[Getting Those Cables Managed]
This weekend I had a good amount of time to work on the build, and I'm very happy with the progress I made. One major thing I wanted to tackle was cable management, including getting the PSU cables sleeved.
I took this as a 'before' shot . . .
[PSU to motherboard cable, pre-sleeving]
I addition to taking photos so I could insure I kept all the wires in the right places during the sleeving process, I also made up a quick diagram mapping which wire went where...
[Sloppy but decipherable wire mapping diagram]
Of course things don't always turn out as you expect or would like, and my PSU sleeving was one of these things
. The above photo shows my wire mapping diagram, and also shows two pin removal tools. These tools, which are somewhat like tweezers (they have two slightly flexible flat ends) are used to dislodge the small female pins in PSU cables. This process is a bit tricky, and can involve pushing on the pin extractor while tugging on the wire. From what I've read online, and the tutorial videos I've watched, some pins are particurlarly stubborn. Well in my case, nearly every pin was firmly stuck - and after managing to remove about 20 pins, I'd broken not one, but two, pin removal tools
. If you look at the above photo carefully, you can see each of the two pin removers is missing on of their 'teeth'.
I chalk up my tools breaking to a combination of bad technique and having some particularly well-attached pins. Either way, the process was more frustrating than fun, so I buckled and ordered some pre-sleeved PSU cables (these cables from Corsair
should be compatible with my Seasonic PSU).
With that decision made, I spent the rest of my available time on crimping, soldering and sleeving various fan extension and merging cables, wiring and connecting the power button and light switch, and other various adapters and wiring tasks.
[Power button and light switch]
The bottom button latches when pressed, and turns my cases interior lights on and off. The center light blinks in time with the HDD access. The top button is a normal power switch.
I've gotten a solid start on cable management, but there is still some sleeving work and cable routing to be done. I've also gotten the reservoir installed, which was super easy thanks to the thoughtfully laid out mounting holes pre-drilled into the motherboard tray.
[Reservoir and partial cable management/sleeving]
I've also now got two of four HDDs installed and I've made and sleeving my fan merging/extension cables for connecting the fans from the bottom two radiators to the Aquaero PowerAdjust 2's that will power them.
[Behind the motherboard tray]
Thanks everyone for tuning in - by this time next week I should have some much neater looking photos to share!