Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › 500-600$ M-ITX Server for Minecraft?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

500-600$ M-ITX Server for Minecraft? - Page 11

post #101 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM10000 View Post

Thanks denial_! I actually did use canihostaminecraftserver.net early on, although that PCW article is new to me (the quick guide for single player world to multi is actually pretty handy, I'll be bookmarking this).
Running canihostaminecraftserver with the computer's 16GB and my school's connection (via speedtest.net) gives me 109 users, which is certainly a number that would be reached infrequently, if at all.thumb.gif
Of course, and I do, although most of the assembly happened on my desk (besides the rad and fans in the case). I only had room there for whatever I was working on at that moment, so I took pics of parts on my floor before I put them in the build redface.gif

Well good luck with your build then thumb.gif
post #102 of 116
That looks a lot like SUGO builds I've done in the past, good work so far wink.gif My H50 rad stands upright, but whatever works for you is fine smile.gif
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX 965m 16GB DDR4-2133 120GB M.2.SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
480GB Crucial M500 Windows 10 Pro Dell Ultrasharp u2713hm Corsair Vengeance K70 
MouseAudio
Logitech G600 Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX 965m 16GB DDR4-2133 120GB M.2.SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
480GB Crucial M500 Windows 10 Pro Dell Ultrasharp u2713hm Corsair Vengeance K70 
MouseAudio
Logitech G600 Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial_ View Post

Well good luck with your build then thumb.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post

That looks a lot like SUGO builds I've done in the past, good work so far wink.gif My H50 rad stands upright, but whatever works for you is fine smile.gif

Thanks - I had the radiator oriented in such a way simply because installation was easier on that side, since the PCI slots are unused.

As I am waiting on the hardware to arrive in the mail (should come by Wednesday), I have been playing around with the build, and I have noticed that the memory is being reported at ~666MHz by CPU-Z, even though it is stock 1333MHz RAM:

392

To be sure, I checked that the BIOS was set to defaults, which it was. The config page looks like this:

450

I have tried manually setting the frequency (highlighted option) as DDR3-1333, but this doesn't change anything. Further, the BIOS is automatically recognizing all the correct specifications (9-9-9-24, etc.), and these are what CPU-Z are reporting as well.

I don't have too much experience with configuring or OCing memory, but with the defaults not working and ASRock using unfamiliar nomenclature in a somewhat limited BIOS, I don't know how to fix this. Is anyone familiar with ASRock's UEFI BIOS that could point me in the right direction?
post #104 of 116
Take a look at the table it speaks for itself : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM.
So even if it says 666mhz, you got ddr3-1333 like your BIOS says.

Here's mine for ddr3-1600 : 402
post #105 of 116
DDR stands for Dual Data Rate, so 666.5 * 2 = 1333 effective. Anyway, I can't wait to see this build. I Like the SG05 more and more now, but the larger versions less and less. When you get the server up if you need help testing let us know tongue.gif
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
Reply
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial_ View Post

Take a look at the table it speaks for itself : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM.
So even if it says 666mhz, you got ddr3-1333 like your BIOS says.
Here's mine for ddr3-1600 : 402

Well, I'm stupid. redface.gif Thanks for the clarification thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy4 View Post

DDR stands for Dual Data Rate, so 666.5 * 2 = 1333 effective. Anyway, I can't wait to see this build. I Like the SG05 more and more now, but the larger versions less and less. When you get the server up if you need help testing let us know tongue.gif

Yeah, I think I assumed the worst and asked for help without paying attention to the obvious 666*2≈1333 for DDR. I've generally put memory in and forgotten about it when I've done builds, or moved the speed a simple step up (1066 to 1333 or 1333 to 1600 for example) without touching voltages and the like whenever possible.

I am equally excited to complete this, and I am very annoyed that it is a bracket of all things that keeps the build from being complete and OC-ready, but that's just how it is tongue.gif I will be taking many photos and going into detail about everything with the final assembly for sure, probably some benchmarks and such just to see how much it can handle. The case is remarkably tiny - I have a Antec P180 for my main desktop, so putting the two next to eachother is pretty comical. I will at the very least be going with mATX for my next personal build, if only because the concept of having a shoebox with such power is very exciting biggrin.gif

As far as server testing, I figured Prime95 for stability and increasingly larger TNT blocks for fun wink.gif Only when it is ready, of course
post #107 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM10000 View Post

The case is remarkably tiny - I have a Antec P180 for my main desktop, so putting the two next to eachother is pretty comical. I will at the very least be going with mATX for my next personal build, if only because the concept of having a shoebox with such power is very exciting biggrin.gif

That was my 1st impression when I bought my white SG02. However, I didn't realize how anoying it was going to be having a poorly cooled case (higher temps, so higher noise) right next to me. Since I LOVE quiet computers, I saw that it was not going to happen wih that kind of case.

Next move : buy my dream case, the Antec P183, your P180's little brother tongue.gif. More efficent cooling so lower fan speed with, very important, bigger fans which produce less noise at a lower pitch. So now, I have a huge case with few case fan and happy ears (and happy man who don't like to clean, especially inside his case wink.gif ).

Where was I going with with that? Power (GPU, CPU) needs cooling so chose ur case wisely if you don't want to end up like me buying a case to use it only for 2 weeks tongue.gif
post #108 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial_ View Post

That was my 1st impression when I bought my white SG02. However, I didn't realize how anoying it was going to be having a poorly cooled case (higher temps, so higher noise) right next to me. Since I LOVE quiet computers, I saw that it was not going to happen wih that kind of case.
Next move : buy my dream case, the Antec P183, your P180's little brother tongue.gif. More efficent cooling so lower fan speed with, very important, bigger fans which produce less noise at a lower pitch. So now, I have a huge case with few case fan and happy ears (and happy man who don't like to clean, especially inside his case wink.gif ).
Where was I going with with that? Power (GPU, CPU) needs cooling so chose ur case wisely if you don't want to end up like me buying a case to use it only for 2 weeks tongue.gif

My next build is quite a ways off tbh (in college so certainly not until I graduate), but I will probably be going for a small mATX case and paying extra for good fans. Luckily the MC server in its current state with a case fan and included cooler runs very quiet, but we will see how much noise a second 120mm fan and a pump adds in.

UPDATE: I decided to see if I could OC the RAM, and indeed I got it to 1600MHz with no changes to the voltage, simply by changing the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz and changing the timings to 10-10-10-27. Memtest (seven instances of it to use up all the memory!) checked out with no errors. I wonder if I should try pushing it further, although it will probably be a push for diminishing returns if I keep increasing the timings...

Here is MaxxMEM at the stock speed (1333):
440

And after, at 1600:
440

CPU-Z at 1600:
392
Edited by VGM10000 - 4/9/12 at 5:48pm
post #109 of 116
Nice, have you tried it at tighter timing? My last set of dimm was overclocking from 1333 to 1600 with the same timing of 9-9-9-24 without voltage modification, so I guess it's possible for others to do it too biggrin.gif.
post #110 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial_ View Post

Nice, have you tried it at tighter timing? My last set of dimm was overclocking from 1333 to 1600 with the same timing of 9-9-9-24 without voltage modification, so I guess it's possible for others to do it too biggrin.gif.

Keeping the same timings wouldn't boot, although I had been hopeful. I haven't tried tighter timings but if not increasing from default doesn't boot, wouldnt trying to shrink them cause the same? As I said earlier I haven't played with memory all that much as far as OCing goes so forgive me if I say/assume stupid things tongue.gif

Is there any sort of method to step up over time to a desired OC via playing with timings, DRAM freq. and voltage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › 500-600$ M-ITX Server for Minecraft?