Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › "Boot loop" (or what I think to be one?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Boot loop" (or what I think to be one?)

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
well, I know that others have been having the same issue with the gigabyte z68 motherboard, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm experiencing the same issues or a completely different issue (that is not due to "poor" manufacturing)

I started experiencing boot loop problems as soon as I had properly connected the board. I had only plugged in the hard drive, monitor and PSU. At the time, the boot loop would be prevented as soon as I unplugged the SATA connector from my PSU to my harddrive.

so, logically, I thought that the boot loop was caused by the psu; I bought a new psu. It was only once I'd bought the new psu (750w upgrade from previous 600w) that I had discovered my problem still persisted.

I'm running the d3h model and an LGA 1155 3.4ghz cpu (2500 - not overclocked)

with that being said, I've reset CMOS by both pulling out the battery and shorting the pins (still the same issue)

at this point the only thing I believe the problem to be is a) the RAM (since it isn't ddr3, but I still receive boot loops with no ram plugged in) or b) a broken motherboard

more facts:

- the computer does not load up ANYTHING on display, completely black before it boot loops again
- my ram is incompatible with my board, it's basically ram that came from my old build which was pre purchased as a dell build (don't worry - it wasn't my idea http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/server/categories/memory/4/accessories/500670-S21)

etc, etc
post #2 of 6
So you're asking about a "boot loop" on a motherboard that has no ram in it? The computer is not going to boot unless you have memory, cpu and all the proper power plugged in - I'd recommend completing the build first and then checking if there is an issue thumb.gif
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

So you're asking about a "boot loop" on a motherboard that has no ram in it? The computer is not going to boot unless you have memory, cpu and all the proper power plugged in - I'd recommend completing the build first and then checking if there is an issue thumb.gif

there is a ram installed bro, read the full story, the problem is that, the ram isn't compatible with his board because it's not ddr3, he just took it from his old pc.

i wonder how he manage to install it in the first place?
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

there is a ram installed bro, read the full story, the problem is that, the ram isn't compatible with his board because it's not ddr3, he just took it from his old pc.
i wonder how he manage to install it in the first place?

I dunno, will the computer boot loop without ram? I'm not sure to be honest. A friend said that if there isn't anything being displayed on screen upon boot (not even entering post) then something is wrong with the motherboard. For all intensive purposes: I don't have any ram plugged in, tongue.gif

but yeah - everything is plugged in (cpu, psu, etc)

I guess the real question is whether or not a boot loop is caused by a lack of ram :/
Edited by lacasse - 3/31/12 at 7:28am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacasse View Post

I dunno, will the computer boot loop without ram? I'm not sure to be honest. A friend said that if there isn't anything being displayed on screen upon boot (not even entering post) then something is wrong with the motherboard. For all intensive purposes: I don't have any ram plugged in, tongue.gif
but yeah - everything is plugged in (cpu, psu, etc)
I guess the real question is whether or not a boot loop is caused by a lack of ram :/

it won't boot at all without ram bro.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

it won't boot at all without ram bro.

O.K, I'll try buying some ddr3 ram and see if it fixes the problem cap.gif

but my pc does boot, it just doesn't get into post and won't beep to inform me there is no ram installed before it restarts
Edited by lacasse - 3/31/12 at 8:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › "Boot loop" (or what I think to be one?)