Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell U3011 vs Yamakasi Catleap Q270
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell U3011 vs Yamakasi Catleap Q270 - Page 2

post #11 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

Catleap is going to look better due to the better panel, no AG coating, and higher pixel density. U3011 will have an extra 160 rows or about 11% more pixels.
AG coating isn't all that bad for gaming and movies where things move around a lot, but when you are reading text or trying to focus in on something, it's horrid. I did the AG mod on my older monitor and I was amazed at what I peeled off my monitor. It was like a plastic shower curtain. If you are doing stuff where you need color correctness like Photoshop, you will benifit from not having AG coating. Here's a picture of a monitor with and without AG coating under a microscope:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/pixeltape.jpg/sr=1
I would go for the Catleap. You would also save $200.

thanks! really helpful +Rep!!
post #12 of 33
The AG coating affects films and games just as much as it does text. Bright whites blues, yellows, ect are replaced by dulled, dirty and grainy versions of these colours. Good blu-ray transfers with little film grain/noise will be quite grainy when they shouldn't. Clean photos taken with low ISO's will look like they were taken with higher ISO's.

It is not logical nor possible for the AG coating not to negatively affect the picture quality when it is as grainy as LG's coating is. How can it not affect colours in games and moving when it clearly degrades everything when shown in close up pictures. The coating does not magically come off when you watch a movie or play a game rolleyes.gif
Edited by MenacingTuba - 3/30/12 at 5:39pm
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
Reply
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

Catleap is going to look better due to the better panel, no AG coating, and higher pixel density. U3011 will have an extra 160 rows or about 11% more pixels.

AG coating isn't all that bad for gaming and movies where things move around a lot, but when you are reading text or trying to focus in on something, it's horrid. I did the AG mod on my older monitor and I was amazed at what I peeled off my monitor. It was like a plastic shower curtain. If you are doing stuff where you need color correctness like Photoshop, you will benifit from not having AG coating. Here's a picture of a monitor with and without AG coating under a microscope:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/pixeltape.jpg/sr=1

I would go for the Catleap. You would also save $200.

Don't mean to thread crap on you (OP), but WOW ^ that's incredible. eek.gif

I might even try it removing the AG on my cheapo Acer 23", after seeing that picture. Thanks for sharing.

@OP - Pass up on the Dell, get the Catleap!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 33
Personally I want some AG coating. Don't want the lights in my room glaring off my monitor. Still think the Dell is better if it still has a warranty.
Yep
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3750k P8Z77-I DELUXE R9 290x G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SanDisk Ultra II CPU/GPU Loop Windows 8.1 Crossover 44k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill mechanical  850w Rosewill Hive Corsair Air 240 Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Large Perixx Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Yep
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3750k P8Z77-I DELUXE R9 290x G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SanDisk Ultra II CPU/GPU Loop Windows 8.1 Crossover 44k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill mechanical  850w Rosewill Hive Corsair Air 240 Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Large Perixx Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 33
Buy the Samsung S27A850D if you want a 1440p display, it uses semi-glossy coating which is the lightest and least grainy matte coating out there. PLS displays don't suffer from tinting like IPS panels commonly do either, you just have to watch out for back-light bleeding; buy one from a place with a hassle free return/exchange policy. Like the U2711/3011 the Samsung has a little over 1 frame of input lag.
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
Reply
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

Buy the Samsung S27A850D if you want a 1440p display, it uses semi-glossy coating which is the lightest and least grainy matte coating out there. PLS displays don't suffer from tinting like IPS panels commonly do either, you just have to watch out for back-light bleeding, which IPS panels also suffer from. Like the U2711/3011 the Samsung has a little over 1 frame of input lag.

Sory but I'm trying to make up my mind between those two [Catleap vs Dell] wink.gif
post #17 of 33
You people are crazy. Who is saying the Catleap has a better panel than the u3011? And you guys who act like AG is the worst thing since Hitler, wth?

