Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › echo "The `uname` Club" (NEW POLL)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

echo "The `uname` Club" (NEW POLL) - Page 165

Poll Results: How long have you been using your current, main installation?

 
  • 24% (50)
    less then a month
  • 23% (47)
    less then six months
  • 14% (30)
    less then a year
  • 24% (49)
    less then three years
  • 13% (27)
    three years+
203 Total Votes  
post #1641 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

I'm doing it with the USB that came with it. See I recall it using one of the ext filesystems but didn't know which one and didn't see any reason why this 2GB cut off exists...couldn't find any other posts claiming this issue...most were old post back with devices with FAT32 or sd cards like Plan9 suggested but again I don't even make 4GB of transfer before it stops.

PS: Could this be some problem with KDE's mtp or with mtp in general? Is there a way to try copying things through terminal to an mtp device?

I'm very sure it is using an ext3/4 filesystem. I'm just not sure which. But both of their limits are >=2TB (I believe), so that shouldn't be a limitation. I just tested myself (using a Nexus 4, but should be similar from a software prespective), and I'm able to copy a 2.7G file using Dolphin/KDE/kio-mtp (which I assume you are using). No errors, just seemed to finish correctly.

If you want to try bypassing KDE, there a suite of tools for using with mtp. I'm not sure what package they come in (I have them from the libmtp package in Gentoo). There is also mtpfs. It takes a long time to mount, but once it does it generally works.

Also, is the version of Linux you are using 64bit or 32bit? If something is using the "int" type internally, it might fail on a 32bit system while succeeding on 64bit (since int is defined differently). I'm not sure otherwise what could be up.
post #1642 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post

Also, is the version of Linux you are using 64bit or 32bit? If something is using the "int" type internally, it might fail on a 32bit system while succeeding on 64bit (since int is defined differently). I'm not sure otherwise what could be up.
It's not even as clear cut as that as different programming languages can cast int differently and many languages even have different int types - most of which are a static size regardless of the CPU word size.

Plus I'd be very surprised if this was an int overflow because that strikes me as a bit of a schoolboy error. However he could easily check that by running an strace on the file transfer routine's PID
post #1643 of 4043
Well I'm in x64 Kubuntu. @Plan9 How would I go about doing what you suggested? Just using PS -a or what? I figure we'll try that and then I'll try what MJD suggests.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1644 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

It's not even as clear cut as that as different programming languages can cast int differently and many languages even have different int types - most of which are a static size regardless of the CPU word size.

Plus I'd be very surprised if this was an int overflow because that strikes me as a bit of a schoolboy error. However he could easily check that by running an strace on the file transfer routine's PID

While I agree with you in general, both libmtp and kio-mtp/KDE are written in C/C++ (for the parts we are dealing with). So only C/C++'s rules around ints matter. And it would be easy to make sure an error if one is not thinking about such issues. I remember there was a bug in Firefox for the longest time when dealing with files over 2G, back when firefox was at its ~1.0 version. It took several releases to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Well I'm in x64 Kubuntu. @Plan9 How would I go about doing what you suggested? Just using PS -a or what? I figure we'll try that and then I'll try what MJD suggests.

Strace is a separate program that watches what system calls are being made. You can attach to an existing process by running:
Code:
strace -f -p pid
replacing pid with the process id. Although, since kio-mtp is using the mtp protocol, that may not give the necessary information to see if an int is used incorrectly.

What version of libmtp/kio-mtp/KDE do you have installed on your machine? Since you are using x64, the int problem shouldn't exist. And I know I was able to transfer a file across.

Lastly, double check and make sure you have the space to transfer the file. Maybe it is something simple like that.
post #1645 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Well I'm in x64 Kubuntu. @Plan9 How would I go about doing what you suggested? Just using PS -a or what? I figure we'll try that and then I'll try what MJD suggests.

yup, use ps to find the PID, then strace -ppid to run strace
post #1646 of 4043
@MJD: How would I go about finding the kio-mtp version? Would it be related to what version of KDE I'm using? And yes, it's not a space issue as the file is 10GB and my phone reports 24GB available.

@Plan9 & MJD: Dumb question...but do I need to be trying a file transfer during the strace? I figure yes so I'm starting another attempt of the file transfer with the same file. I'll report whatever terminal spits out when it fails. rolleyes.gif

Umm...without sudo it won't let me attach to the process (it's words) and with sudo it spits out a rapid fire stream of stuff. Help? redface.gif

UPDATE:
Output time
Stop at 2GB output (Click to show)
Code:
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB or USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB32, 0xde40c0) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, TFD_TIMER_ABSTIME, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={10859, 508712000}}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=11, events=POLLIN}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLOUT}], 3, 60000) = 1 ([{fd=14, revents=POLLOUT}])
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY or USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY32, 0x7fff96ed2ef8) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB or USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB32, 0xde40c0) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, TFD_TIMER_ABSTIME, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={10859, 510633000}}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=11, events=POLLIN}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLOUT}], 3, 60000) = 1 ([{fd=14, revents=POLLOUT}])
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY or USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY32, 0x7fff96ed2f28) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
Then it repeats the last line a couple hundred times before this
Code:
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
select(7, [6], [6], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [6])
write(6, "  172c_6a_\0\0\0\33\0\0\0\t\1\0\0\20\0\0\0\24\0v\0i\0d"..., 5942) = 5942
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
select(7, [6], [6], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [6])
write(6, "     0_68_", 10)              = 10
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
select(7, [6], [], NULL, NULL^C <unfinished ...>

