Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › GTX580 on 1280x1024 = CPU Bottleneck?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX580 on 1280x1024 = CPU Bottleneck? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

No, going to a higher resolution won't magically release a CPU bottleneck. It might not be as noticeable, since the framerates will be less in general. But the CPU is going to be doing the same amount of work, regardless of the resolution. All you're doing by increasing res, is you're going to be increasing the GPU load. CPU load will stay nearly the same.

Ok, so im assuming there's very few people out there who can play this game without those fps drops on really heavy action maybe? Granted, those fps drops are not that usual, I have to make really HUGE explosions to recreate them, but still, I just don't know how much more cpu power will I be able to provide it


-edit- ah ok, I just read your last post, thanks!
Little Beast
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 Pro Asus GTX 970 Corsair Dominator 8gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 64bit 
PowerCase
Antec HCP-850W Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 Pro Asus GTX 970 Corsair Dominator 8gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 64bit 
PowerCase
Antec HCP-850W Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_5110 View Post

res bottleneck. when i ahd Q600 + gtx 420 and went from 1280x1024 to 1080p. i gained 20 fps average in everything...

No, you didn't. In fact, that's impossible, if all else remained the same except the resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

No, going to a higher resolution won't magically release a CPU bottleneck. It might not be as noticeable, since the framerates will be less in general. But the CPU is going to be doing the same amount of work, regardless of the resolution. All you're doing by increasing res, is you're going to be increasing the GPU load. CPU load will stay nearly the same.

^^^ What PiL said.

Just to clarify ... the only way the CPU 'load' could go down by increasing the resolution ... is because your game is running at lower FPS, because the GPU is under more stress. Therefore, it's running slower, and ergo, the CPU has a lower work demand per time-slice, as it's essentially responding to the GPU's requests for data.

So ... while YES, you can help remove a CPU bottleneck by increasing the resolution (or increasing gfx settings) that's NOT the same thing as 'increasing your FPS' by increasing the resolution. It's the opposite in fact. You remove the CPU BN by decreasing your framerate, basically. Although it doesn't always work, because not everything your cpu does for a game is directly related to framerate. AI calcs, for example, are fairly independent of the FPS, that's more tied to the games 'internal' clock, if you will.
Edited by brettjv - 4/7/12 at 8:13pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

No, you didn't. In fact, that's impossible, if all else remained the same except the resolution.
^^^ What PiL said.
Just to clarify ... the only way the CPU 'load' could go down by increasing the resolution ... is because your game is running at lower FPS, because the GPU is under more stress. Therefore, it's running slower, and ergo, the CPU has a lower work demand per time-slice, as it's essentially responding to the GPU's requests for data.
So ... while YES, you can help remove a CPU bottleneck by increasing the resolution (or increasing gfx settings) that's NOT the same thing as 'increasing your FPS' by increasing the resolution. It's the opposite in fact. You remove the CPU BN by decreasing your framerate, basically. Although it doesn't always work, because not everything your cpu does for a game is directly related to framerate. AI calcs, for example, are fairly independent of the FPS, that's more tied to the games 'internal' clock, if you will.

Yes i did hahaha. i miss typed. i mean Q6600 and GTX 460. i was having arround 33% to 55% gpu laod on every game i played on 1280x1024.

99% when using 1080p screen.

Sorry but you are wrong.
My build?..
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k  asus p8p67 pro B3 Asus GTX 670 2GB DCII G.skil ripjaws X 8GB 1600MHz cas8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD western digital caviar black 1TB sata3 western digital caviar black 750GB sata2 Western Digital MyBook essential 2TB usb 3.0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate external HDD 2TB usb 2.0 LG lightscribe 24x sata2 corsair H100 Windows 7 ultimate 64bits 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG G2420HD 24''  ASUS PA238QR 23'' LED IPS LG 42CS570 120Hz TV Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder 3.5G CM storm weapon of choice m4 
AudioAudioAudio
BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro Tritton PC510 True 5.1 Headset Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX 
  hide details  
Reply
My build?..
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k  asus p8p67 pro B3 Asus GTX 670 2GB DCII G.skil ripjaws X 8GB 1600MHz cas8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD western digital caviar black 1TB sata3 western digital caviar black 750GB sata2 Western Digital MyBook essential 2TB usb 3.0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate external HDD 2TB usb 2.0 LG lightscribe 24x sata2 corsair H100 Windows 7 ultimate 64bits 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG G2420HD 24''  ASUS PA238QR 23'' LED IPS LG 42CS570 120Hz TV Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder 3.5G CM storm weapon of choice m4 
AudioAudioAudio
BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro Tritton PC510 True 5.1 Headset Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_5110 View Post

Yes i did hahaha. i miss typed. i mean Q6600 and GTX 460. i was having arround 33% to 55% gpu laod on every game i played on 1280x1024.
99% when using 1080p screen.
Sorry but you are wrong.

Oh, sure, your GPU load would've gone up by increasing the resolution ... that's to be expected as you've increased the amount of work the GPU has to do.

However, your FPS should not ever go up because you raised the resolution.

Doesn't matter what the CPU and GPU are, I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't work like that ... unless the drivers were accidentally programmed in a way that only held back performance at lower resolutions for some odd reason.

I suppose that's conceivable but it would be exceptionally rare. Perhaps you stumbled upon that particular scenario, but if you did I can almost guarantee that'll be only time in your life you'll see that happen wink.gif
Edited by brettjv - 4/8/12 at 8:45am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
i hope it would be the only time i'll see it.