I have on my desk right now the older Dell 3007wfp-HC, 30", S-IPS 2560x1600 monitor with AG coating and the Catleap Q270. Image quality on the Dell is superior to the Catleap Q270. The Catleap has an 8-bit panel vs. the Dell's 10 bit and it shows with slight banding issues and overall worse color. It is a great monitor overall but to think it is better than the UltraSharp, well you guys are smoking some strong stuff.

Now the guy who mentioned response times, yes, the Catleap has one of the fastest response times I've seen on an S-IPS panel. But when you look at color gamut loss and banding issues the u3011 is the superior monitor just in terms of image quality.

Lastly my 3007wfp-HC has AG and so does the u3011 that I've had hands on time with. I guess everyone is different but it has never bothered me under normal indoor viewing conditions.

If you don't buy that u3011 from your friend you can send me his contact info as I would be willing to buy it.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

I have on my desk right now the older Dell 3007wfp-HC, 30", S-IPS 2560x1600 monitor with AG coating and the Catleap Q270. Image quality on the Dell is superior to the Catleap Q270. The Catleap has an 8-bit panel vs. the Dell's 10 bit and it shows with slight banding issues and overall worse color. It is a great monitor overall but to think it is better than the UltraSharp, well you guys are smoking some strong stuff.
Color saturation is not image quality. The 3007WFP-HC has a wider gamut panel with more saturated colors, but that doesn't mean it has better or more accurate colors.

In fact, I would recommend the Korean monitors over the Dell simply for the standard gamut. Most images and videos are not designed for wider gamuts. Many of us don't like wider gamut panels because they oversaturate everything, and there's nothing you can do about it because calibration doesn't change the gamut. Only color managed programs can display colors properly on a wide gamut panel.

The Catleap and the 3007WFP-HC are both 8 bit with no dithering. The U3011 isn't really 10 bit either. It's 8 bit with dithering to emulate 10 bit, but what good is that when the video card output is 8 bit? 10 bit is only useful if both the video card and the monitor can handle 10 bit, or if the montior's LUT can be calibrated directly, which isn't the case with the U3011. Basically, it's pointless because you can't really use it.

The Catleap doesn't have any banding issues at all, and 8-bit vs. 10-bit has no effect on color saturation or contrast or anything like that.

Another reason to recommend the Catleap over the U3011 is the U3011 has a one frame lag while the Catleap doesn't.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX View Post

Color saturation is not image quality. The 3007WFP-HC has a wider gamut panel with more saturated colors, but that doesn't mean it has better or more accurate colors.
In fact, I would recommend the Korean monitors over the Dell simply for the standard gamut. Most images and videos are not designed for wider gamuts. Many of us don't like wider gamut panels because they oversaturate everything, and there's nothing you can do about it because calibration doesn't change the gamut. Only color managed programs can display colors properly on a wide gamut panel.
The Catleap and the 3007WFP-HC are both 8 bit with no dithering. The U3011 isn't really 10 bit either. It's 8 bit with dithering to emulate 10 bit, but what good is that when the video card output is 8 bit? 10 bit is only useful if both the video card and the monitor can handle 10 bit, or if the montior's LUT can be calibrated directly, which isn't the case with the U3011. Basically, it's pointless because you can't really use it.
The Catleap doesn't have any banding issues at all, and 8-bit vs. 10-bit has no effect on color saturation or contrast or anything like that.
Another reason to recommend the Catleap over the U3011 is the U3011 has a one frame lag while the Catleap doesn't.

Sweet lordy jesus someone knows what they're talking about. Nice. thumb.gif
post #20 of 33
My advice is to never buy a wide gamut display unless you are a professional who absolutely needs the extended gamut for work reasons. I own an HP LP2475w, and really regretted not getting an sRGB panel instead. I wouldn't take the Dell over the Korean monitors even if they were the same price, let alone $200 more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell U3011 vs Yamakasi Catleap Q270