Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i5 2500k overclocking BSoD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i5 2500k overclocking BSoD?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, first time posting - lurking for a while though. So hi!
As with most first posts on a tech forum I've been having trouble with some, I've been doing some first time overclocking and am a little confused.

I've been getting a blue screen of death with the message "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary CPU within the allocated time interval..."
I don't see what I'm doing wrong but from what I've read I've just got a core holding back the rest or I have a defective chip, all answers were vague and unsatisfactory. My BIOS settings and hardware are as follows;

Vcore - 1.33v
Multiplier - 46x
Base Clock - 100MHz
PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
Speedstep - Disabled
Memory is at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.552v (upped it to see if it would stabilise).

i5 2500k w/ Noctua NH-D14
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Black
Crucial M4 and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair AX750

I've tried lower multipliers and higher voltage, even at 4.3GHz I get this error. Temperatures are not an issue and neither is power.

Sorry if this has been categorised wrong but it seemed to be the best fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you need more details just ask.
post #2 of 9
Hi and welcome thumb.gif

any chance you can post your crash dump file? I will be able to get a better understanding on what is going on
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar585 View Post

Hi and welcome thumb.gif
any chance you can post your crash dump file? I will be able to get a better understanding on what is going on

No problem, it crashes within a few runs of maximum on IBT so I'll post it in 10 mins or so.

E: If anyone wants to take a look at the .mdp(s) then I've uploaded them here. http://www.mediafire.com/?qqpx3h1o5e3fcu6
Edited by lewwatt - 3/23/12 at 12:45pm
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Nobody at all?
post #5 of 9
I have just looked through your dump files and I hate to say it but what you have read about the core holding you back seems right I am afraid redface.gif

Overclocking is not a guaranteed science and although a lot of people do tend to get high clock speeds on their 2500k's/2600k's their are plenty that also don't/can't. I myself cant get my 2600k over 4.8 ghz due to it requiring to much voltage, but many are able to hit 5-5+ on air alone...its all in the luck of the draw when you get your chip.

If you have recently purchased your 2500k, I would suggest going about returning it or even trying to RMA it to Intel to see if they would replace it...its worth a shot anyway.

sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
this is a common error if your overclock is not stable
Stop 0x00000101 "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval
0x101 = increase vcore

looking at you rig (please fill up your sig and feel free to post all other bios settings )=>8GB RAM you probably may have to increase your VCCIO or Vcore
try this
-clear cmos /load optimized defaults
-now you can start overclocking with your RAM @ default 1333 until you establish your OC
-@x46 i would enable PLL Overvoltage
Edited by coolhandluke41 - 3/23/12 at 3:46pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930K Rampage IV Gene SLI Evga GTX 780 Classy 16Gb TeamX2400c9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro/ Hitachi Deskstar 1TB  H20 (NexXxoS 420+280) w7x64 VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logitech G110 SuperNOVA 1300 G2 G502 Proteus Core Foobar2K/WASAPI >NuForce Icon HDP >Crack with S... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930K Rampage IV Gene SLI Evga GTX 780 Classy 16Gb TeamX2400c9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro/ Hitachi Deskstar 1TB  H20 (NexXxoS 420+280) w7x64 VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logitech G110 SuperNOVA 1300 G2 G502 Proteus Core Foobar2K/WASAPI >NuForce Icon HDP >Crack with S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar585 View Post

I have just looked through your dump files and I hate to say it but what you have read about the core holding you back seems right I am afraid redface.gif
Overclocking is not a guaranteed science and although a lot of people do tend to get high clock speeds on their 2500k's/2600k's their are plenty that also don't/can't. I myself cant get my 2600k over 4.8 ghz due to it requiring to much voltage, but many are able to hit 5-5+ on air alone...its all in the luck of the draw when you get your chip.
If you have recently purchased your 2500k, I would suggest going about returning it or even trying to RMA it to Intel to see if they would replace it...its worth a shot anyway.
sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Don't apologise, you diagnosed my problem. Thanks! Just my luck, never thought I would get a chip this bad. I'll try and get a replacement, or would it be worth getting a refund and hold out for the 3550k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post

this is a common error if your overclock is not stable
Stop 0x00000101 "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval
0x101 = increase vcore
looking at you rig (please fill up your sig and feel free to post all other bios settings )=>8GB RAM you probably may have to increase your VCCIO or Vcore
try this
-clear cmos /load optimized defaults
-now you can start overclocking with your RAM @ default 1333 until you establish your OC
-@x46 i would enable PLL Overvoltage
Ok thanks, if I can't get a replacement/refund I'll try this.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwatt View Post

