Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Could a a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4ghz push a 7870?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Could a a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4ghz push a 7870?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm not expecting constant 99% usage, but is it worth the upgrade from a 560 ti 1gb to a 2gb 7870?(note: this isn't for me, but the sig rig is my brother's and he'll have money to blow, but still wants it to be worth it)
post #2 of 11
I don't see why not. The 7870 is just the 6970 with a die-shrink and I have seen plenty of 6970's paired up with 965's.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Depends what game, most cases yes. But in cpu bound games definatley not, I have a 960t overclocked to 4ghz and It couldnt even keep up with my 6970 and killing my gtx580 atm. In tera(mmo) Im getting 30-60 percent gpu usage. Crysis 2 I was even getting 80-90 percent gpu usage. Bf3 is usually 100 percent usage though if thats what your mainly getting it for. Im just about to switch to a 2500k to do the 580 justice.

The phenoms have really started to show there age latley sadly, has done me well until now but It would be sad to hold back a 7 series or 6series nvidia with one of these.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector View Post

Depends what game, most cases yes. But in cpu bound games definatley not, I have a 960t overclocked to 4ghz and It couldnt even keep up with my 6970 and killing my gtx580 atm. In tera(mmo) Im getting 30-60 percent gpu usage. Crysis 2 I was even getting 80-90 percent gpu usage. Bf3 is usually 100 percent usage though if thats what your mainly getting it for. Im just about to switch to a 2500k to do the 580 justice.
The phenoms have really started to show there age latley sadly, has done me well until now but It would be sad to hold back a 7 series or 6series nvidia with one of these.

are you talking about tera online as the op on the thread below is/was having problem with?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1235305/loading-up-my-cores-while-gaming#post_16825888

might want to get in touch with the op.

does your 960T unlocks? if it does i might be interested in buying it.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Ye it unlocks, Oh never seen that thread before. Could be a issue with the game then ty.
post #6 of 11
overclocked to 4.0, I don't the the bottleneck will be extremely noticeable. I'm running two 560's in sli with my 965 at 4.0, and they will out perform a 580 with out even trying, In fact, overclocked, they get about 8700 graphics score in 3dmark11 when a stock 7870 will get around a 9100. (please correct me if I'm wrong) thumb.gif

ps: what resolution are you running at?
Edited by .theMetal - 3/30/12 at 8:57pm
The Donbot
(12 items)
 
Crushinator
(10 items)
 
Lenovo T450S
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2320 Asrock H61M-VG4 EVGA GTX 970 8gig Samsung LowPro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb/WD Black 640gb Asus 24 inch (1080p) Sades Mechanical w/blues Rosewill Hive 550 
CaseMouse
Apevia X-ENERQ Pink Logitec G100s 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5300u @ 2.90 Lenovo HD Graphics 5500 12 gigs 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 250g SSD Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
The Donbot
(12 items)
 
Crushinator
(10 items)
 
Lenovo T450S
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2320 Asrock H61M-VG4 EVGA GTX 970 8gig Samsung LowPro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb/WD Black 640gb Asus 24 inch (1080p) Sades Mechanical w/blues Rosewill Hive 550 
CaseMouse
Apevia X-ENERQ Pink Logitec G100s 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5300u @ 2.90 Lenovo HD Graphics 5500 12 gigs 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 250g SSD Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .theMetal View Post

overclocked to 4.0, I don't the the bottleneck will be extremely noticeable. I'm running two 560's in sli with my 965 at 4.0, and they will out perform a 580 with out even trying, In fact, overclocked, they get about 8700 graphics score in 3dmark11 when a stock 7870 will get around a 9100. (please correct me if I'm wrong) thumb.gif
ps: what resolution are you running at?

Ah that's good to hear. I'll be running at 1080p
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post

Ah that's good to hear. I'll be running at 1080p

Why so low? That video card will be capable of a good deal more.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madengineer View Post

Why so low? That video card will be capable of a good deal more.

? Because that's my monitor's max res? I'm asking if my CPU has enough power to run that GPU at high usages is all, not how the GPU performs at higher res's, I already know that, but if my CPU isn't up to snuff I won't come close to using this card to it's potential, which is why I'm asking.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post

? Because that's my monitor's max res? I'm asking if my CPU has enough power to run that GPU at high usages is all, not how the GPU performs at higher res's, I already know that, but if my CPU isn't up to snuff I won't come close to using this card to it's potential, which is why I'm asking.

Weird....But anyway, it'll use it quite significantly. Basically the same as a 2500k. You wouldnt get any higher FPS even if you changed the CPU.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Could a a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4ghz push a 7870?