Originally Posted by xXSpitFireXx
I thing you guys are not understanding what the OP needs. Just by looking at his sig and reading his first post you can tell he is not going to shell out cash for a new mobo/cpu and ram. All he needs is a faster CPU to get better frame rates for both games suggested above. He clearly has a nice bottleneck that can easily be loosened up by upgrading his CPU.
You have a point. I had some cash for an upgrade, that i "wasted" in a new graphic card.
I have read posts, search the web for SCI tests, thus I am interested by the i3, but that would mean :
- i3 (110 euros) + mobo (80 euros ?) + 4-8 Go Ram DDR3 (70-100 euros) = 250-280 euros.
- fresh install of windows 7 (because new mobo) = 287 updates + all my current softwares and this would be clearly a pain for me. Add to this I can't find for the moment my W7 + Adobe CS4 licence (product key), so I'm ****ed.
And in an other way, I feel disgusted, having thrown that cash in such a (underused) graphic card that does not help me. And that's my fault I know.
seems to be the Phenom II X4 965 BE
Originally Posted by Cannon19932006
The best upgrade path for you without upgrading your board is a Phenom IIX4 945, which is supported by bios revision 5001 on your motherboard (beta support only)
I have checked on asus forum, it seems to work.
But I'm not still out of hell.
- by the SCII tests, a quad core is a waste, so i could go with the X2 555... (what about the incoming games like diablo III ? use of quad core ?)
- i will need to flash the BIOS ; i have never done that, and it's a bit scary. (something goes wrong, you're ****ed)
- some feedback users tell that the 965 stock cooler is very loud, loudness (or quietness) is an important factor ; so i could add a noctua cooler (50 euros)
- i could be then very borderline from a PSU point (mine is antec 500 w) (80 euros)
Add the 110 euros for the 965 and we're in the 230 euros range...
I wish I could find a real and stable solution for 100 or 130 euros, but there's a risk if i only go for the CPU.
I know that's a lot of points to avercome, but I can't stay like that. I think of that nearly all my day work...