Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ITw] Chinese leader asks Apple's Tim Cook to care for workers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ITw] Chinese leader asks Apple's Tim Cook to care for workers - Page 3

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrr View Post

Why does apple get all the heat for Foxconn, there are a ton of major electronics suppliers that have foxconn in their supply chain.

I was wondering this. Is it just because it's apple? and apple makes news? Cause everything is made in china and apple products are a small small part of the picture here. Your tv's, pc's, speakers, headphones, remote controls, stereo's, ups's, power bar's, extension cords, razors, kitchen appliances, furnaces, calculators, shirts, pants, jackets, shoes, pencils, pens, cutlery, and so on and so forth are made in china.

Look around you and chances are everything you see is made or it's components are made in china. The electronics are just a small part of it, and apple is just a small part of the electronics from foxconn.

And at the end of the day... do we care how chinese workers are treated? It's up to their people to make changes. Not us.
post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

Outsourcing creates the middle class in countries. A lot of businesses are actually 'in-sourcing' back to the US due to the rise in labour costs. However factories won't shift out of Asia for a while now due to geographically being close to source materials. If Chinese labour costs cost too high, they'll likely shift factories to India, not Africa as you need to be close to resources (importing raw resources costs a lot of $$$ both in shipping costs and time) but not only that, you need the labour expertise e.g. electrical engineers.

You are only forgetting one simple fact friend....

Most cost incurred to run a business is paid by the consumer, more or less.... (Thought not always)


On Topic....

I think this mentality has been seen before throughout history, that mentality is...

"Make the bloody Americans pay for it.." rolleyes.gif
Edited by _GTech - 3/31/12 at 11:06am
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Except that they didn't put the nets up because of threats, when people are actually jumping out of the windows I don't think monetary compensation is what they had in mind.
Quote:
According to Ngai and Chan,who did extensive research on the Foxconn suicides, “the Shenzhen Municipal Trade Union and Shenzhen University, based on the joint survey of 5,000 young migrant workers in Shenzhen city during April and June 2010, found that the respondents’ average monthly wage was only 1,838.6 yuan (US$267).” (Chan & Ngai 2010) If we assume that the average Foxconn production floor worker had a career span that corresponded to the workers of Ngai’s factory, 5 years, and if we take into account the fact that the Foxconn workers saw little if any pay raises in the years leading up to this event, then we can calculate the wages accrued from a factory career to amount to approximately 110,316 yuan. Now, according to Bruce Blanch, a BBC correspondent, the amount offered to a worker’s family should the worker die on site was 100,000 yuan. This means that the amount of money paid should a worker die amounted to nearly as much money as they would have made during their entire career with the factory. Assuming that one of the primary functions of going to the factory was to send money home to support the family, then the work of an entire factory career could be accomplished with one simple jump.

- http://understandingfoxconn.wordpress.com/

Not to mention:

http://www.slashgear.com/300-angry-foxconn-workers-in-china-threaten-suicide-over-pay-11208704/
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Except that they didn't put the nets up because of threats, when people are actually jumping out of the windows I don't think monetary compensation is what they had in mind.
Ok, the Chinese government has "starved 20-40 million people to death in four years" on their list of accomplishments, top that.

A strawman argument.
post #25 of 30
Might as well ask HP, Dell, Nvidia, etc to help. It's not like Apple is the only company using them.
Steak_N_Eggs
(17 items)
 
ESXi 5.x Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.36v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB x2 Samsung Spinpoint f3 1TB Donkey with Laser Pointer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 2008 Apple Cinema HD Display 23" Samsung 2443BWX Logitec K750 Solar & Steelseries Zboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair hx650w Corsair Graphite 600t Logitec M705 & Razer DeathAdder IAMS pet food Vet Clinic pad 
Audio
M-Audio Studio LX-4 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 Stock ASRock Extreme 3 970 ATX Radeon HD 2400 32GB Corsair Vengeance Black CL9  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 64MB 7200RPM Seagate 320GB 16MB 7200RPM Seagate 500GB 16MB 7200RPM CoolerMaster GeminII S524 
OSPowerCaseOther
VMWare ESXi 5.1 Corsair CX500 80 Plus CoolerMaster Elite 361 Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 "Sandy Bridge" @ 2.7GHz Apple Logic Board Intel 3000 8GB Crucial 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 - 128GB Apple Super Drive Stock OSX Mountain Lion 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 13" Apple IPS Backlit Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Steak_N_Eggs
(17 items)
 