And it DIT happenned. Yeah it put more load on the gpu and when you get from 1 310 720 pixels to 2 073 600 pixels but from 33% load to 99%. THERE IS AN IMPROVEMENT.
My build?..
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k  asus p8p67 pro B3 Asus GTX 670 2GB DCII G.skil ripjaws X 8GB 1600MHz cas8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD western digital caviar black 1TB sata3 western digital caviar black 750GB sata2 Western Digital MyBook essential 2TB usb 3.0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate external HDD 2TB usb 2.0 LG lightscribe 24x sata2 corsair H100 Windows 7 ultimate 64bits 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG G2420HD 24''  ASUS PA238QR 23'' LED IPS LG 42CS570 120Hz TV Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder 3.5G CM storm weapon of choice m4 
AudioAudioAudio
BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro Tritton PC510 True 5.1 Headset Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX 
  hide details  
Reply
My build?..
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k  asus p8p67 pro B3 Asus GTX 670 2GB DCII G.skil ripjaws X 8GB 1600MHz cas8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD western digital caviar black 1TB sata3 western digital caviar black 750GB sata2 Western Digital MyBook essential 2TB usb 3.0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate external HDD 2TB usb 2.0 LG lightscribe 24x sata2 corsair H100 Windows 7 ultimate 64bits 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG G2420HD 24''  ASUS PA238QR 23'' LED IPS LG 42CS570 120Hz TV Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D Razer Deathadder 3.5G CM storm weapon of choice m4 
AudioAudioAudio
BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro Tritton PC510 True 5.1 Headset Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
To be sure, it's 'an improvement' by a certain definition, and it is 'removing the CPU bottleneck' ... but you DIT NOT get 20fps improvement in 'every game' by raising the resolution ... that's impossible, dude.

For one thing, there's simply no way that you can remove a CPU bottleneck by raising the FPS. The higher the FPS, the MORE LIKELY you are to have a CPU bottleneck. And furthermore, there's no way your GPU is going to run FASTER when you raise the resolution like that.

Here's a simple example. Say, at a lower resolution, you are running at 30FPS, because you are 100% CPU BN'd ... every frame is being held back by CPU perf. Your CPU is going as fast as it can to produce 30FPS, and your GPU is only running at 33% usage, which signifies the CPU BN. Then you raise the resolution significantly ... what happens then is that your GPU usage will go up as the GPU has more work to do, but your FPS ... will either go down, or at best, it might remain the same.

It simply cannot go UP, because we've already established that your CPU can ONLY RUN THE GAME at 30fps. Raising the resolution cannot possibly cause your CPU to magically be able run the game faster than it could before. Nor could causing the GPU to have to do more work than it did before ... make IT run any faster, either.

You're either mis-remembering what happened, or you did not test thoroughly enough in a truly apples-to-apples, 'controlled' sort of way.
Edited by brettjv - 4/8/12 at 9:22am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Yes, GTAIV (this was from EFCL but does it matter?) is a weird game, here is my GPU-usage graph using 2500k@4,5ghz and GTX560ti at stock, shadows high, night shadows off and view distance 50 everything else maxed out vsync=off @1080p, min fps 42 so very playable but I wonder how powerful cpu you need to run this at 99% constant gpu-usage?

440
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4,5GHz @1,336V Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 MSI HD7950 TFIII @1150/1500Mhz@1,1v  8gb Team group Vulcan 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB WD Caviar blue 1TB LG Coolink Corator DS 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 home 64bit BENQ G2320HDB @72Hz 4+ years old fujitsu siemens XFX core edition pro 750w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 ultimate Logitech G5 steelseries WOW-edition 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4,5GHz @1,336V Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 MSI HD7950 TFIII @1150/1500Mhz@1,1v  8gb Team group Vulcan 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB WD Caviar blue 1TB LG Coolink Corator DS 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 home 64bit BENQ G2320HDB @72Hz 4+ years old fujitsu siemens XFX core edition pro 750w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 ultimate Logitech G5 steelseries WOW-edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

To be sure, it's 'an improvement' by a certain definition, and it is 'removing the CPU bottleneck' ... but you DIT NOT get 20fps improvement in 'every game' by raising the resolution ... that's impossible, dude.

For one thing, there's simply no way that you can remove a CPU bottleneck by raising the FPS. The higher the FPS, the MORE LIKELY you are to have a CPU bottleneck. And furthermore, there's no way your GPU is going to run FASTER when you raise the resolution like that.

Here's a simple example. Say, at a lower resolution, you are running at 30FPS, because you are 100% CPU BN'd ... every frame is being held back by CPU perf. Your CPU is going as fast as it can to produce 30FPS, and your GPU is only running at 33% usage, which signifies the CPU BN. Then you raise the resolution significantly ... what happens then is that your GPU usage will go up as the GPU has more work to do, but your FPS ... will either go down, or at best, it might remain the same.

It simply cannot go UP, because we've already established that your CPU can ONLY RUN THE GAME at 30fps. Raising the resolution cannot possibly cause your CPU to magically be able run the game faster than it could before. Nor could causing the GPU to have to do more work than it did before ... make IT run any faster, either.

You're either mis-remembering what happened, or you did not test thoroughly enough in a truly apples-to-apples, 'controlled' sort of way.

I actually will have to beg to differ with you on one point here. Raising the resolution up from an example of 1024x768, up to 1080p, that will NOT remove a CPU bottleneck. All it does, is shift MORE load onto the GPU. The CPU load is going to stay exactly the same in 99% of games out there. The difference is that you're going to have more of a GPU load, as its more pixels to push. As such, your framerate will drop because of the framerate increase. You're still going to be limited on the low end by the CPU, regardless of resolution.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › GTX580 on 1280x1024 = CPU Bottleneck?