Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Venture Beat] Interplay loses rights to Fallout intellectual property in lawsuit settlement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Venture Beat] Interplay loses rights to Fallout intellectual property in lawsuit settlement - Page 2

post #11 of 47
meh, taking the IP from the original creators is scummy. I don't like any of Bethesda's games outside of Oblivion
post #12 of 47
Thread Starter 
They didn't take it.

They lost it, quite different.
New rig
(9 items)
  
Reply
New rig
(9 items)
  
Reply
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

They didn't take it.
They lost it, quite different.

Hm. That changes things. Forget I posted here, lol.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post

Interplay doesn't need Fallout anyway.
What they NEED to do is actually USE the license they just renewed for Descent and make a fourth one.

^THIS. Best game ever.

Although I agree that Interplay lost this fair and square, the prospect of Interplay returning to the PC gaming arena was quite fun sounding.
Black Hole
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Black Hole
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post

Interplay doesn't need Fallout anyway.
What they NEED to do is actually USE the license they just renewed for Descent and make a fourth one.

THIS!!!! Thisx100000.
Sandy Bridge
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 SLI Titan Corsair Dominator PC1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128gb - OS & games Custom waterloop Win 7 Ultimate x64 QNIX 2710, Asus VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DK9008 Shine 2 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 700D Roccat kone KTD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Bridge
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 SLI Titan Corsair Dominator PC1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128gb - OS & games Custom waterloop Win 7 Ultimate x64 QNIX 2710, Asus VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DK9008 Shine 2 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 700D Roccat kone KTD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 47
QQ more, what we need is developers to come up with new IP's instead of rehashing and milking the same ones into the ground. I'm talking to you EA.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Wow.
So in your world, you can sign contracts to do something but if you don't do what you promised, it's still ok? ROFL.
Interplay, due to their own incompetence going public, is the only one to blame here. They would have sold the rights to Fallout to anybody when things got bad.

Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Bethesda took what was a niche game and made it game of the year. Something Interplay could have never done.

Disagree.

Fallout and Fallout 2 were quite popular in their day, and as far as many are concerned, better games than Fallout 3/NV.

What big PC media sites consider "Game of Year" is about as relevant as the Oscars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsteve View Post

meh, taking the IP from the original creators is scummy. I don't like any of Bethesda's games outside of Oblivion

Many of the original creators haven't had anything to do with Interplay for quite some time.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post


Wow.

So in your world, you can sign contracts to do something but if you don't do what you promised, it's still ok? ROFL.

Interplay, due to their own incompetence going public, is the only one to blame here. They would have sold the rights to Fallout to anybody when things got bad.

Bethesda took what was a niche game and made it game of the year. Something Interplay could have never done.

Oblivion was a good game, the fallout mod they made for it was pretty good too, especially since the lore Interplay created for that universe was so strong.

Like i said very plainly in my first post, i understand they defaulted on their contract agreement, but if you look close you'll see the expectations of them were a bit ridiculous in the first place. 30 million is a lot of money to ask a small studio to raise in two years, etc.


Interplay is a good developer and they deserve a bit of recognition IMO, selling the fallout ip was their only option in the face of bankruptcy, times were hard, do your research. They didn't just whore it out because they wanted new shoes.

Giving them a contract extension or something was the least bethesda couldve done do show some respect, but instead they'll just continue to be greedy arrogant douches and sue people like notch for making games that use words in their game titles that are slightly similar to theirs.
Edited by Rommel - 3/25/12 at 1:48pm
The Desert Fox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x6 1090T ASUS M5A97 Evo AM3+ EVGA GTX570 800/2000 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD 6400AALS RAID/Mushkin 60gb SSD Sony Optiarc Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Asus CCFL 2ms (LED screens suck, seriously.) 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Corsair TX650 52amp 12v Microsoft Wireless BlueTrack 6000 Wal-mart $1.99 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
The Desert Fox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x6 1090T ASUS M5A97 Evo AM3+ EVGA GTX570 800/2000 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD 6400AALS RAID/Mushkin 60gb SSD Sony Optiarc Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Asus CCFL 2ms (LED screens suck, seriously.) 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Corsair TX650 52amp 12v Microsoft Wireless BlueTrack 6000 Wal-mart $1.99 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Like i said very plainly in my first post, i understand they defaulted on their contract agreement, but if you look close you'll see the expectations of them were a bit ridiculous in the first place. 30 million is a lot of money to ask a small studio to raise in two years, etc.

If the contract is so "ridiculous" then why did Interplay sign it in the first place? The terms were the terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Interplay is a good developer and they deserve a bit of recognition IMO, selling the fallout ip was their only option in the face of bankruptcy, times were hard, do your research. They didn't just whore it out because they wanted new shoes.

Do my research? Really? You basically just said the same thing I did in my first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Giving them a contract extension or something was the least bethesda couldve done do show some respect, but instead they'll just continue to be greedy arrogant douches and sue people like notch for making games that use words in their game titles that are slightly similar to theirs.

What is it with you kids were you dislike a certain company because of their success? The Fallout MMO could be a success. Let's give Interplay more and more time when someone else could have had almost ready for release now. If the situation were reversed and Interplay was the successful one, they wouldn't give Bethesda a break either. And if you thin they would, I'll have some of what you're smoking.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Oblivion was a good game, the fallout mod they made for it was pretty good too, especially since the lore Interplay created for that universe was so strong.
Like i said very plainly in my first post, i understand they defaulted on their contract agreement, but if you look close you'll see the expectations of them were a bit ridiculous in the first place. 30 million is a lot of money to ask a small studio to raise in two years, etc.
Interplay is a good developer and they deserve a bit of recognition IMO, selling the fallout ip was their only option in the face of bankruptcy, times were hard, do your research. They didn't just whore it out because they wanted new shoes.
Giving them a contract extension or something was the least bethesda couldve done do show some respect, but instead they'll just continue to be greedy arrogant douches and sue people like notch for making games that use words in their game titles that are slightly similar to theirs.

Interplay agreed to the terms in the first place, not sure how they (Bethesda) are "greedy arrogant douches." It's like taking a loan out and not being able to pay it back, the place you took the loan from doesn't care, you agreed to their terms after all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Venture Beat] Interplay loses rights to Fallout intellectual property in lawsuit settlement