ESXi 5.x Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.36v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB x2 Samsung Spinpoint f3 1TB Donkey with Laser Pointer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 2008 Apple Cinema HD Display 23" Samsung 2443BWX Logitec K750 Solar & Steelseries Zboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair hx650w Corsair Graphite 600t Logitec M705 & Razer DeathAdder IAMS pet food Vet Clinic pad 
Audio
M-Audio Studio LX-4 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 Stock ASRock Extreme 3 970 ATX Radeon HD 2400 32GB Corsair Vengeance Black CL9  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 64MB 7200RPM Seagate 320GB 16MB 7200RPM Seagate 500GB 16MB 7200RPM CoolerMaster GeminII S524 
OSPowerCaseOther
VMWare ESXi 5.1 Corsair CX500 80 Plus CoolerMaster Elite 361 Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 "Sandy Bridge" @ 2.7GHz Apple Logic Board Intel 3000 8GB Crucial 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 - 128GB Apple Super Drive Stock OSX Mountain Lion 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 13" Apple IPS Backlit Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
I'm glad that this is finally getting some attention from mainstream media (this is not the first time employees at foxconn have done stuff like this). But this is not something that is primarily Apples fault. I'm sure they have been aware of the conditions for long enough though so I wont be buying any apple or foxconn products anymore
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 3.6 GHz Asus M4A88TD-V Evo Saphire Radeon 4850x2 Adata 8GB 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 Seagate Baracuda 1TB +OCZ agaility 60GB SSD Sony DVD burner windows 7 ultimate+ubuntu 10.10 22" Asus & 24" Polaroid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Rosewill 850w NZXT Phantom Microsoft Sidwinder x8 
Mouse Pad
dual side rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 3.6 GHz Asus M4A88TD-V Evo Saphire Radeon 4850x2 Adata 8GB 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 Seagate Baracuda 1TB +OCZ agaility 60GB SSD Sony DVD burner windows 7 ultimate+ubuntu 10.10 22" Asus & 24" Polaroid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Rosewill 850w NZXT Phantom Microsoft Sidwinder x8 
Mouse Pad
dual side rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly4 View Post

I'm glad that this is finally getting some attention from mainstream media (this is not the first time employees at foxconn have done stuff like this). But this is not something that is primarily Apples fault. I'm sure they have been aware of the conditions for long enough though so I wont be buying any apple or foxconn products anymore

Good luck. Let's just say that keyboard of yours.....
Computer products are a dirty business. Not to mention that large multinationals offer the best work conditions as the can afford the more expensive labour and better factories.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly4 View Post

I'm glad that this is finally getting some attention from mainstream media (this is not the first time employees at foxconn have done stuff like this). But this is not something that is primarily Apples fault. I'm sure they have been aware of the conditions for long enough though so I wont be buying any apple or foxconn products anymore

You really think work conditions in other Chinese factories are better? Boycotting Apple because of this is ignorance. Work conditions where your mouse, monitor, keyboard, and clothes were made are likely worse.

Oh, and Foxconn makes products for Microsoft, Amazon, Samsung, Sony, Nintendo, Dell, HP, Cisco, and Intel as well, good luck avoiding them rolleyes.gif.

In the end it's not the consumer's role to regulate work conditions. That's laughable really. The Chinese government has the power (the absolute power, as it's a totalitarian state) to make work conditions however they like, but FYI this is exactly how they want it. They still have peasants in the countryside without electricity to worry about. They'll keep taking the billions upon billions earned with cheap labor (enforced through currency manipulation by the central gov), and once they're ready they'll work on boosting internal consumer demand.

These articles are simple attempts to get pageviews by putting Apple in the headline, nobody should ever even click on them. If they want to learn about Chinese work policies and conditions, there are better sources than "itworld.com".
Edited by mechtech - 3/31/12 at 8:12pm
VIP3R
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820k ASRock Fatal1ty X79 AMD 280x 32GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 8x Noctual IndustrialPPC Win7 64-bit X-Star PLS 90hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M mini BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850w Mountain Mods H2GO Roccat KPM 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Artisan Shiden-Kai mid CI-Audio VDA2 DAC Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 Millet Max Hybrid Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820k ASRock Fatal1ty X79 AMD 280x 32GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 8x Noctual IndustrialPPC Win7 64-bit X-Star PLS 90hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M mini BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850w Mountain Mods H2GO Roccat KPM 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Artisan Shiden-Kai mid CI-Audio VDA2 DAC Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 Millet Max Hybrid Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 30

That had crossed my mind, thanks for getting the specifics. I really have a hard time believing that five years salary would be worth dying over, but, if people are really desperate I guess rationality isn't always a top priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

A strawman argument.

Point taken. Arguing that one civilization is "less bad" doesn't help to improve anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post



Read up on Native American genocide and the number of foreign civilians killed in all the various conflicts the US has perpetrated. The nuking of two Japanese cities full of unarmed civilians is a good place to start.

Yikes, that was a good bit of reading. The timeframe is different (centuries vs four years) but the principle is the same.

Reality sucks.
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyn View Post

Lol, if they start charging more for parts looks like we might be getting US plants back. Lmao

i read an article.. it was something about there was.. 300.000 people working at foxconn, and no US city had the population to support a similar factory in the US

You'd have to move A LOT of people tongue.gif
but it would be cool if they did
The Power House
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Asus P8Z77-V Pro 680 GTX Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Performance Pro Bluray Samsung Noctua Windows 7 64 bit home premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hazro 27" IPS Steelseries 6 Corsair Gold Professional 1200W Silverstone Fortress Ft02 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 fUnc Surface Logitech Z 906 5.1 Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
The Power House
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Asus P8Z77-V Pro 680 GTX Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Performance Pro Bluray Samsung Noctua Windows 7 64 bit home premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hazro 27" IPS Steelseries 6 Corsair Gold Professional 1200W Silverstone Fortress Ft02 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 fUnc Surface Logitech Z 906 5.1 Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ITw] Chinese leader asks Apple's Tim Cook to care for workers