Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Sleeving question, regarding heat shrink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sleeving question, regarding heat shrink

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So I started Sleeving yesterday and I'm having alot of trouble getting the connectors to slide back in after they have heat shrink on them.

Any tips? Would buying different heat shrink help? I bought mine at Lowes.

Thanks!
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Warm the shrink up again briefly before inserting into the connector. Check also that your sleeving isn't held too close to the crimp pins.
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Warm the shrink up again briefly before inserting into the connector. Check also that your sleeving isn't held too close to the crimp pins.

I have tried warming them and the shrink in many different locations but it still doesn't want to go inside the connector. Are some shrinks thinner than others?
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
The way I got it to work is by trimming the heatshrink. I put the heatshrink all the way to the two fins and this usually causes it to get stuck before being fully inserted. This makes it makes it too thick at the front so I cut about a millimeter or two off. This allows it to go in the connector all the way.
Scholarship Money
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Z77 Sabertooth ASUS DirectCU 5850 Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Black Caviar Samsung SH-2332L Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 2x U2311H Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic Platinum 860w  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Scholarship Money
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Z77 Sabertooth ASUS DirectCU 5850 Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Black Caviar Samsung SH-2332L Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 2x U2311H Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic Platinum 860w  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
is it the heatshrink? or are you putting the pin back in the wrong way? there is only one way the pin will slide in
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared872 View Post

I have tried warming them and the shrink in many different locations but it still doesn't want to go inside the connector. Are some shrinks thinner than others?

Yes different shrinks can have different sizes. But now I'm wondering if you perhaps have wire that's too thick. Ideal diameter for the wire insulation is between 2.0mm and 2.4mm.
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
The most important factors with heatshrink is how small it can shrink (3:1 or 4:1 and its original diameter) and how thick the wall is. If you have lets say 1/4 hs tubing and its only 2:1 (wich most dept and home improvement is) no matter what you do it will not work cleanly unless you move the heatshrink way up the connector as the heatshrink will simply just add too much bulk for it and the wire and sleeve to fit into the connector.

Wire size is another thing to have in mind, 16awg wire is almost impossible to sleeve with heatshrink cleanly, not totally impossible just hard. Your best bet is a 18awg stranded wire with a good thin coating.

In my sleeving faq I give a source to a cheap 3:1 thin walled heatshrink that works ok, however the best precut heatshrink is from MDPC. This is coming from a ton of experiences in sleeving and using many different types of sleeving.

Technique is only part of the equation, if you dont have the right materials it just wont work.

Please feel free to ask any more questions if you have any. thumb.gif
Edited by Lutro0 - 4/7/12 at 9:25pm
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 View Post

The most important factors with heatshrink is how small it can shrink (3:1 or 4:1 and its original diameter) and how thick the wall is. If you have lets say 1/4 hs tubing and its only 2:1 (wich most dept and home improvement is) no matter what you do it will not work cleanly unless you move the heatshrink way up the connector as the heatshrink will simply just add too much bulk for it and the wire and sleeve to fit into the connector.
Wire size is another thing to have in mind, 16awg wire is almost impossible to sleeve with heatshrink cleanly, not totally impossible just hard. Your best bet is a 18awg stranded wire with a good thin coating.
In my sleeving faq I give a source to a cheap 3:1 thin walled heatshrink that works ok, however the best precut heatshrink is from MDPC. This is coming from a ton of experiences in sleeving and using many different types of sleeving.
Technique is only part of the equation, if you dont have the right materials it just wont work.
Please feel free to ask any more questions if you have any. thumb.gif

Thanks man, I have looked through all of your information in the past a few times. I will try to order some of that 3:1 HS and see if that helps. The HS I got from lowes is 2:1 so that may be my problem. I also might just try to sleeve with no HS since I am using paracord.

Will report back.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared872 View Post

Thanks man, I have looked through all of your information in the past a few times. I will try to order some of that 3:1 HS and see if that helps. The HS I got from lowes is 2:1 so that may be my problem. I also might just try to sleeve with no HS since I am using paracord.
Will report back.

thumb.gif
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 View Post

thumb.gif

I decided to try no HS, I think it looks great!

More pics in my build log.

LL
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 4.7 Ghz AsRock Fatality Professional 990FX Gigabyte 7950 1100/1575 GSkills 2 x 8 GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 120GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1 TB  Sandisk 240 GB SSD XSPC Rasa Rs240 Kit 
OSCase
windows 8 pro Coolermaster HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Hardware Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Sleeving question, regarding heat shrink