Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Upgrade amd to 2500k now or wait for ivy bridge die shrink replacement for 2500k?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade amd to 2500k now or wait for ivy bridge die shrink replacement for 2500k?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I have a phe ii 1055t atm. I want to switch to intel because its really bottlenecking my gpu and im wondering if i should wait for ivy bridge replacement for the 2500k or upgrade to the 2500k now. Right now, my 1055t is barely getting the work done, the fps are good but the minimum fps is just really peeving me off
post #2 of 23
OC your cpu and cpu-NB and see if that helps you out. Your cpu is capable to handle your 560 ti imo.

But if you feel the need to upgrade still, just wait a bit more to see what IVY is all about.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoc22 View Post

I have a phe ii 1055t atm. I want to switch to intel because its really bottlenecking my gpu and im wondering if i should wait for ivy bridge replacement for the 2500k or upgrade to the 2500k now. Right now, my 1055t is barely getting the work done, the fps are good but the minimum fps is just really peeving me off

What clock speed is your Phenom II and what video card? My 3.5Ghz Phenom II pegs an overclocked 5850 at 99% usage in BF3 on custom settings of almost all high, no AA, no PP AA, no AO.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

OC your cpu and cpu-NB and see if that helps you out. Your cpu is capable to handle your 560 ti imo.
But if you feel the need to upgrade still, just wait a bit more to see what IVY is all about.

Well my mobo's is very finicky about even the slightest fsb change so i would need to get a new motherboard to overclock. Seeing that as a chance to go intel, why not?
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

What clock speed is your Phenom II and what video card? My 3.5Ghz Phenom II pegs an overclocked 5850 at 99% usage in BF3 on custom settings of almost all high, no AA, no PP AA, no AO.

this version of a gtx 560ti (the 448 is gf110) doesnt share anything similar to a regular gtx 560ti(gf104 but its name. Its pretty much just a 570 with a couple cuda cores disabled(they both uses the same chip) and loses to a 570 by around 1 or 2 fps in game. I have mine overclocked to stock 580 levels also.
post #6 of 23
Well I did just build a 2500K system for a friend a couple days ago. He and I are very inpressed with that chip. IVY won't be much faster that SB, so a 2500K could be a good choice right now.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Well I did just build a 2500K system for a friend a couple days ago. He and I are very inpressed with that chip. IVY won't be much faster that SB, so a 2500K could be a good choice right now.

but what about the die shrink lol. Max multi is also increased from 57 to 63 i believe
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoc22 View Post

but what about the die shrink lol. Max multi is also increased from 57 to 63 i believe

I've read that IVY runs hot and you'll max OC like SB does.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoc22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

What clock speed is your Phenom II and what video card? My 3.5Ghz Phenom II pegs an overclocked 5850 at 99% usage in BF3 on custom settings of almost all high, no AA, no PP AA, no AO.

this version of a gtx 560ti (the 448 is gf110) doesnt share anything similar to a regular gtx 560ti(gf104 but its name. Its pretty much just a 570 with a couple cuda cores disabled(they both uses the same chip) and loses to a 570 by around 1 or 2 fps in game. I have mine overclocked to stock 580 levels also.

That's partly answered, you have a higher end card. You only answered one question though, which video card. What about the clocks on your Phenom II? thinking.gif

To add, what games, what results, what resolution - and so forth?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

That's partly answered, you have a higher end card. You only answered one question though, which video card. What about the clocks on your Phenom II? thinking.gif
To add, what games, what results, what resolution - and so forth?

I have a 1600x900 monitor and I also have a habit of liking to play in windowed mode. Its frustrating for me to not switch between applications because I usually have more than 8 or 10 applications opened at the same time. So I either play at 1366x768 or 720p resolution windowed mode. Im WAW, I see framerate drop to around45fps with gpu usage at like around 35% ish and its really frustrating to see that happen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Upgrade amd to 2500k now or wait for ivy bridge die shrink replacement for 2500k?