Have no idea what's up and why it stops at 2GB every time.
Edited by Rookie1337 - 10/13/13 at 10:00am
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1647 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post

While I agree with you in general, both libmtp and kio-mtp/KDE are written in C/C++ (for the parts we are dealing with). So only C/C++'s rules around ints matter.
Yes I know that. But most of the int types in C++ don't change in size depending on the CPU word size. Plus, as I said before, it would be a monumentally dumb programming error if the int overflowed - regardless of the word size - due to the file size.

But since Rookie is running 64bit Linux anyway, yours would fail the same as his if it was to do with the word sizes like you suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post

And it would be easy to make sure an error if one is not thinking about such issues.
But when building a file transfer routine, understanding the varying file sizes would be one of the first things to think about (I know from experience because about 10 or so years ago I did write my own routine - and that was the first thing I accounted for)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post

I remember there was a bug in Firefox for the longest time when dealing with files over 2G, back when firefox was at its ~1.0 version. It took several releases to fix.
I don't recall that bug. Quite surprised at mozilla over that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

@MJD: How would I go about finding the kio-mtp version? Would it be related to what version of KDE I'm using? And yes, it's not a space issue as the file is 10GB and my phone reports 24GB available.

@Plan9 & MJD: Dumb question...but do I need to be trying a file transfer during the strace? I figure yes so I'm starting another attempt of the file transfer with the same file. I'll report whatever terminal spits out when it fails. rolleyes.gif

Umm...without sudo it won't let me attach to the process (it's words) and with sudo it spits out a rapid fire stream of stuff. Help? redface.gif

Just let strace's output scroll past. Then when your transfer fails, the last few lines of strace should give you a clue as to the fault.
Edited by Plan9 - 10/13/13 at 10:13am
post #1648 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

UPDATE:
Output time
Stop at 2GB output (Click to show)
Code:
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB or USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB32, 0xde40c0) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, TFD_TIMER_ABSTIME, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={10859, 508712000}}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=11, events=POLLIN}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLOUT}], 3, 60000) = 1 ([{fd=14, revents=POLLOUT}])
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY or USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY32, 0x7fff96ed2ef8) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB or USBDEVFS_SUBMITURB32, 0xde40c0) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, TFD_TIMER_ABSTIME, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={10859, 510633000}}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=11, events=POLLIN}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLOUT}], 3, 60000) = 1 ([{fd=14, revents=POLLOUT}])
ioctl(14, USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY or USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY32, 0x7fff96ed2f28) = 0
timerfd_settime(13, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
Then it repeats the last line a couple hundred times before this
Code:
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
select(7, [6], [6], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [6])
write(6, "  172c_6a_\0\0\0\33\0\0\0\t\1\0\0\20\0\0\0\24\0v\0i\0d"..., 5942) = 5942
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
select(7, [6], [6], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [6])
write(6, "     0_68_", 10)              = 10
write(3, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=3519, ...}) = 0
select(7, [6], [], NULL, NULL^C <unfinished ...>

Have no idea what's up and why it stops at 2GB every time.

hmmm, that doesn't really give much away. Dumb question, but you have enough disk space on your device? Have you tried using another transfer protocol (eg SFTP)?
How much RAM do you have on your PC/laptop and do you have a swap file/partition?
post #1649 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

hmmm, that doesn't really give much away. Dumb question, but you have enough disk space on your device? Have you tried using another transfer protocol (eg SFTP)?
How much RAM do you have on your PC/laptop and do you have a swap file/partition?

Already answered the space question: 24GB free on the phone trying to transfer a 10GB file to that.

SFTP? Not sure what that is.

Have about 12GB of RAM with no swap and my RAM usage didn't increase during the transfer. Nor is there any change in my df -h output during the transfer. EDIT: Reason I checked df -h is to see if my mounting of some things into tmpfs affected anything but they don't seem to.
Edited by Rookie1337 - 10/13/13 at 10:29am
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1650 of 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Already answered the space question: 24GB free on the phone trying to transfer a 10GB file to that.

SFTP? Not sure what that is.

Have about 12GB of RAM with no swap and my RAM usage didn't increase during the transfer. Nor is there any change in my df -h output during the transfer. EDIT: Reason I checked df -h is to see if my mounting of some things into tmpfs affected anything but they don't seem to.

SFTP is the SSH equivalent of FTP. You can try any protocol you want though, the point was to eliminate the possibility that it's a fault with the mtp server* on the phone.

* whatever form that takes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › echo "The `uname` Club" (NEW POLL)