Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › Which is better for fan control for Sapphire 6970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which is better for fan control for Sapphire 6970

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I finally got my two HD6970's from WizrdSleevz today in the mail. Im currently using RivaTuner for fan control on my 4870X2. I know its old software but it works and does what I need it to. Im looking at the Sapphire Trix and the MSI Afterburner. I have not used either one so Im not familiar with them. Im looking for one that will allow me to set up the fan control like RivaTuner would on a curve so that hotter it got the higher the fan speed.


Any input and/or suggestions would be great.
post #2 of 12
Def go for Trixx. I have used it with all my 6970's and love it. If you hit options it will even install a desktop gadget! It will just run silently in your task bar. You can also adjust GPU voltage with Trixx. If you need any help with it I have tons of experience with Trixx and all sorts of little hacks for it. Just shoot me a PM.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesC8188 View Post

Def go for Trixx. I have used it with all my 6970's and love it. If you hit options it will even install a desktop gadget! It will just run silently in your task bar. You can also adjust GPU voltage with Trixx. If you need any help with it I have tons of experience with Trixx and all sorts of little hacks for it. Just shoot me a PM.

OK I will definitely try TRIXX first then.

Thanks
post #4 of 12
Afterburner is the best. The GUI is superb, you can record video with it (like FRAPS), display in game overlay with statistics and/or temperatures, set the fan speed manually or on a custom curve, view/log graphs and even more. The absolute only reason I would use Trixx over Afterburner would be if you have a non reference 6970 and Trixx allows voltage control but Afterburner will not. If it's a reference card then Afterburner will certainly be able to adjust voltage, but on a lot of non reference models you need to use that company's specific software (e.g. Sapphire Trixx or Asus SmartDoctor).
Eff You Intel
(14 items)
 
FreeNAS
(9 items)
 
Beast
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AsRock X370 Taichi Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC 32GB (2 x F4-3200C14D-16GFX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M8Se(G) 1TB People still use these? lol Cryorig H7 Winblows 10 Professional X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-860XP2 Fractal Design Define C TG 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 SuperMicro X11SSM-F-O C236 Integrated 2 x 16GB Kingston ValueRAM ECC KVR21E15D8/16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
5 x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in ZF2 Array CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo FreeNAS 11 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W Gold 
Case
Fractal Design Node 804 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
Eff You Intel
(14 items)
 
FreeNAS
(9 items)
 
Beast
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AsRock X370 Taichi Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC 32GB (2 x F4-3200C14D-16GFX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M8Se(G) 1TB People still use these? lol Cryorig H7 Winblows 10 Professional X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-860XP2 Fractal Design Define C TG 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 SuperMicro X11SSM-F-O C236 Integrated 2 x 16GB Kingston ValueRAM ECC KVR21E15D8/16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
5 x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in ZF2 Array CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo FreeNAS 11 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W Gold 
Case
Fractal Design Node 804 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post

Afterburner is the best. The GUI is superb, you can record video with it (like FRAPS), display in game overlay with statistics and/or temperatures, set the fan speed manually or on a custom curve, view/log graphs and even more. The absolute only reason I would use Trixx over Afterburner would be if you have a non reference 6970 and Trixx allows voltage control but Afterburner will not. If it's a reference card then Afterburner will certainly be able to adjust voltage, but on a lot of non reference models you need to use that company's specific software (e.g. Sapphire Trixx or Asus SmartDoctor).

I have two reference 6970's I can't alter the volts except with trixx.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesC8188 View Post

I have two reference 6970's I can't alter the volts except with trixx.

There are two reference versions of the 6970. The one that released first had Volterra VT1556 voltage regulators, and the second reference card had CHiL CHL8228 regulators. Afterburner supports both of these as of version 2.1.0.
Quote:
  • Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6970 graphics cards with CHL8228 voltage regulators
  • Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6970 graphics cards with VT1556 voltage regulators

Either the 6970 you had wasn't reference (XFX likes to sell cards with a reference cooler that aren't actually reference design), or something was wrong. Here are the only two reference designs from AMD, both are 100% supported for voltage control.

513
Eff You Intel
(14 items)
 
FreeNAS
(9 items)
 
Beast
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AsRock X370 Taichi Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC 32GB (2 x F4-3200C14D-16GFX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M8Se(G) 1TB People still use these? lol Cryorig H7 Winblows 10 Professional X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-860XP2 Fractal Design Define C TG 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 SuperMicro X11SSM-F-O C236 Integrated 2 x 16GB Kingston ValueRAM ECC KVR21E15D8/16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
5 x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in ZF2 Array CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo FreeNAS 11 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W Gold 
Case
Fractal Design Node 804 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
Eff You Intel
(14 items)
 
FreeNAS
(9 items)
 
Beast
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AsRock X370 Taichi Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC 32GB (2 x F4-3200C14D-16GFX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M8Se(G) 1TB People still use these? lol Cryorig H7 Winblows 10 Professional X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-860XP2 Fractal Design Define C TG 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 SuperMicro X11SSM-F-O C236 Integrated 2 x 16GB Kingston ValueRAM ECC KVR21E15D8/16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
5 x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in ZF2 Array CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo FreeNAS 11 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W Gold 
Case
Fractal Design Node 804 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
^^The red PCB was the pre-release reference. It was canned due to Ti's choked supply which led to the awesome Volterra pcb. The final revised board is actually different from the red, it's missing an inductor phase and had other changes. It's been too long since I spoke Caymen so it's from memory.


The volterra ones FTW.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Mine shouldn't be reference models from what I understand. They look like the Toxic models but don't say Toxic on the boxes. I got them installed last night and started messing around with Trixx. I like the small footprint and that it really just does what I want, fan control. Not going to be OCing these right now. Going from a 4870X2 to two HD6970's is a big enough jump for now. biggrin.gif

I do have a strange issue though. One GPU idles at 250mhz and one idles at 500mhz. Doing some reading it seems this is normal but what I cant understand is that it seems that the secondary GPU is the one idling at 500mhz and not the primary. As a result its idle temps are higher. I can only think the the software I'm user to see temps is mixing up the GPUs...



EDIT - Looking at the Sapphire Toxic page it looks like I do have the HD6970 Toxic! drool.gif They look exactly like the ones in the pic and the box is the same. They also ramp up to 880mhz when loadded.
Edited by Pheatton - 3/28/12 at 6:20am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheatton View Post

Mine shouldn't be reference models from what I understand. They look like the Toxic models but don't say Toxic on the boxes. I got them installed last night and started messing around with Trixx. I like the small footprint and that it really just does what I want, fan control. Not going to be OCing these right now. Going from a 4870X2 to two HD6970's is a big enough jump for now. biggrin.gif
I do have a strange issue though. One GPU idles at 250mhz and one idles at 500mhz. Doing some reading it seems this is normal but what I cant understand is that it seems that the secondary GPU is the one idling at 500mhz and not the primary. As a result its idle temps are higher. I can only think the the software I'm user to see temps is mixing up the GPUs...
EDIT - Looking at the Sapphire Toxic page it looks like I do have the HD6970 Toxic! drool.gif They look exactly like the ones in the pic and the box is the same. They also ramp up to 880mhz when loadded.

Ah the dial 6970 Sapphires before Sapphire thought hey we should call it Toxic! thumb.gif

As for the idle, do you have more than one monitor?
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Ah the dial 6970 Sapphires before Sapphire thought hey we should call it Toxic! thumb.gif
As for the idle, do you have more than one monitor?

So it is a Toxic card, nice!

As for the monitor question yes I do have two monitors, both running off the primary card.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › Which is better for fan control for Sapphire 6970