Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › video editing software similar to the good ol movie maker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

video editing software similar to the good ol movie maker

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
hey guys, heres my issue at the moment, im recording a crap ton of GoPro videos, 720p 60fps setting on the cam, the clips are huge and im looking to downsize them but not loose a huge amount of quality on the video itself. T

he old movie maker was pretty decent about the whole encoding and end result, but unfortunately i havent found a program to replace it with.

The video properties are as follows:
3 minutes 50 seconds of capture
videostuff.png


im trying to get the size down mainly, as i dont want to sit here and hand out 4 gb clips with only 15 minutes or so of capture, my main goal is to get it to format for a dvd / cut / edit / insert transitions and little text fields if possible and would love to have an option for a youtube downsize.


thanks in advance!
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post

hey guys, heres my issue at the moment, im recording a crap ton of GoPro videos, 720p 60fps setting on the cam, the clips are huge and im looking to downsize them but not loose a huge amount of quality on the video itself. T
he old movie maker was pretty decent about the whole encoding and end result, but unfortunately i havent found a program to replace it with.
The video properties are as follows:
3 minutes 50 seconds of capture
videostuff.png
im trying to get the size down mainly, as i dont want to sit here and hand out 4 gb clips with only 15 minutes or so of capture, my main goal is to get it to format for a dvd / cut / edit / insert transitions and little text fields if possible and would love to have an option for a youtube downsize.
thanks in advance!

What file format is the GoPro saving these videos as? Often times you will be able to convert to a different file type and get a much smaller file.

You're talking about windows movie maker, yes?

You can now get it as Windows Live Movie Maker

Hope at least some of this helped!
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpack101 View Post

What file format is the GoPro saving these videos as? Often times you will be able to convert to a different file type and get a much smaller file.
You're talking about windows movie maker, yes?
You can now get it as Windows Live Movie Maker
Hope at least some of this helped!

i was referring to the classic movie maker back in the XP days wink.gif sorry i should ve specified that one.

the gopro saves as .mp4 as far as i can tell, if theres a video spec tool that i could get you the whole info a bit cleaner then from windows, feel free to let me know, im kinda new to the whole video editing stuff, as i usually just cut and edited some ingame footage, but now with the quad gatherings its more essential for me to be able to cut and make nice dvds with clips from the meetings and ride outs

the new movie maker just doesnt look / feel the same to me frown.gif and i think im kinda looking more into something with a bit more capabilities tbh
post #4 of 4
Oh yeah I remember that, it did have that certain feel that just made editing simple video quite nice.

Supposedly you can download windows movie maker (2.6) which I believe is different than the newer windows live version.

I'm sorry but I use Adobe Premiere (through school license), but might be switching over to avid media composer soon.
Quote:
if theres a video spec tool that i could get you the whole info a bit cleaner then from windows, feel free to let me know

I haven't really used something of the sort (but I guess it is a good thing to have in one's repertoire. Found one that I might try here

Once you find a video editor that you like, wmv isn't a bad way to go (I believe avi gets rid of too much quality)
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › video editing software similar to the good ol movie maker