Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading to intel 1155 vs 2011?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading to intel 1155 vs 2011? - Page 2

post #11 of 38
Thread Starter 
Oh and I almost forgot, what do you gyz think would be the best motherboard to buy? The sabertooth or the p9x79 pro?
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010001011001 View Post

Oh and I almost forgot, what do you gyz think would be the best motherboard to buy? The sabertooth or the p9x79 pro?

Look at the features you want. I was deciding between the Rampage IV Extreme and the P9X79 deluxe, and in the end went with the Deluxe because it had more USB 3.0 ports, wifi (I needed) and a second LAN. Just go with the one that has the features you want. They will both OC nearly the same, if not exactly.

As for 1155 vs 2011, I went 2011 and wish I went 1155 instead. The 1155 systems can OC better because the CPUs produce less heat and have less cores. plus the integrated GPU can provide encoding for media that 2011 can't offer. So for an all-around great machine, I think 1155 is a better choice. And this is coming from a 2011 owner.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 38
Sabortooth has more options, like 3 way sli/cf, bluetooth, more of a gamers board, probly more option for oc'n and other stuff. probly get a higher oc with the sabortooth. Same price, go with Sabortooth, Even when you sell the 3-way sli/cf will help as a selling point.
post #14 of 38
i would go with 2011 socket, 1155 is fading away, When buy computer hardware, the newtech you buy the long it can go without an upgrade for a while.

Plus once agian resale value would be more for 2011. But once its released there awill be 1155 out there for cheap! But the agian your are buyin used, prices will drop on the new 1155 as well, but as for new models of 1155 socket boards, its over with, while the will come out with a few more 2011 boards.

I hope i helped
post #15 of 38
The Z77 chipset is newer then the x79. It has native USB 3.0 as part of the chipset, and not even X79 has that. 1155 is still going strong with Ivy bridge support while 2011 is still on Sandy bridge. 2013 will see Ivy bridge Extreme on 2011.

keep in mind, 2011 isn;t meant to replace 1155, it is just an extreme platform that only really offers more PCI-E lanes than 1155.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 
Hmmm you gyz have given me a lot to think about. Im still leaning towards the 2011 socket though because it's more up to date than 1155. I might buy the sabertooth because I'm able to water cool the nb/sb where as the p9 I'm not able to. Thanks gyz
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post

IB is still going to be the final edition to LGA 1155 before it is obsolete. Why go that route if you can afford LGA 2011?

And Ivy-E will be the final edition to 2011. 2011 is behind 1155 in terms of when things are released, it has no more of an upgrade path (in terms of architecture) than 1155 does. 2011 only really makes sense if you need the extra cores and/or if you need the extra PCI lanes. 2011 does not have an IGP, it runs hotter, draws more power and its more expensive. The difference in cost is only slight with a 3820, but a 3820 doesn't make much sense to me unless you plan on upgrading to a 6 or 8 core later on. The whole "2011 is going to be around longer" makes zero sense to me. It'll be around longer because its at least 9 months behind 1155, not because it has more options. While mainstream users are moving on to Haswell and socket 1150, 2011 users will just be getting IB for their rigs a few months before.

The interesting thing with IB is the heat it supposedly creates. There are no guarantees that it will OC any better than SB without high end cooling. What info we have to go on now, strongly suggests that IB won't OC any better on both air and water. That means for those that want to run on air, IB could be a poor choice. Water could be a little better, but it still remains to be seen. If these rumors about heat are true, I can only imagine how much of a factor heat will be with 6 and/or 8 core versions of it. Nothing will be known for sure until after the 29th, but there are a few previews out there that clearly show heat to be a legitimate concern.
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010001011001 View Post

Hmmm you gyz have given me a lot to think about. Im still leaning towards the 2011 socket though because it's more up to date than 1155. I might buy the sabertooth because I'm able to water cool the nb/sb where as the p9 I'm not able to. Thanks gyz

2011 isn't more up to date. Just the opposite. Its a fair amount behind 1155. IB will be released on the 29th of this month for 1155. 2011 won't see IB until sometime in 2013.
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3824 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post

IB is still going to be the final edition to LGA 1155 before it is obsolete. Why go that route if you can afford LGA 2011?

And Ivy-E will be the final edition to 2011. 2011 is behind 1155 in terms of when things are released, it has no more of an upgrade path (in terms of architecture) than 1155 does. 2011 only really makes sense if you need the extra cores and/or if you need the extra PCI lanes. 2011 does not have an IGP, it runs hotter, draws more power and its more expensive. The difference in cost is only slight with a 3820, but a 3820 doesn't make much sense to me unless you plan on upgrading to a 6 or 8 core later on. The whole "2011 is going to be around longer" makes zero sense to me. It'll be around longer because its at least 9 months behind 1155, not because it has more options. While mainstream users are moving on to Haswell and socket 1150, 2011 users will just be getting IB for their rigs a few months before.

The interesting thing with IB is the heat it supposedly creates. There are no guarantees that it will OC any better than SB without high end cooling. What info we have to go on now, strongly suggests that IB won't OC any better on both air and water. That means for those that want to run on air, IB could be a poor choice. Water could be a little better, but it still remains to be seen. If these rumors about heat are true, I can only imagine how much of a factor heat will be with 6 and/or 8 core versions of it. Nothing will be known for sure until after the 29th, but there are a few previews out there that clearly show heat to be a legitimate concern.

Oh man haha you've convinced me to go back to 1155. What exactly is haswell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3824 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010001011001 View Post

Hmmm you gyz have given me a lot to think about. Im still leaning towards the 2011 socket though because it's more up to date than 1155. I might buy the sabertooth because I'm able to water cool the nb/sb where as the p9 I'm not able to. Thanks gyz

2011 isn't more up to date. Just the opposite. Its a fair amount behind 1155. IB will be released on the 29th of this month for 1155. 2011 won't see IB until sometime in 2013.

When you say that doesnt it mean lga1155 could last another 2 years or so? I am pretty much convinced to buy 1155 now because it cost so much less and has close to equal performance.
Edited by 1010001011001 - 4/8/12 at 12:55am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010001011001 View Post

Oh man haha you've convinced me to go back to 1155. What exactly is haswell?

haswell is the nexgen platform it will use 1150 socket.
like some other already pointed out, 2011 is not more up to date than 1155, infact 2011 is late. 2011 is just the extreme version of 1155, they both have the same upgrade path, and they will both die the same. if you have the money for 2011 and you actually going to use the extra features then why not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading to intel 1155 vs 2011?