Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Joystiq] Mick Capps: Epic Games has a PC-exclusive game in the works
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Joystiq] Mick Capps: Epic Games has a PC-exclusive game in the works - Page 9

post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hax View Post

Halo isn't too bad, but the control scheme and auto-aim are what set me off. Analog sticks are inferior and impose limitations (maximum turn rate).
As for the other games, it's just not the same. They are far more forgiving. For example, a competitive player will do exceptionally well vs. pub players - but they can't go 50-0 at will, repeatable every game.
For me, take the USA MLG winner, HeCTiC. Every few nights this guy would show up in the public DM server I played on and declare he was going to win some number of games without dying. It would be the only thing he'd ever type - "I'm going to win 4 games without dying, then leave". And he did it flawlessly. Every single time. I absolutely loved that the mechanics of the game allowed someone, if they were good enough, to win an FFA of 15-20 people without a single death (even when the majority of the server's players were ONLY trying to kill him). Even other decently skilled players would hop in and try to kill him to no avail.
That is the sole reason I decided to learn UT. The day I watched him do that I decided I wanted to be capable of it and started practicing.
Approximately 1500 hours of play later, I was capable of doing that. The speed and mechanics of a game like UT leave you with an endless learning curve. To this day I could make a list of things I should learn to do while playing, movement, tricks, etc... but it would take hundreds more hours before I could pull it off regularly. That's what keeps it exciting and keeps me coming back. The fact that even after (literally) months of play time there are still tens, maybe hundreds of bluntly obvious flaws in my gameplay that I could work on... that is a game that requires skill.

Well yeah the pad is an obvious limitation. Still though my brother for example was a really exceptional Halo 3 player. From the sounds of it about where you were in UT not the absolute top but very good. There was definitely a skill gap between him and me and him in other players in the non-MLG play lists. Perhaps not on UT or Quakes level I mean the speed of the game is obviously no where near comparable but you can definitely be good at these other games.

Some games require a different kind of skill too. Where as UT is all about super quick reflexes a game like Red Orchestra or Arma is more about careful planning and team execution. Getting your machine gunners into the right position, making sure your rifleman are covering gaps etc etc.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Well yeah the pad is an obvious limitation. Still though my brother for example was a really exceptional Halo 3 player. From the sounds of it about where you were in UT not the absolute top but very good. There was definitely a skill gap between him and me and him in other players in the non-MLG play lists. Perhaps not on UT or Quakes level I mean the speed of the game is obviously no where near comparable but you can definitely be good at these other games.
Some games require a different kind of skill too. Where as UT is all about super quick reflexes a game like Red Orchestra or Arma is more about careful planning and team execution. Getting your machine gunners into the right position, making sure your rifleman are covering gaps etc etc.

Newer games reduce individual skill cap. Arcade shooters are not realistic but they require much more individual skill than newer games.

Newer FPS games are aimed more at casual gamers with how they slow down players with good reflexes and precision. Level up systems and unlocks are more about power leveling than actual action skills.
post #83 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

Newer games reduce individual skill cap. Arcade shooters are not realistic but they require much more individual skill than newer games.
Newer FPS games are aimed more at casual gamers with how they slow down players with good reflexes and precision. Level up systems and unlocks are more about power leveling than actual action skills.

I guess my point is there is more out there then Battlefield and Call of Duty which in regards to those two games I totally agree with your points on.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Well yeah the pad is an obvious limitation. Still though my brother for example was a really exceptional Halo 3 player. From the sounds of it about where you were in UT not the absolute top but very good. There was definitely a skill gap between him and me and him in other players in the non-MLG play lists. Perhaps not on UT or Quakes level I mean the speed of the game is obviously no where near comparable but you can definitely be good at these other games.
Some games require a different kind of skill too. Where as UT is all about super quick reflexes a game like Red Orchestra or Arma is more about careful planning and team execution. Getting your machine gunners into the right position, making sure your rifleman are covering gaps etc etc.

Yes, but as Riou said the skill cap is artificially decreased by a number of game mechanics - in Halo, mainly the analog sticks I mentioned. A maximum turn rate severely limits a players possibilities.

However the comment about a game like Red Orchestra or Arma requiring a different kind of skill is completely off. What 99% of people fail to realize is that a game such as UT requires fast reflexes and instantaneous judgement along with all the other skills you mentioned. Just because it's exponentially more difficult to do, doesn't mean that aspect is gone.

In any FPS the goal is simple - but a game like UT leaves the player with significantly more options, and significantly less time to decide which to use. tongue.gif That's why it's challenging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

Newer games reduce individual skill cap. Arcade shooters are not realistic but they require much more individual skill than newer games.
Newer FPS games are aimed more at casual gamers with how they slow down players with good reflexes and precision. Level up systems and unlocks are more about power leveling than actual action skills.

Exactly. thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI mITX XFX R9 270X 2GB Corsair XMS 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro Win7 Pro x64 Asus VG248QE 144hz Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SFX SX600-G SIlverstone SG05 Zowie EC2/Razer Deathadder Steinberg UR22 feeding KRK VXT4's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI mITX XFX R9 270X 2GB Corsair XMS 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro Win7 Pro x64 Asus VG248QE 144hz Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SFX SX600-G SIlverstone SG05 Zowie EC2/Razer Deathadder Steinberg UR22 feeding KRK VXT4's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 90


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post

And UT2k4 was the last really good game epic made.

