine Hundred Two Logitech 
Audio
Turtlebeach Earforce P11 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 106
It is different from state to state. Here in TN, it is hire/fire without reason. In KY, it wasn't like that. At least it didn't used to be, it may have changed since I lived there. Here in TN, they could technically ask me for my FB information and fire me the same day if I didn't comply. All they would have to do is say it wasn't working out for whatever reason. As long as I couldn't prove it was over the FB thing, I couldn't do a thing about it. Same goes for hiring of course, they could make up any number of reasons for that. If this is really happening, it is a good faith decision by FB at least. Even if they never plan on following through, it will probably be enough to deter most employers from asking for anything related to FB.
post #64 of 106
I still don't understand any of you saying companies have a right to do this or ask to be your friend on there. They don't and they can't discriminate against you for it.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

I still don't understand any of you saying companies have a right to do this or ask to be your friend on there. They don't and they can't discriminate against you for it.


They don't have the right. But that doesn't stop them from doing it then firing you for not complying and saying it was for some other totally unrelated reason. That is what we are saying. If you can't prove that they didn't hire you or did fire you for that reason, then you can do nothing about it, at least in some states.
post #66 of 106
If I were ever asked that, I'd laugh and ask if they were serious. If they were, I'd share their hand, and casually walk out.

However, I'm in a specialized field, I have not only post-secondary education but many years of experience, so it's not like employers will let me just walk out. It would be their loss.
MOAR COARS
(14 items)
 
Red Dragon
(9 items)
 
Old Green
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 AsRock Taichi X370 EVGA 1080Ti FE 16GB Trident Z 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB SK Hynix 500GB SSD EK Supremacy Evo EK XTX 65mm Rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10  BenQ XL2420T 120hz Tomoko Blue 84-key EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w 
CaseMouse
Fractal Define S Logitech G300S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 2x Palit GTX460 1GB 8GB 1333 G.Skill F3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb 1x 320gb Windows 7 Ultimate 22" Samsung 1080p Corsair 750w 
Case
CoolerMaster 690 
  hide details  
Reply
MOAR COARS
(14 items)
 
Red Dragon
(9 items)
 
Old Green
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 AsRock Taichi X370 EVGA 1080Ti FE 16GB Trident Z 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB SK Hynix 500GB SSD EK Supremacy Evo EK XTX 65mm Rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10  BenQ XL2420T 120hz Tomoko Blue 84-key EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w 
CaseMouse
Fractal Define S Logitech G300S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 2x Palit GTX460 1GB 8GB 1333 G.Skill F3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb 1x 320gb Windows 7 Ultimate 22" Samsung 1080p Corsair 750w 
Case
CoolerMaster 690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Red View Post

If I were ever asked that, I'd laugh and ask if they were serious. If they were, I'd share their hand, and casually walk out.

However, I'm in a specialized field, I have not only post-secondary education but many years of experience, so it's not like employers will let me just walk out. It would be their loss.

I feel the same way, but most don't have that luxury I'd assume. They average Joe doesn't have that specialist degree and sought after by their employer. Most are dime a dozen type workers. At least the ones that this kind of thing would apply to. I don't see an employer of someone with a high end degree asking for something like a FB account. Their credibility is in their degree and/or previous employers. This is all falls back on credibility.
post #68 of 106
great. Now you can tell someone who asks you that it is illegal. You're contractually bound to not share it, and they're a criminal for asking you to. You'd be a criminal for sharing, and do they really only hire criminals?
post #69 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinj View Post

This is awesome and Im thrilled that FB is doing this. I am not a big face book user nor am I going to be interviewing for jobs anytime soon but I was pretty pissed when I read on here a couple of weeks ago that employers asking for FB logins was becoming the norm.


I don't have a facebook account at all, or any other social networking accounts, but I still feel it is a very ignorant move by employers. There's a reason people separate their personal lives from their work lives. I wouldn't ever imagine talking to my parents or somebody like a police officer, stranger and such the same way I'd talk to my friends.

Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post

I don't have a facebook account at all, or any other social networking accounts, but I still feel it is a very ignorant move by employers. There's a reason people separate their personal lives from their work lives. I wouldn't ever imagine talking to my parents or somebody like a police officer, stranger and such the same way I'd talk to my friends.

I don't have an social networking accounts either. And I still feel strongly about this not needing to happening. Because even though I don't use social networking sites, how would a potential employer take that? Could be just as bad as having one with a lot of controversial stuff (or at least what they consider to be 'controversial' or 'bad').

And I agree, personal lives should not matter to an exployer. Plenty of people know how to act proffesional in the workplace, regardless of how eccentric their personal lives may be. And if they want to use it as a way to make sure you aren't posting slander or blasphemy about clients or potential clients ( common examples brought up in the last thread ), and want you to represent the company, then tough luck to them. Once you leave your place of employment you no longer represent them until you clock in the next morning. And what you do and what you say is of no concern to them. If a potential client ( as per the example ) does happen upon your facebook ( stalker much? ) and reads some bad mouthing, they should take it up with you, and not bring it into the business side of things.

Besides, this is what privacy settings are for. Don't want people seing your page, don't let them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [DM] Facebook threatens to sue employers who demand passwords in job interviews - users 'should never have to share' information'