9800GX2 Hardware setup
See my diagram below.
1) Connect the DVI output (via DVI-to-DVI cable) to the DVI input of the monitor.
2) Connect the HDMI output (via HDMI-to-HDMI cable) to the HDMI input of the TV (see Sony TV setup below)
http://clm.nvidia.com/object/sli-technology-multimonitor-la.htmlNvidia Control Panel setup for Multiple Display
1) Make sure both the monitor and the TV are recognized properly.
2) Make sure both are checked.Windows Sound setup
Go to Windows Sound to set Nvidia's HDMI/Digital Output as the Default
(You can configure this part as well as Nvidia's setting under Nvidia Control Panel's Set Up Digial Audio
.Sony TV setup
1) Make sure the Input Source of the Sony HDTV is selected as the corresponding HDMI. HDTV does not auto detect incoming signal. If the input source is not properly designated, the TV will give 'no signal source' message.
2) I do not know the model number of your Sony HDTV and so I cannot give specific direction. But a HDTV usually has one of the HDMI inputs marked specially for PC/HDMI/DVI usage. Use that before trying out the other HDMI input ports. Often it is HDMI1
or HDMI IN 1
(DVI). Check your User Manual to be certain which is the one.Edited by windfire - 4/7/12 at 12:45am