Have you not played Gears Of War? smile.gif


UT2004 is better.
 

 

 



It has nothing to do with what's better, it's that the game was good and that it came out. Nobody mentioned anything about what they think was the best Epic Games game.

Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post

And UT2k4 was the last really good game epic made.

Have you not played Gears Of War? smile.gif


UT2004 is better.
 

 

 



It has nothing to do with what's better, it's that the game was good and that it came out. Nobody mentioned anything about what they think was the best Epic Games game.

 

Well I would like to think lattyware hasn't lived under a rock for the past decade so would already be aware of Gears of War.

 

So if he states that UT2004, which was released a couple of years earlier, was the last really good Epic game, then yes, that does make it better, in his opinion and mine. :)

 

 

War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 90
Oh man, unreal tournament was the first game i ever played on PC. It was that game that made me want to get into computer gaming. My uncle was always a pc gamer, and i remember always being so excited to go over to their house for some family event or holiday. I think i was probably about 12 years old, screaming "HEADSHOT!" or something along those lines while my family ate thanksgiving dinner lol. Honestly though, im nostaliging HARD right now. I think i may go and pick that game up.... biggrin.gif
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hax View Post

Yes, but as Riou said the skill cap is artificially decreased by a number of game mechanics - in Halo, mainly the analog sticks I mentioned. A maximum turn rate severely limits a players possibilities.
However the comment about a game like Red Orchestra or Arma requiring a different kind of skill is completely off. What 99% of people fail to realize is that a game such as UT requires fast reflexes and instantaneous judgement along with all the other skills you mentioned. Just because it's exponentially more difficult to do, doesn't mean that aspect is gone.
In any FPS the goal is simple - but a game like UT leaves the player with significantly more options, and significantly less time to decide which to use. tongue.gif That's why it's challenging.
Exactly. thumb.gif

Like I said I agree with you on the sticks.

However I do not think that UT requires the same team skills a game like RO or Arma or even a game like battlefield. This kind of reminds me of the mmo debate on whether server/world firsts require skill or knowledge. I'd argue that they require both. Making a game slow does not make it inherantly less difficult. Your enemies are strapped with the same limitations you are. At the end of the day the battlefield is just as even and the difference between the good players and the bad is the score at the end. You said you knew a guy who would come into UT servers and go undefeated. I've seen people do the same thing in Modern Warfare and Battlefield. I do believe that the lack of movement speed makes reliance on quick reflexes less important however it also introduces a new dynamic into the gameplay that can't be ignored.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Like I said I agree with you on the sticks.
However I do not think that UT requires the same team skills a game like RO or Arma or even a game like battlefield. This kind of reminds me of the mmo debate on whether server/world firsts require skill or knowledge. I'd argue that they require both. Making a game slow does not make it inherantly less difficult. Your enemies are strapped with the same limitations you are. At the end of the day the battlefield is just as even and the difference between the good players and the bad is the score at the end. You said you knew a guy who would come into UT servers and go undefeated. I've seen people do the same thing in Modern Warfare and Battlefield. I do believe that the lack of movement speed makes reliance on quick reflexes less important however it also introduces a new dynamic into the gameplay that can't be ignored.

I do agree to an extent. Anything played in versus mode is only as difficult as the opponent. The medium doesn't matter.

However I will never agree that they have equal skill ceilings. I don't understand how you think a decrease in speed adds "a new dynamic into the gameplay". If people can do it faster, it's still the same 'dynamic'.

As I've said before, one playing a game like CoD has nothing to do but refine the same tactics over and over and over... the games extreme limitations prevent you from doing anything else. A game like UT allows one to work on the same tactics used in CoD (yet many times faster) OR learn new tactics (because other possibilities exist within the game play).

As another example, I've seen near-professional players that never even learned to hammer jump (it allows you to reach platforms/areas more quickly or move around the map MUCH faster). It's part of the game, but they never had time to learn... on the other hand I've seen relatively terrible players that know how to hammer jump consistently. I've also seen everything in between and hundreds of other interesting tactics that only certain people ever learned or created.

Interesting variations in skill like that don't exist in CoD because the option isn't even there - everyone is just polishing the same thing ad nauseum. What else are they to learn?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI mITX XFX R9 270X 2GB Corsair XMS 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro Win7 Pro x64 Asus VG248QE 144hz Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SFX SX600-G SIlverstone SG05 Zowie EC2/Razer Deathadder Steinberg UR22 feeding KRK VXT4's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI mITX XFX R9 270X 2GB Corsair XMS 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro Win7 Pro x64 Asus VG248QE 144hz Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SFX SX600-G SIlverstone SG05 Zowie EC2/Razer Deathadder Steinberg UR22 feeding KRK VXT4's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post



 


It has nothing to do with what's better, it's that the game was good and that it came out. Nobody mentioned anything about what they think was the best Epic Games game.

Gears of War was medicore at best. Rubbish multiplayer, meh singleplayer.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Joystiq] Mick Capps: Epic Games has a PC-exclusive game in the works