[Fan Sleeving Time!]
I sadly don't have any good news about my case, but I figured in the meantime there are still some things I can work on to keep the build rolling while I wait on the last critical piece to arrive.
So this weekend I set aside some time to start working with the MDPC sleeving I ordered.
I'm going to wait until I have the case before sleeving the power supply cables - I want to make sure everything is just the right length, and I won't be able to tell that until the case is here. However, the fan cables are all going to end up using extensions and merging cables (so I can hook up 2-3 fans to one fan connector) so sleeving an initial part of the fan cable seems like a safe thing to do at this point.
The process was a bit troublesome at first, but even the first fan turned out pretty well I think.
[1 down, 16 to go! This was my first fan - after about the 5th or 6th fan I was doing a cleaner job in much less time]
There are a few adjustments I had to make to the fan chassis . . . this picture shows where the cables are normally routed, but with the sleeving, everything is a bit too thick to fit in here. However, a quick snip with the … snips … puts everything in the right once again.
[Trimming the fan body]
The top groove, on the right/center of the photo in the fan chassis shows the width post-trimming; the bottom groove directly under it, shown here on the left side of the photo, shows the original width.
[Post Trim]This how-to by Lutro0
outlines the process perfectly. At first I wasn't too keen on using superglue, but ended up being quite helpful to keep everything in place. You can't be too aggressive with the heat shrink on the fan-side on the sleeving, as you will singe the dust-cover/sticker that the heatshink rests right beside - if you are, the sticker starts to get all melty and gross :-( Thus, I used superglue as recommended by Lutro0 to get the sleeving in the right position while still keeping it tight.
[The superglue box worked as a great shield incase of accidental glue drips]
Here is what the Gentle Typhoons look like after having the ugly white fan connector replace with a black connector, as well as having the red, yellow and black cables sleeved.
[A Sleeved GT]
I ended up sleeving an even dozen Gentle Typoons, as well as 5 Nosieblocker fans. The first few fans felt tricky, but it became fun and satisfying work after I got more comfortable with the process. It is tedious, but I certainly recommend it based on the results and feeling of satisfaction it gives.
To conclude, BONUS CAT PHOTO!!!!
[She was interested in the sleeving work at first, but soon got sleepy]Edited by Kallor - 4/22/12 at 5:50pm