Don't apologise, you diagnosed my problem. Thanks! Just my luck, never thought I would get a chip this bad. I'll try and get a replacement, or would it be worth getting a refund and hold out for the 3550k?
Ok thanks, if I can't get a replacement/refund I'll try this.

who knows mate...we have only seen a few benchmarks of cherry picked 3550k's so not many people know if it is going to be much of an improvement over sandy for overclocking.

I personally would keep with sandy as it is tried and tested especially if you do want to get into overclocking as there are plenty of guides to help you out plus first revision cpus tend to be riddled with bugs...but that's just my opinion.
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Thanos
(12 items)
 
Benchy
(15 items)
 
Aspire 5755g
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k @ 4.6 Asus Z170 deluxe MSI 980ti twin frozr 6G 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb Samsung 850 pro Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 64bit 23 inch Samsung SA3000 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Qpad Mk 85 Corsair HX750 Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz HT on 24/7 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 MSI 7970 [2PMD3GD5] @ 1270/1900 4x 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
3x WD GREEN 500GB 128gb OCZ agility 3 Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S22A350H Qpad mk-85 (Cherry Red switches) Corsair HX750 Handmade Test Bench 
MouseAudio
X7 (I didn't buy it) Plantronics Gamecom 780's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Bios unlocked NVIDIA GT540M (OC GT55M Speed) 8gb 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 750gb Samsung 840 pro SSD Removed for SSD! what cooling? burning 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 x64 home premium 15.6" HD LED clinky stylee touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwatt View Post

Hey guys, first time posting - lurking for a while though. So hi!
As with most first posts on a tech forum I've been having trouble with some, I've been doing some first time overclocking and am a little confused.
I've been getting a blue screen of death with the message "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary CPU within the allocated time interval..."
I don't see what I'm doing wrong but from what I've read I've just got a core holding back the rest or I have a defective chip, all answers were vague and unsatisfactory. My BIOS settings and hardware are as follows;
Vcore - 1.33v
Multiplier - 46x
Base Clock - 100MHz
PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
Speedstep - Disabled
Memory is at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.552v (upped it to see if it would stabilise).
i5 2500k w/ Noctua NH-D14
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Black
Crucial M4 and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair AX750
I've tried lower multipliers and higher voltage, even at 4.3GHz I get this error. Temperatures are not an issue and neither is power.
Sorry if this has been categorised wrong but it seemed to be the best fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you need more details just ask.

Looks like it's your chip. My 2500k runs 5.0ghz 24-7 on a hyper 212 aircooler@1.42 vcore in a Antec 300 case. It's like buying a new car that was built on a Friday smile.gif Can't tell which AsRock you have, P67 or Z68? The P67 boards are garbage for overclocking. I suggest any of the Z68 boards from MSI. I posted a link to my 3Dmark below.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/4006494

i5 2500k@5.0Ghz@1.44 Vcore
Msi Z68a-GD55 Military Class II Board
Evga 2x 670GTX FTW SLI 1300mhz core/3700mhz memory/1260mhz core/3700mhz memory
Hyper 212 plus cooler
G-Skill RipJaw memory 1600hz 2x4(8gig)
Corsair 850 TX v2.2 Psu
Intel 120gb SSD 3.0
WD Hard-drive 1tig
Antec 300 case 2x Tricool, 3x Coolermaster Sickelflow 120mm fans
Samsug Xl2370 1920x1080 HD monitor
Edited by SeanJ76 - 7/30/12 at 6:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i5 2500k overclocking BSoD?